r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New R-Pod 171 Owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New R-Pod 171 Owner
    Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 12:25am

I purchased a 2010 R-Pod 171 last week from Jeff Couch’s Campers in Hamilton, OH for about $13,000.00 fully loaded with all options. I live in Northern California so I had them deliver it to Salt Lake City, did not want to drive the full distance to Ohio or pay the full delivery charge, so I went to Salt Lake City and picked it up last Tuesday; I’ve had it about a week.

I don’t have any pictures to post yet because I’ve got to wash it; lots of snow and road dirt on the return trip, but I did get a chance to camp out a couple of nights in the R-pod and I am completely satisfied. Already thinking of some modifications; like putting a second battery on the tongue, etc.

This same R-Pod 171, without all of the options, would have cost me about $19,000.00 here in California. I shopped around and even went to a local dealership and looked at some R-Pods, and then I went on the internet and stumbled onto this forum and Jeff Couch’s dealership. I saved a bunch of money and the process was smooth and pleasant. I also saved on registration fees here in California because California charges about 10% of the purchase price to register a vehicle.

I drive a Ford Edge and I was amazed at how comfortable it was towing the R-Pod. I feel like I made and excellent purchase in both choosing the dealership that I did and the R-Pod type of travel trailer. This is and upgrade for me; I camped in a pop-up tent trailer for about 5-years and just sold it and purchased the R-Pod; this R-Pod is a whole nother experience and as I am retired I'm looking forward to doing a lot of camping this year in my new R-Pod; may even take a 3,000 mile trip up to Alaska this spring camping out along the way.

bob & Linda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob & Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 1:11am
Congrats and welcome. 
wbillar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbillar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 8:51am
I also have the 171.  Walmart regular fitted sheets fit the bed.Don't get the more common ones for larger mattresses  (ours also has a memory foam topper which really makes the bed snug and surprisingly comfortable).  To make the bed I start at the back corners lifting (bending up) each mattress corner with out kneeling on the sheet.  I pick up each far corner then stand on the floor for the two corners nearer the front of the trailer.  Making the bed was definitely one of the bigger challenges for me with the 171. 
Bill
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:23am
Larry, Congratulaitons!  As a fellow 171 owner I applaud your choice!  We got ours at a competitive price in Florida (good location for us).
Join us in Kentucky this June.  Tongue
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:02am
Congratulations, Larry!!!

I'm sure you will love your 171.

~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:15am
Welcome Larry
There are several forum members from California.  I think that they are trying to get a Pod Roundup started for your area.  We would love to have you in Kentucky in June.Hug
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 11:12am

Wbillard, thank you for the tips on making the bed; I’ve already purchased two sets of Wal-Mart regular fitted sheets but I was challenged by making the bed even with the fitted sheets. The foam topper is also a good idea, although I found the bed very comfortable sleeping in it on my return trip from picking up the R-Pod.

Kentucky sounds great, I’ve never been there, but as earlier mentioned I do have and Alaska trip planned; thinking about leaving in April and returning in June; about 6,000 miles round trip. Nonetheless, keep me posted! Where would I find the info on a possible California roundup? Would it be in the “Adventures” thread?

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! A little about me; I am retired military and also retired from the State of Colorado. I own a home in Fairfield, CA and live alone. I do a lot of camping on military bases because it is rather inexpensive; tax free gasoline, groceries, etc., and the camping fees are also cheap. I also have a Good Sam Club card but mostly camp at State and National Parks because of my veteran’s status I get a discounted rate.

I’ve been debating whether to sell my home and go full-timing in and RV. I talk a lot to the folks on RV.Net who are doing that and it seems like a nice adventure. I haven’t made up my mind yet and will probably wait until the market comes back before I decide to sell my house, if I decide to sell my house. In the mean-time I’m sure I’ll be doing a lot of camping all over North America. Just thought I’d introduce myself and give you kind folks some background on my situation. I look forward to our continued discussions and possibly meeting some of you in person down the road a piece.

Larry

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 11:16am
Congrats Larry !!! What an excellent choice ....

We bought ours at Couch's too, and it was a very smooth, friendly, and rewarding experience.

There is a California Round-up getting together. You should look into that.
But if your up-for a long excursion, alot of us will in in Kentucky in June ....

Oh, and if you like label-attachments, any ideas about naming it ???
We got a thread going for that too !!!

There is also alot of "MODs" in the Mod Forum, please check them out !

Welcome aboard Larry, and again, Congrats on the 171 !!

Thumbs Up
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 5:21pm
Welcome and congratulations Larry.  Your trip sounds like a great adventure.  Wish we could join you.  Jim retired the end of October and is loving it too.  We can't wait to get on the road.  Happy and safe travels to you.  Keep us updated on your trip.  Where's your picture???
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
geneowens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 8:26am
Sounds like in the rare event that someone wants/needs to sell their POD, a CA vacation should be in the plans!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic