r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Like moving into a new house

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 7:42pm
Don....we wish you were leaving one year later (or a few months later) and we would join you.  Having a caravan would be kewl and it is always safer to travel with someone else.  Have a great trip.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Don Johnston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 10:43pm
Nice work on the Tink'rpod, Tink!

Thanks for the tips on the trip, folks. It's going to be a lot of driving, but there's going to be so much to see along the way. I have a copy of "The Milepost" that shows the whole drive, mile by mile. It has a nice write up on Liard Hot Springs.

I'm planning on taking extra gas (probably two gallons) for my generator, that I can use in a pinch for my truck. My truck has a 34 gallon tank, and I usually run on the top 2/3rds of that, so I should be OK. That brings up the subject of MPG discussed in another topic here recently. I get about 14.5 MPG without the trailer, but haven't yet checked it with. I'm hoping for 12 but won't be too disappointed if it runs closer to 10 MPG. That's with a Chevrolet Silverado K2500HD with the 6 liter engine.

I purchased the 12 volt outlet at the same place I bought the trailer, Motor Sportsland. I wouldn't be surprised if Auto Zone, Checker Auto, Pep Boys, or maybe even Camper World would have them. Mine came complete as an assembly. I tapped into the existing wires going to the light in the cabinet over the stove. They are a 14 gauge wire, that will handle 15 amps, or about 180 watts. That's what the line is fused for as well. Carry an extra fuse just in case. The light itself only draws 5/8 amps.

That's another subject. I found some led lights that are interchangeable with the 921 lights in the fixtures. They draw a whole lot less current, but are not nearly as bright as the existing 921's. The LED's draw .025 amps. The 921's draw .625 amps. The larger overhead fixtures have two lamps, so double the current for those. The 921's would drain your batteries in 100 or so hours if left on. With the 921 LED's you would hardly notice the difference. Caution: if you ever work with the 921 lamps while they are turned on, do not touch them with your bare fingers.  They run extremely hot. I learned the hard way.

I lowered my hitch on a bathroom scale tonight, because I was curious myself. Including two full propane tanks and two batteries it is 241 pounds. It probably was around 200 before the extra tank was added. Being that close to the hitch, most of the weight of the tank would be on the hitch.
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 11:10pm
Do you currently have anything on the "back" of the r-Pod, such as the spare tire??

And was your r-Pod "level" when you weighted it ?

Perhaps retaining a few 921s could brighten things up alittle. Replacing some with the LEDs is still helping some-what, just use the bright fixtures for those times ya need "bright" light.

Sounds as if you are well on your way to a most "excellent" adventure Don ...

We hope it's a trip of a Life-Time for ya !!!Thumbs Up
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 11:42pm
241 sounds fairly light, but I'll take your word for it. It gives me the warm and fuzzy that adding those things would not be so bad in increasing the tongue weight after all.

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 10:37am
I have a spare tire on the back. If it were not there the tongue weight would be more. I'm actually thinking about replacing the spare tire with a bike rack. I can store the spare in the back of my truck much more easily than I could haul two bikes.

My pod was level front to back when I weighed it. It was leaning to the side just a bit.

I've changed the lights in one overhead fixture to LED's, and left the original 921's in the other. There are two single light fixtures in the back of the 172, over the dinette. I'll change one of them to LED's. Both bunks each have a single fixture. I will probably change both of them to LED's. There's one fixture over the sink/stove that I will leave as is.

Don
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 12:13pm
When you change the lights over the bunks let us know.  We are getting a 172 and I like to read before going to sleep.  I will need something bright enough to read by.  Let me know if the led is bright enough.  Thanks
Pepperpod
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 1:08pm
Sounding Good !!!

A slight side tilt could effect your reading, to what degree I have no idea.
After a certain point, every thing sounds Greek to me !!
I am pretty certain that something on the back of the Pod would effect the
tongue weight.
Some where in the process weight on the rPod frame itself becomes
a concern.

I'm sure the mixture of light sources is a good idea, keep us informed !
ramblin jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 7:18pm
I too, would like to know where you found the nice round window.

In reference to your picture of the core that came out of the door: I cut a pretty large hole in my ceiling in order to install a skylight above our table. I found the ceiling to be made of a layer of fiberglass, fiberglass insulation(instead of a nice rigid foam)  and a thin veneer of wood on the inside layer. 

We are happy with the skylight, but the curve in the roof makes it hard to install a flat window or skylight. It took quite a bit of work to make it right and look professional. I am not sure I would recommend it to anyone.

Jim
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 11:09pm
I purchased the "round porthole" on ebay.  They are manufactured by CR Lawrence. I've since purchased two 14 inch square portholes (also from ebay) that I plan on adding to the front of the sides, where my 172 doesn't have any windows. We are having really nice weather in Utah this week, so I may get that done soon.

Susan at FR was happy to send me a print of the sidewalls that showed structural members in the walls. I won't be cutting any of them. She also gave me a headsup that by cutting into the walls I will void any warranty on the walls. I don't expect that to be a problem.

Someone had suggested using velcro for window shade attachment on the door window. I plan on using that for my door and also for the right side window where my folding bunk doesn't allow clearance for a drapery rod. A self adhesive velcro strip above the window should work just fine. The mating velcro can easily be sewn into some fabric for the shade.

Don
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 11:31pm
Your get'n er Done Don !!! Great infoe !!!

Is the print of the sidewalls something that could be shared ?
I ask this due to the fact that most owners won't be cutting into the walls,
but sometimes put'n a screw here, or there, might be aided by knowing where the supports are, or where they are not.

Glad your having nice weather, and get'n those "Mods" accomplished.
The pictures you posted are great. Keep'm coming !!!
Be sure to use the MODIFICATIONS folder to post them so we can easily find them for reference.

Thanks !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic