r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tire size and reliability

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tire size and reliability
    Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:55am
Newbie with a 171 due anyday. Am concerned about the 14" tires. Has anyone replaced with different brand or switched to 15" wheels and tires? Will have axle lifter on the 171 when I get it. Appreciate all the information on this forum and look forward to using my new pod.
2010 R-POD 171
2003 FORD F-150
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:22am
For some reason tires really haven't been the subject matter of many posts.
There were some inquires about what came as standard equipment, and storage
questions too, but that's all I can remember right now. Do a search and plug in
tires. See what comes up.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:39am
What's your concerns about the tires?  I've owned larger TT's that came OEM with smaller tires.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Sistahs Sistahs wrote:

Newbie with a 171 due anyday. Am concerned about the 14" tires. Has anyone replaced with different brand or switched to 15" wheels and tires? Will have axle lifter on the 171 when I get it. Appreciate all the information on this forum and look forward to using my new pod.
Welcome to the forum Sistah.  Keep reading the posts and you will find that there are people on here with a lot of knowledge.  They are more than willing to help you.
If you have not already, go to the Eastern U.S. Roundup topic and read about our rally that is being held in June 2010 in Kentucky.  We would love to see you there.  Reservations should be made early, in order to get a site.
Good luck with the Pod.
Pepperpod
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 1:18pm
Welcome Aboard Sistahs !!!!
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 1:51pm
Sistahs, welcome.  Where in Florida are you?  Our pod lives in central florida.
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 1:54pm
North central near Gainesville. 
2010 R-POD 171
2003 FORD F-150
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 4:06pm
My concerns stem from many negative reports on the 14" Marathon tires and their supposed tendency to blow out with alarming frequency. Do not know how accurate those reports may be, but I am super cautious. Have had too many experiences with trailer tire blowouts in the distant past.
2010 R-POD 171
2003 FORD F-150
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 4:49pm

I looked up some reviews (Marathon in general) and pulled up mixed reviews. Alot of these had to do with RV type applications. These were back dated, and with that kind of attention you'd think they would have addressed it by now. I understand the "blown tire on trailer" situation. Frightening!!

If possible, get the specs on the tire and look for reviews on performance.
The Maker can prop their claims on expectations,
but its the buyer that does all the leg work !
In the same breath, if that particular tire walks the walk, then its warm & fuzzy time.

It does appear that RV tires have many enemies. Normal wear being way down the list.
There have been some interesting posts here concerning tires.
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 5:17pm
If I may add ... I haven't heard of any Pods losing a tire yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic