r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Like moving into a new house

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 9:07pm
Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1   Ted, You are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE IT.

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 9:32pm
My husband needs to know what you started your hole with. He didn't see a I found them on e-bay. I'm ready to do it, well, maybe not me exactly. 

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Tink Tink wrote:

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1   Ted, You are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE IT.

Not done yet tink ... I'm resizing to avoid the scroll bar to the right of the signature block.
But I'm get'n there !!!

Thanks !!!
Don Johnston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 10:17pm
Here is one manufacturer of a porthole window of the same size and configuration as the one I used.  www.crlawrence.com  Do a search for 'porthole' on their site and it should come up. I believe their list price is $65.00. Noone ever pays list price anymore, do they?

Start the hole with a 1/4 inch drill or larger, whatever size you need for your jigsaw blade to go thru.

Fairbanks, Alaska is, according to Mapquest, just over 3,000 mile from Salt Lake City. Anchorage is about the same. It's about 400 miles from Fairbanks to Anchorage. I'm figuring on between 7 and 8 thousand miles for a round trip. I'm planning on leaving June 28, and returning sometime before the end of July. I'm leaving my Brittany Spaniel and my guns (it's dificult taking them into Canada) here in Salt Lake. I'm taking my wife, my camera, my number 8 fly rod & reel, and my bear spray. That's probably a pretty good priority list, too! I have relatives of freinds who own a brewery in Soldotna. I'm told the resort at Chena Hot Springs is really neat and Denali National Park is something everyone should see. It will be a trip of a lifetime for us.

If anyone would like to join us, start making plans. The first thing on the list is a passport. Wouldn't it be neat to have an R-pod carravan to Alaska?

Don

Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 10:44pm
Don, that sounds like a great trip.  I was in Alaska when I was in my twenties and I would love to go back one day to explore.  In the summer, of course.  I hate cold weather.  Of course, there is a lot of sunlight in the summer.I did get sun poisoning when I was in Alaska.  (of course, I am very fair skinned).

(I'm also sort of excited that Pod Patrol likes the idea).  I think we would need to wait a few years until he is retired.

~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Don Johnston Don Johnston wrote:

Here is one manufacturer of a porthole window of the same size and configuration as the one I used.  www.crlawrence.com  Do a search for 'porthole' on their site and it should come up. I believe their list price is $65.00. Noone ever pays list price anymore, do they?

Start the hole with a 1/4 inch drill or larger, whatever size you need for your jigsaw blade to go thru.

Fairbanks, Alaska is, according to Mapquest, just over 3,000 mile from Salt Lake City. Anchorage is about the same. It's about 400 miles from Fairbanks to Anchorage. I'm figuring on between 7 and 8 thousand miles for a round trip. I'm planning on leaving June 28, and returning sometime before the end of July. I'm leaving my Brittany Spaniel and my guns (it's dificult taking them into Canada) here in Salt Lake. I'm taking my wife, my camera, my number 8 fly rod & reel, and my bear spray. That's probably a pretty good priority list, too! I have relatives of freinds who own a brewery in Soldotna. I'm told the resort at Chena Hot Springs is really neat and Denali National Park is something everyone should see. It will be a trip of a lifetime for us.

If anyone would like to join us, start making plans. The first thing on the list is a passport. Wouldn't it be neat to have an R-pod carravan to Alaska?

Don

If all goes according to plan we will be leaving around the same time for the Yukon and a bit of Alaska. We will be mostly visiting with family and friends in the Yukon, we lived there for 16 years.

If you have the time plan on spending a few days in Whitehorse, Yukon. Park the Pod and take a day trip south to Skagway, Alaska. It is really outstanding scenery and you could take the
White Pass and Yukon train for an excursion up through the White Pass. (google it)

Another day trip from Whitehorse is south to Atlin, BC., it is really worth the trip.

On the way up stop at the Liard Hotsprings, it's north of Muncho Lake in B.C.. The springs are natural, no concrete pool and are VERY hot at the top end. There are change rooms but the last time that we were there the security lockers did not work, so leave whatever you can in the trailer.

The springs are part of Liard Provincial Park, the camp ground is nice and we stayed there once with our fiver but I can't remember what services there were, probably only hydro. There is a private park across the road for when you are desperate.

Who knows, might run into each other somewhere up there.

Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 11:57pm
I was planning on installing a 12V socket. Where did you get the wall mount? Was it manufactured or off the shelf as is? Was it easy to install the wiring off the converter? How mush fuse did you install? Also, I would like to get dual tanks and battery as well, but unsure how much this would add to the tounge weight of the trailer. Thanks Smile
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 12:06am
I think the tongue weight of the r-Pods are around 220 - 245 ?

two full 20lb LP tanks = 75lbs ?

two 12V batteries(group 27)= let's say 150lbs ?

perhaps a case/cover & base for the tanks, and a case(s) for batteries, plus the hardware to bolt it all down. Say another 30lbs ??
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 12:29am
Does that directly increase the tongue weight by those weights or is it a portion of those weights?
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 2:12am

Don, oddly enough Anchorage, Alaska is about 3,000 miles from the San Francisco Bay Area as well; where I will be leaving from in April and returning in June. It’s a very adventurous trip and I can’t wait to camp in western Canada Yukon Territory; there is only one road that goes into Alaska; Highway 1, which I’m told is a two lane undivided road with gas stations far and few between; so I’m bringing a 5 gal. can of gas along with me just in case. Looks like we’ll both have some stories to tell but I’ll be getting back just as you’re about to leave. I'm fairly sure we'll see some bears and most definitely moose.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic