r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Like moving into a new house

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Like moving into a new house
    Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 11:26pm
Just bought our new R-Pod last november. We didn't get a chance to take it out after the bugs got worked and before the temps went below freezing. So I've been spending a lot of time this winter modifying and adding to the R-Pod to make it suit my needs as much as possible. Things like toilet paper holders, paper towel dispensers, towel racks, mirrors, etc. are never there in a new place.

My wife, Judy, and I are planning on driving to Alaska next July, so we want to make sure everyting is as comfy as possible. Thanks to some suggestions I've seen on the R-Pod Nation I think I'll have it ready to go by spring.

Here are some of the mods I've done so far. I'm going to try to attach pictures, hope that works, too. Mine is an R-172 with the two bunks in front.

Installed a 12 volt (cigarette lighter) outlet in the cabinet above the stovetop where the TV plugs in. Now I can plug an inverter into the 12 volt outlet, the TV into the inverter, and run the TV from my batteries. The existing wiring also allows enough power for a 12 volt crock pot, so I can be cooking a crockpot dinner in the trailer while I'm driving.

I purchased extra netting and hooks from Forest River, put in some oak supports above the oven, so we can now store light items, such as bedding, towels, and paper products in that unused space. I think the photo of that also shows a towel rack on the back side of the oven.

The major mod we did was split the top bunk in two. I cut it even with the front edge of the shower, removed all the attaching screws, and put hinges in back (front of the trailer) of the bunk, to allow it to swing upward. There I put in a bar bolt and a hook to keep it up and out of the way when not in use. I anchored a 1X2 to the right wall and screwed a plywood and an aluminum strip to the left side to hold both ends in its functional position. We'll put both mattresses on the bottom bunk unless someone is going to be sleeping in the top bunk. Now we have extra storage on the remaining fixed part of the bunk, plus we can sit on the bottom bunk without bumping our heads on the top bunk. This is one mod we planned on doing even before we bought the 172.

I replaced the single propane tank holder with a dual holder.

Finally, just today I installed a porthole window in the door. You would not believe how much light that lets into the front of the trailer. I don't have a picture of it yet.

pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 11:47pm

Wow, sounds like you have been busy.  We all love pictures on this site.  I know that I am anxious to see the window in the door and hear how you did it. Thanks for sharing.

Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 12:09am
Welcome Don.  You sure have been busy.  After we ordered ours without the upper bunk, we wished we would have left it in and thought about doing exactly what you did....live and learn.  Would love to see pic's.  Raising the lower bunk to bench height is something we are glad we did.  Have many happy and safe travel.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 10:08am
Tongue  Busy busy busy.  Would love to see more pictures.  I'm sure you'll be ready for Alaska long before July!
Don Johnston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 12:04pm
OK,
Here are the rest of my pictures that I was not successful in uploading last night.  I also took photo's of the door this morning.

Here's the bunk. Note the cargo net to the left of the folded up part.

I couldn't get a very good angle on the door because of where it's parked, but you can get the idea.

For those who may be interested, this is what the core of the door looks like. I assume the walls are similar.

Don
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 12:15pm
I really do like the door.  Great job.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 1:45pm
Great Mods Don ...

I really like the "round" window in the door ....

You should post these in the Modifications section as well ....

Im sure that door window is going to be a big "hit' here  !!!
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 2:32pm
Will you please come to the Eastern Roundup in June and do my door? I love that.

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 3:03pm
Where did you find the window?

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Tink Tink wrote:

Will you please come to the Eastern Roundup in June and do my door? I love that.
Me too!!!!  Come to the Roundup.  Make the money to pay for your trip.  Put in windows for us.Big smile
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic