r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GVWR?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 9:24am
Load up your Pod exactly the way you would for camping.  Take it somewhere and have it weighed.  As for the dealers, it's sad to say this but, they will do anything to sell a camper.  Including telling a lie.  That is a generalized statement as there are of course some truthful dealers out there.  Just not many.

Terry
gepaine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gepaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 7:56pm
The weight ratings for our 2008 Toyota Sienna make no sense at all to me. The GCWR is 7827, the published curb weight is 4270, and the towing capacity is 3500 lbs.

Doing the math:

7827 - 4270 - 3500 = 57 pounds

According to this, the only way one can tow 3500 pounds is to find a driver and fuel load combination that does not exceed 57 pounds!

Maybe hire a 2nd grader and only carry a gallon or two ??!!

So far our Sienna has handled fine when pulling our R-POD, but I am very cautious about how much cargo I carry.
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT- Life is not just about gas mileage!
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by gepaine gepaine wrote:

The weight ratings for our 2008 Toyota Sienna make no sense at all to me. The GCWR is 7827, the published curb weight is 4270, and the towing capacity is 3500 lbs.

Doing the math:

7827 - 4270 - 3500 = 57 pounds

According to this, the only way one can tow 3500 pounds is to find a driver and fuel load combination that does not exceed 57 pounds!

Maybe hire a 2nd grader and only carry a gallon or two ??!!

So far our Sienna has handled fine when pulling our R-POD, but I am very cautious about how much cargo I carry.

Curbweight is the empty vehicle without gasoline. So, 100 lbs for gas, 2 people and lets say 200 lbs of luggage makes for 700 lbs.

curbweight= 4270
                 +   700
                     4970 deducted from 7827 = 2857 lbs, thats what you can tow.

This is without any safety margin whatsoever, and yes the manufactures tow ratings are not always explained.

Ford states it very clearly, the 3500 lbs tow rating is for the vehicle, gas and driver. Everything else that you put into or on the vehicle comes of that rating. That is why they publish a GCWR.
Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 11:08pm

So what is the people weight that auto manufactures use when doing these calculations? I mean do they calculate based on a person weighing 150 lbs; because given the obesity rate here in the U.S. I doubt if the average weight of a person is 150 lbs. I weigh 200 lbs. and that’s the preferred weight for my height and BMI according to my doctor. If they are calculating based on a 150 lb person I would think that they are under-estimating things.

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 11:28pm
I would assume that they do an average weight calculation.

100lbs Gas
200lbs cargo
=300lbs

subtract that from 700, you get 400lbs. For two people that would average 200lbs per.

But IMHO if your at the 500lb line (over/under) then it should be of some concern.
Over 500 and I'd feel ok with that. (over 500lbs under limit)
Under 500 then I'm concerned. (close to limit)

Ive seen some Ridgelines at their forum that are tote'n some "big units!"
But they have mod'd out their Ridgelines to compensate, to some extent, and I'm sure the RVs are of a lightweight nature.
postalpanzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote postalpanzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 3:06pm
My experience with consumer reports has been spot on  My parents were divorced but separately bought a white ford tempo and a white mercury topaz sister vehicles basically the exact same car.  Consumer reports had marked on reliability a full black circle for the air conditioning and the engine.  Both vehicles the air conditioning broke and both engine blocks cracked.

My nissan sentra had a full black circle on exhaust system and it rusted out three times in 5 years

My dodge intrepid had a full black circle on power windows and transmission   the driver side power window broke and I had to get my McDonalds drive through by opening the door and reaching around.  I didnt wait for the transmission to go.
postalpanzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote postalpanzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 3:11pm
we have a Mercury Mariner  3L V6 six speed automatic we just got our R pod 177  Are you saying that this is not a proper towing vehicle for an R Pod?
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 4:01pm
I tow with my Hyundai Santa Fe V-6 With no problems. It did not have a tow package. I had one put on at U-haul and Couch's added the Equalizer E-2 for weight distrubution and sway control. I have never had any problem so I think you should be fine.
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by postalpanzer postalpanzer wrote:

My experience with consumer reports has been spot on  My parents were divorced but separately bought a white ford tempo and a white mercury topaz sister vehicles basically the exact same car.  Consumer reports had marked on reliability a full black circle for the air conditioning and the engine.  Both vehicles the air conditioning broke and both engine blocks cracked.

My nissan sentra had a full black circle on exhaust system and it rusted out three times in 5 years

My dodge intrepid had a full black circle on power windows and transmission   the driver side power window broke and I had to get my McDonalds drive through by opening the door and reaching around.  I didnt wait for the transmission to go.
Remember, no 2 vehicles are alike. All your statements mentioned "my" which means that your vehicle parts failed and not everybody else at the conditions you used them in. 2 identical vehicles will not last the same time because of manufacturing tolerances and parts that are attached to it.

As far as your Mariner, you should be fine with it as long as you're not planning on going back and forth to the Rockies and ensuring that you stay within the weight limitations for your vehicle. Tow ratings and such are for safety, rather than the capability of your vehicle. Usually, brakes and vehicle weight plays a big role on how much a vehicle can tow. A good example would be a RAM and a Viper: both have the same engine, but I guarantee that you'd destroy the Viper towing the same trailer you would with a RAM.

You should also watch the stuff you place in your POD, for it too has a GVWR. 

Hope all is well. Good Luck!

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic