r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hitch Wheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitch Wheel
    Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 2:33am

So I read here in this forum how some looked for campsites that were easy to back into, and when I purchased my r-pod it came without a hitch wheel, so I purchased a hitch wheel, which also came with a lynch pin, and now I can push my r-pod around with my hands, and believe me I’m a 62 year old diabetic who is not very strong. The point I’m trying to make is that the hitch wheel made a big difference in me being able to maneuver my pod by hand and not be concerned about backing into places. The r-pod is actually pretty light when you put a wheel on the hitch; I don't know if some of you already had a wheel on your hitch when you purchased your pod but mine had none; the hitch rested on a block of wood. I used to also maneuver my previous pop-up tent trailer around with my hands, pushing it here and there, and the rpod feels about the same when I push it around with my hands.

popgoesweasel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popgoesweasel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 9:48am
Please provide source and price and model of unit you installed and if possible a picture.
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 10:37am
Ours came the same way. I have no issues with backing it up, but
a wheel or foot would have been nice.
I believe going with a wheel would reduce the clearance, but there
is a mod for that.
I think we may be considering the mod for us since we plan on adding
alittle weight to the tongue with battery & LP mod.
The hitch wheels that fold up are an interesting possibility.
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 11:00am
I Googled (what did we do before Google?)  "trailer jack wheels"  and got several good results.  Then I went outside to feed the birds, shovel snow Angry , take the trash bags which had piled up on the deck down back to the trash cans, and crank wife's car which has been sitting since friday.  (Got some cabin fever going on here!)  I had walk by and check out the Pod, I did notice that the tongue jack on mine is pre-drilled for I would guess the locking pin for a wheel.  Think now I may order one.  Rob 
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 11:17am
Yes, they are pre-drilled. An attendant where we store Astro said it's best to get
something (wheel/foot) sooner than later due to the shaft becoming
damaged and then not bein able to insert a wheel or foot.
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 12:24pm

The link below shows what I’m talking about and where I purchased it, and for me it made all the difference in the world for unhitching the rpod from my TV and and maneuvering it by hand.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/bal-tongue-jack-caster-wheel/17978

tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 12:28pm
Most 'after-market' jack caster wheels will NOT fit your tongue jack!  After getting my R-Pod...I realized that it was very hard to move the Pod around.  I measured the inner diameter of the A-frame jack and bought a caster wheel for it.  After inserting the wheel's sleeve...I found that the wheel wobbled badly.  The jack's sleeve was slightly narrower than the jack's inner diameter.  The heavy tongue weight accentuates the mis-fit.  I returned the caster wheel. After stopping at several other trailer parts dealers and all of them telling me that their wheel would fit the tongue jack.  I ended up having to return all of them.  A real waste of time and money.

I looked at the tongue jack and found that my jack was made by DOMAR trailer products.
I found them on the web: www.domarproducts.com.  They have a heavy-duty tongue jack caster wheel(Model HDC-01) for $11.30 plus shipping. 
I ordered one and got it three days later.  It fit perfectly...no wobble.
The caster wheel sleeve has a hole which fits the pin hole in the jack sleeve to lock the two together, so you can remove the wheel when you are traveling or want to set the tongue down without the Pod rolling.

So I recommend that you check to see if your Pod's tongue jack is made by Domar.  If so,
you will save time and money buying the caster wheel directly from Domar.
tsunami
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 12:50pm

The caster wheel I purchased, which is the exact one shown in the link, fits my jack post very snug and I am pleased with it. I had a similar type of wheel on my previous pop-up tent trailer and had no problem with it for the six years I owned that trailer. I think that the key is getting the right fit and the 2” fit shown in the link fits my r-pod just right; now I’m not going to say what this caster wheel will do for others; purchase it at your own risk, but you can return merchandise to Camping World within a given period of time and get a full refund if you find you don't want it. The other thing about this particular caster wheel is that it is suitable for tongue weights up to 1,000 lbs. and the base tongue weight of the rpod is about 181 lbs.

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 1:15pm
Here are some specs listed @ RV Nation for our 177.

Sleeps     4
Water Capacity - Black     36
Water Capacity - Fresh     36
Water Capacity - Grey     36
# Air Conditioners     1
GVW     2,436
Hitch Weight     240
# of Slideouts     1
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 2:12pm

Well I guess they are all different because here are the specs for my r-pod 171, as previously noted the dry hitch weight is 181 lbs, and I do consider that to be without the battery or LP bottle:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?location=rv&unittype=&page=floorviewertt&model=RP-171&choice=rpod&nav=rec&name=1170&series=RPODTT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic