r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back from Chicago...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back from Chicago...
    Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 10:54am
My wife and youngest son's girldriend went to Waukegan to see him graduate from Great Lakes Naval Recruit Training Command.
It was quite an experience for all of us.
Wasn't too bad cold, people were very nice and friendly.
I teared up several times.
Cry When the National Anthem was played/sang in the manner of which it was meant to be played;Clap When I was able to pick out my son, that was a toughie. They all looked alike. LOL
And when we dropped him off back at the base, after spending an afternoon eating lunch, talking about what he did, where he was going.
I'm one proud Dad. Big smile
Yesterday afternoon, he was in San Diego, and he gloated about the beautiful, sunny 70 degree weather.
Helluva change from Great Lakes.Tongue
Wandering life's backroads with my wife, our 2 four legged children; Chloe the odd Pug, and Tia Maria, the smallest Chihuahua I'm aware of.
Life is good.
Mrs. 'Piper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs. 'Piper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 11:01am
Having grown children who live far away is bitter sweet.  You are so proud of them and what they are doing and happy that they are happy, but very difficult to be apart............even more pronounced right after you've been with them.  I hear you on the national anthem being played in the manner in which it was meant to be played..........God bless your son for serving our country.
Mrs. 'Piper (Anne)
Sandpiper (Carroll)
RPOD 177
Site #196 2011 Eastern Roundup
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Blademaker Blademaker wrote:

My wife and youngest son's girldriend went to Waukegan to see him graduate from Great Lakes Naval Recruit Training Command.
It was quite an experience for all of us.
Wasn't too bad cold, people were very nice and friendly.
I teared up several times.
Cry When the National Anthem was played/sang in the manner of which it was meant to be played;Clap When I was able to pick out my son, that was a toughie. They all looked alike. LOL
And when we dropped him off back at the base, after spending an afternoon eating lunch, talking about what he did, where he was going.
I'm one proud Dad. Big smile
Yesterday afternoon, he was in San Diego, and he gloated about the beautiful, sunny 70 degree weather.
Helluva change from Great Lakes.Tongue
Blade
We were in Waukegan about 10 years ago when our son was in the Naval Reserves and got his training there.  It is QUITE a ceremony.  It is such a moving experience.  Just seeing him in his dress whites and being so proud of him was really memorable. After his stint in the reserves, he transferred to the KY National Guard.  He has since been in Afghanistan for a year.  We are so proud of our young people. Clap
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 11:49am
Glad your back safe Blade !!! Welcome home ....

Good to hear everything went well with your visit.

I have been up there too, to watch one of my older brothers graduate. Impressive facility. The National Athem always chokes me up when performed properly.
I believe my favorite is the gentleman that sometimes sings it at Yankees stadium. He is a tenor, and to this day Ive never heard it sung better. Being an avid sports viewer, I hear it alot !

God Bless the Troops !!!
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 2:42pm
Approve
Oh that does bring back memories.  My husband did his naval boot camp at Great Lakes.  We stayed in Waukegan a while too where he did his next training.  Wow, that was a very long time ago.
Glad your journey was good.
Congrats to your son. 

In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 12:44am
Glad you had a nice trip and congratulations to your son.  I could tell by your writing you are a very proud dad.  Like everyone else, when I hear the National Anthem, cuz I can't sing it, I choke up.  Jim sang with a group at work, the National Anthem at one of the Brewer games in Milwaukee, it was beautiful.  Separation from family is hard, but the times together are priceless.  I appreciate my daughter, son-in-law, and 2 grandkids more now when they come to visit us or we go back to Milwaukee to see them. 

Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic