r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GVWR?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoTak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GVWR?
    Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 3:56pm
Hi everyone;

I have 172 since last September but I don't have a Vehicle to tow yet.
Specs on R-pod site says:
Dry Weight: 2113lb
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 3179lb

I have a Honda Odyssey with tow capacity 3500lb.
What does this GVWR 3179lb include?
What is difference between Dry Weight and GVWR?

I have two 6V batteries, TV and TV antenna as the options other than that all standard. Total weight of my family of 4 is 330lb. Can I take all my camping gears with us? I will remove 3rd seat from Odyssey.

Thanks;
2010 r-pod172
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 4:04pm
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 4:54pm
Howdy GoTak !!

IMHO you are as they say "taking it to the limit" as far as towing capacities go.
I would not recommend it.

The links that Yizit has furnished are some "Great" resources to refer to. I recommend you read them.

For the most part, no-one can really tell you if you can or can't do something. Its best to add up the numbers and compare them to the specifications according to what equipment you have.
(in this case your "loaded" vehicle, and your "loaded" TT)

IMHO, a tow-vehicle with a 5000lb towing capacity for the r-Pod is safe and reasonable.
There are many posts here that cover the small/mid-sized trucks and the small/mid-sized vehicles.

The Honda Odyssey has come up many times here, so there may be some good infoe for ya.
Do a search here using you vehicle name.

Good Luck !  Camp Fire 
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by GoTak GoTak wrote:

Hi everyone;

I have 172 since last September but I don't have a Vehicle to tow yet.
Specs on R-pod site says:
Dry Weight: 2113lb
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 3179lb

I have a Honda Odyssey with tow capacity 3500lb.
What does this GVWR 3179lb include?
What is difference between Dry Weight and GVWR?

I have two 6V batteries, TV and TV antenna as the options other than that all standard. Total weight of my family of 4 is 330lb. Can I take all my camping gears with us? I will remove 3rd seat from Odyssey.

Thanks;

GoTac,

Dry Weight (UVW) usually consists of the trailer without options, without propane and no battery.
GVRW is maximum loaded trailer weight, period.

Here is what I have done to determine what I can tow with our Ford Escape.

2009 Escape V6 Auto 4WD

Curb weight:  3546 lbs  (does not include gasoline)
GVRW:            4641 lbs

GCVWR:          7240 lbs

To the curb weight I added: Tank of gas, 2 persons and baggage est. at 700lbs. Add this to the curb weight and your TV weight is now 4247 lbs. I use an equalizer hitch and that will add about 200 lbs to that. So now I am at 4447 lbs.

GCVWR:   7240 lbs
         -      4447 lbs
          =    2793 lbs  left over for total trailer weight, and that does not leave much of a safety margin.

I can not afford to get another TV so we will load the trailer very lightly but if  anyone is buying a new TV, please get something that is rated for 5000 lbs.

Take care,

Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
rpodmania View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpodmania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 7:16pm
So what your saying is a SUV thats rated at 3500lb tow capacity is NOT a good Idea to tow an R-pod
From what Ive seen on the forum here a lot of people are using vehicles in that 3500 tow range with no problem(so they say) after all isnt that what the R-pod was made for smaller tow vehicles?
Thats what the dealers push too as did mind when I bought my 171 last fall and after taking it out one time before winter hit towing with my Hyundai Santa Fe (3500lb tow capacity)I not so sure that I feel all that secure towing with the Santa Fe Which is to bad as we went with the DEALERS ADVICE on the 3500 lb tow rating and purchased the 09 Santa Fe so we could tow the R-podCry
I think I may have made a huge costly mistake
2010 171
Ford f-150 5.4L
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:06pm

I think that the best thing to do is just add everything up. My TV is a V6 2008 Ford Edge with a 3,500 towing capacity; according to the specs my r-pod has a 1,060 lb cargo capacity, so you add up the weight of whatever options you have on the pod and that will give you your “Dry Weight.” The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) for my r-171 is 3,181 Lbs, so add a full propane tank, battery, and water to the options, and what you have remaining is for other stuff; this includes the weight of the people in the pod. GVWR is the weight that the axle can handle and anything over that may cause problems for the pod axle or burn out the transmission on your TV.

Personally I have no problem towing with a 6-cylinder mini SUV Ford Edge. It even does great climbing hills and going over mountain passes. But I do not carry any water in my tank when I am traveling; I have bottled water and other drinking liquids in my TV. So I’m way under the GVWR when I travel. Now at campgrounds I fill the water tanks and I put 4 jack stands (cost about $10 each) under the pod to help support the descending jacks which are already on the pod. I’ve pulled a trailer for many years with a 6-cylinder and have never had any problems. You will know if the weight is too much; your TV will strain when traveling.

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:20pm
I wouldn't say you've made a mistake rpodmania .....

Just keep weight as light as possible. The r-Pod is made for lighter tow vehicles.
The stats might show that you are "within" your particular specifications, but once you've got the TV loaded, full tank of gas, r-Pod loaded and hitched it may be darn close.
Having an electric brake controller does help is some respects, but I believe that keeping a watch-ful eye on weight will pay off.
Try some local camping or just take a joy-tow to get to know the feel of how the TV handles.

As Ive mentioned, we towed from OH to IL after purchase and believe me, I knew the Pod was there, but I've never towed for that length of time before. It actually did very well, and there were times I "wish" I had a bit more HP, but we are weekend campers and use our TV more for other uses.

yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:25pm
Make sure your TV is set up for towing...(eg..radiator etc)  We blew a transmission pulling a pop-up that was "close" to towing weight in short time, and it was set up for towing.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by rpodmania rpodmania wrote:

So what your saying is a SUV thats rated at 3500lb tow capacity is NOT a good Idea to tow an R-pod
From what Ive seen on the forum here a lot of people are using vehicles in that 3500 tow range with no problem(so they say) after all isnt that what the R-pod was made for smaller tow vehicles?
Thats what the dealers push too as did mind when I bought my 171 last fall and after taking it out one time before winter hit towing with my Hyundai Santa Fe (3500lb tow capacity)I not so sure that I feel all that secure towing with the Santa Fe Which is to bad as we went with the DEALERS ADVICE on the 3500 lb tow rating and purchased the 09 Santa Fe so we could tow the R-podCry
I think I may have made a huge costly mistake

It will depend on how heayy you load the Santa Fe, how many people and how much cargo. With a light or reasonable load you should not have a real big problem.

On the Hyunda website there are no figures for GVWR or GCVWR, they only give you the curb weight of the Santa Fe and without these figures it's next to impossible to calculate actual towing capacity of the vehicle.

I don't know what class of hitch is on the Santa Fe but you should have a class 3 and tow with equalizer bars. If you don't, I would spend the money on it because it does make a world of difference.

Make sure that the trailer brakes are adjusted properly, that'll save your bacon one day.

And you are right, the dealers push this tow rating but seldom tell you to do the math.

Manufactures establish the tow rating of a vehicle by taken the curb weight of the vehicle, gas and driver, nothing else.
Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 11:47pm

The other thing is I think it is important to watch your RPM’s when towing; you don’t want that needle to stay on 5 (k) or over 5 for too long and if you reduce your speed it will most likely also reduce your rpm’s when you are towing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic