r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GVWR?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoTak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 5:02pm
When I use yizit's first link to calculate tow limit for 2007 Odyssey.
GCWR(8210 lbs.) - GVWR(5952 lbs.) = 2258 lbs. only....

It is almost Dry weight for 172.
This result tells me that I should not tow with Odyssey.

Now I am so confused what I should do.
2010 r-pod172
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by GoTak GoTak wrote:

That calculation makes no sense to me.  I don't see GCWR - GVWR being a useful number.

The GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) is the total maximum weight of vehicle + trailer + people + stuff that your Odyssey is capable of hurtling down the highway.

The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the total maximum weight that your Odyssey is capable of carrying (either in the vehicle or on top of it), and, most notably, the maximum amount of weight that your vehicle's braking system is capable of safely stopping.

-----

Given what you said in your first post, my gut feeling is that you're going to be very close to your Odyssey's limit.  You should really check it out at the weigh scale.  Load up your family, your camping gear and trailer and head to the weigh scales.  See how much your loaded vehicle really weighs.  See how much your trailer really weighs.  Then, check and make sure that you don't exceed your tow capacity or your GCWR.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by GoTak GoTak wrote:

It is almost Dry weight for 172.
This result tells me that I should not tow with Odyssey.

Now I am so confused what I should do.

Out bound is right, you are assuming that the Odyssey is loaded to the limit. Run the Odyssy over a scale loaded as you would towing the trailer. Deduct that weight from the GCVWR and you know what you can tow. Would be nice if there would be at least a 10% safety cushion.
Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
GoTak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoTak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 11:14am
Thank you for all information.
2010 r-pod172
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 1:24pm

I did a little research for you and it appears that 2007 Honda Odyssey is not the best kind of towing vehicle for anything over 2,000 lbs. It’s rated to be able to tow 3,500 lbs but everything that I’ve read says that you should install a transmission cooler on the Odyssey if you‘re going to pull that kind of weight. It can be done without the cooler but from what I’ve read I would not advise it.

Ideally you should have about 1,000 lbs between the maximum towing capacity of your tow vehicle and the dry weight of your trailer. This leaves room for options, cargo, etc.

If I were you I’d talk to two or three different mechanics about your 2007 Odyssey’s towing capacity; get two or three opinions; also see what your owner’s manual says about towing. Forget about GCWR, etc. it’ll only make things complicated. Look at what your vehicle can safely tow and then look at the dry weight of what you want to tow. Consider options and all of the other weights later. That’s my best advice!

Click on this link and read what it says about transmission issues:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Odyssey#Transmission_issues

Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 1:39pm

P.S. I should also add that Honda Odyssey is a top rated minivan, but another consideration would be the Towing Model as described in the article.

yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 11:40pm
Exceeding any of the weight ratings of the RV or the tow vehicle is nothing more than a negligence lawsuit waiting to happen. If it's proven that you exceeded the manufacturer's ratings in any way, it can easily be argued that constitutes negligence on your part in the event of an accident.

The best way to look at it is to take each and every maximum rating and make sure you are under every one of them. Especially after you are loaded, fueled and ready to get on the road. Often, the only way to do this is to load up your rig and head for the nearest truck stop with a scale. Weighing your rig and understanding the weights you get are key to a safe outcome.

Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 1:58am
Originally posted by yizit yizit wrote:

Exceeding any of the weight ratings of the RV or the tow vehicle is nothing more than a negligence lawsuit waiting to happen. If it's proven that you exceeded the manufacturer's ratings in any way, it can easily be argued that constitutes negligence on your part in the event of an accident.

The best way to look at it is to take each and every maximum rating and make sure you are under every one of them. Especially after you are loaded, fueled and ready to get on the road. Often, the only way to do this is to load up your rig and head for the nearest truck stop with a scale. Weighing your rig and understanding the weights you get are key to a safe outcome.

Amen
Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Larry Larry wrote:

Click on this link and read what it says about transmission issues:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Odyssey#Transmission_issues

Fortunately for Go Tak, the transmission issues in the article refer to second-gen Odysseys and the 99-01 models were specifically identified as having problems with the transmission.  Go Tak has a 2007 and, according to the article, it "has fewer transmission problems compared to the second generation, and 2005–2008 overall reliability has been average to better than average according to Consumer Reports."

Of course, Wikipedia, by its nature, is not an authoritative source and the information should be verified elsewhere.  I'd also suggest that anything that Consumer Reports has published should be taken with a very large grain of salt; their reporting of Suzuki Samurai rollovers in 1988 was completely manufactured, misleading and irresponsible and I lost trust in everything they've ever published  (NY Times Article).

Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 8:42am
I concur, always get a few opinions from different sources.
It's the only way to come to an informed conclusion, or assumption.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic