r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RVer or Camper?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RVer or Camper?
    Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 10:55am
I read an interesting article about the differences between RVers and campers.
It got me thinking. We are campers. Have been tent camping for as long as we can remember. As we've gotten older we see the wisdom of pulling a hard sided tent behind the car with our own bathroom.

However I can't see us changing our camping lifestyle all that much once we have our r-pod. I imagine that most of our meals will be cooked and eaten outside. In the evenings we will probably still sit around the campfire rather than staying inside watching television. We just like being outdoors.

I'm curious to see how other podders think of themselves.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 11:13am
Hi there Peggy L - - -  Just drilled down and read the article you referred to. In the end, I question whether the definitional difference matters as long as you enjoy what you are doing. As an old duffer, I believe I'm beyond enjoying putting up a tent in the rain and other such niceties of true, classic camping.  On the other hand, we truly enjoy pulling up in our 173 R-Pod no matter what the weather and settling in for a week of enjoying a national park such as Yellowstone or a state park such as Custer. Possible it is that we really don't fit the definition of a camper; and possibly we really don't fit the definition of an RV'r. Is it possible that we're just R-Poder's?  Enjoy your new R-Pod and your various trips.  Joe  Smile 

GrandPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 11:52am
 Peggy
 You right that your basic camping skills will continue when you have your pod. The things you won't have are water coming thru the sides of your tent when it rains, you won't have to waist an hour setting up your popup. Just pull in and start enjoying your camping adventure. We still spent most of our time outdoor and sit around the camp fire at night. I enjoy cooking outdoor so I do most of the cooking; love to cook bacon and eggs in the morning and grill a steak in the evening and usually will cook up a couple of hamburger or Johnsonville Brauts for lunch. Food just taste better outdoors. Still enjoy roasting marshmellows on a stick over the campfire. Happy Podding.
 Tom
Tom And Linda
Rpod 177                      Southwest florida

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 12:28pm
I've tent camped, and RV camped. It all seems like camping to me.
The best parts being cooking outside, and around the campfire in the
evening. You can't really get that anywhere else other than going camping.
I feel a RV is camping.
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 1:28pm
Wink  Camping.  I've only ever tent camped until we got the pod (ralph?).  Seems like most of like to be outdoors, sit around the fire, etc.  So why all the discussions of getting bigger tv's for the pods??  That little one would do me if there's a rainy spell and I don't have a good book.
For the same reason I couldn't see a unit with a sofa.  It's too much like taking a miniature version of you house behind your car.  Hey, I like comfort, that's why I have the Pod but I also like camping.
An old lady's version of "roughing it."
Approve
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

duder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 2:25pm
ClapDitto SylviaBlue!Beer
Chuck and Bev
2010 R-Pod 172

Happy Trails!!!!
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 4:50pm
I guess you would call us campers.  We have camped in a popup for 20 plus years.  I  have cooked maybe 4 times inside the popup in all that time.  Our friends still tease us about having the same propane in the tank that we started with. LOL  I admit that I do not do 5 course meals when we camp.  It is my vacation too.  Burgers, hotdogs, steak, and sandwiches are all on the menu when we travel. I may use the microwave/ convection oven in the pod.  I DO like to have popcorn at night. lol

Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 5:21pm
We've had occasions of sitting outside at a campground when a big rig pulls up. Pretty soon you start hearing the Jeopardy theme song and the sound of the microwave dinging. But you never actually see the people. I never considered this camping and resented these people parking next to us. The article helped me see that these are just people who want to travel and take their house with them rather than enjoying the camping experience.

I think what I'm reading is that most of you are like us and enjoy the camping but like to have a few of the luxuries. We've finally reached that point in life. I don't think we'll give up tenting altogether though. There's a place in Maine that has the best tent camping around. Nothing beats pitching a tent halfway down a sand dune overlooking the ocean and eating lobster at the picnic table!
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
kotasnana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kotasnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 5:34pm
Both
Chrysler town and country
Eastern roundup site 10
R-pod 175
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 6:46pm
For me, camping involves a backpack, perhaps a canoe, a lightweight tent and sleeping bag, some basic foods, an ultralight stove, a wineskin full of water, one change of clothes, several pairs of socks and underwear, and some sturdy boots.  It involves a solitary campsite beside a lake, a tiny fire made with slender deadfall that was broken-up by hand.  It involves a glorious starry sky, the sounds of crickets and katydids and unknown animals rustling in the underbrush and the occasional trout splashing.  It involves the company of a good friend, sometimes two-legged, but most often of the four-legged variety.

Nothing compares to that feeling at the end of an exhausting but rewarding day as you sit by the fire, sipping on a too-hot mug of cocoa, taking in - being a small part of -  nature's boundless glory.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic