r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Convection Microwave Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:40pm

I'm sure there's a learning curve involved ... but what a way to learn !!! Big smile   mmmMMMMM...cookies !

jjbescher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjbescher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 7:24am
Mine is coming with one.  Since I have a convection oven at home, it should be fairly easy to use for us.  One thing that I have learned is to cut the time it takes to cook the majority of stuff to about two-thirds the time.
R-Pod 173T towed by a 2003 Honda Pilot
Site # 164 Eastern Roundup
dogwalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 1:11pm
I tried the convection baking again this weekend, and burnt the stuff to a crisp once again. I lowered both the temp and the cooking time. I just can't seem to get the hang of it.    Our microwave is the Sylvania SC 11100. Could someone who has used it successfully talk me through this?? If I am baking cinnamon rolls, the directions say to preheat to 400 (I did 350) and to cook for 13 minutes (I did 5). I followed the directions in the manual exactly. When I put in the time, it came up as 5H 00. I know that is 5 hours, but I baked them for 5 mimutes, and they went from doughy one second, to hard as a rock the next. What is the sequence of buttons to push??? This is very frustrating, not to mention the Pod smells like burnt rolls.
Thanks for your help!

2PeasInAPod
Smoky Mountains, TN
Mrs. 'Piper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs. 'Piper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 4:24pm
As the microwave is a different brand than ours at home and we don't have a convection oven, I had to have the manual in hand the few times I've used it so far.  Since picking up the pod in October, we've only been able to camp for a week.  But I am sure once we start camping I will need to have it right there for quite a few times before I get the hang of the this particular brand and the convection part. 
Mrs. 'Piper (Anne)
Sandpiper (Carroll)
RPOD 177
Site #196 2011 Eastern Roundup
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 4:31pm
For convection cooking, I leave the heat the same and lower the cooking time by 40% (e.g. instead of cooking for 10 minutes, I'll cook for 6).  I usually don't bother setting the timer on the convection oven because of the time it takes to preheat... I just set it for an hour, wait a few minutes for the oven to preheat, put my food in the oven, and then use my watch.

However, based on what you said about cooking your cinnamon rolls, I'd be worried that your oven thermostat is off (for cinnamon buns to burn in 5 minutes, it would have to be 500 degrees in there).  If I were you, I'd check the oven temperature with an oven thermometer.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
dogwalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 5:26pm
Outbound,
Thanks for the advice. My husband also thinks that the "contraption" is not right. Is this the correct order?? Push the convection button, then the proper preheat button...after preheat is done, place food in, then put in time? We are thinking to do as you said next time, not use the number pad to enter time, just use our watch or just the timer on the microwave. Would that work? Also, on one of your other posts, which are always so helpful, you said it could be used as a "regular" oven. Is that in the compu bake mode??? I am determined to get this thing to work! I'm so in awe of all the people who have made cookies, pizza, etc. And you...an entire Thanksgiving feast. I can't imagine!!
Forever grateful...
2PeasInAPod
Smoky Mountains, TN
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by dog walker dog walker wrote:

I tried the convection baking again this weekend, and burnt the stuff to a crisp once again. I lowered both the temp and the cooking time. I just can't seem to get the hang of it.    Our microwave is the Sylvania SC 11100. Could someone who has used it successfully talk me through this?? If I am baking cinnamon rolls, the directions say to preheat to 400 (I did 350) and to cook for 13 minutes (I did 5). I followed the directions in the manual exactly. When I put in the time, it came up as 5H 00. I know that is 5 hours, but I baked them for 5 minutes, and they went from doughy one second, to hard as a rock the next. What is the sequence of buttons to push??? This is very frustrating, not to mention the Pod smells like burnt rolls.
Thanks for your help!

We don't have one in the Pod but use a micro-convection at home. Make sure that you don't inadvertently select " fast combo cooking" or some other setting like it when you want to bake. that setting activates both the micro wave and the convection cycles and heats things real quick. Ours is a GE so yours will have different wording but the idea is the same in all of them.

Take care,
Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 6:30pm
dogwalker, I'm happy to help Smile

My r-pod is hibernating in a storage lot two miles from my house, so I can't go out and check, but based on my fuzzy memory (and looking at the manual), to pre-heat and then bake:

1) Press CONVECTION
2) Press the number key for your oven temperature
3) Press START
4) Wait.  The oven will pre-heat to your selected temperature.  It will beep at you when its pre-heated.
5) Put your food in the oven.  Close the door
6) Key in the cooking time (remember: reduce the cooking time by 40%)
7) Press START

Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 11:03am
I struggle with setting the time.  5 minutes always turns into 5 hours. 

We usually disable the smoke detector while cooking.  It seems the blast of hot air when you open the door confuses the alarm making it think the place is on fire.
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
dogwalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 11:47am
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I used the exact sequence that Outbound described for setting the oven, per the manual, but my things still burned. I will take his advice and check the oven temp. As someone suggested, both the micro and bake modes may have been activated someway. My husband wondered if it might be from using the number pad to set the time, maybe that actived the mirco. I think our plan for next time is to preheat, then just put the food in, but not use the number pad to set the time. I'll eventually figure it out; trial and error! Has anyone tried just using the timer on the oven? not the number pad? Also, does anyone know WHY it comes up in hours in convection mode? Has anyone figured out how to correct that? Would putting in 05:00 work?
Thanks again for the suggestions...
2PeasInAPod
Smoky Mountains, TN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic