r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing an r-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDogHouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 10:29pm
My first experiences with my 173T were with a 2007 F150 with the small V-8 (4.6 Liter), that said I was not impressed with the "power" factor. The truck is already heavy and that 248 HP is really taxed in  pulling the camper in my opinion. If you go with an F150 I certainly recommend the 5.4 Liter.
I decided to trade in the F150 on a 09 Silverado with the 4.8 and 300 HP, such a better package all the way around. Not just creature comforts but pulling the Pod seems like I'm pulling without straining the drivetrain. I'm getting about 2 MPG less than with the F150 but feel more certain about getting around traffic with reliable acceleration.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. Just my $0.02
Steve and Rosa
2011 R Pod 173T * 2009 Silverado ext cab
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 10:35am
Originally posted by TheDogHouse TheDogHouse wrote:

My first experiences with my 173T were with a 2007 F150 with the small V-8 (4.6 Liter), that said I was not impressed with the "power" factor. The truck is already heavy and that 248 HP is really taxed in  pulling the camper in my opinion. If you go with an F150 I certainly recommend the 5.4 Liter.
I decided to trade in the F150 on a 09 Silverado with the 4.8 and 300 HP, such a better package all the way around. Not just creature comforts but pulling the Pod seems like I'm pulling without straining the drivetrain. I'm getting about 2 MPG less than with the F150 but feel more certain about getting around traffic with reliable acceleration.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. Just my $0.02
This is similar with having the 5.4L in the Super Duty. What were they thinking? Now, they have the 6.2L (gas) in the Super Duty - much better! BTW, 6.2L also available in the new F 150. I prefer the latter than better gas milage.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 12:05pm
Oh Kenn--When I looked at a 2011 F-150 the other week, it didn't have a 6.2L (gas), and I didn't realize this was a new option. (And the one I looked at almost followed me home too!)  Now I guess I better let the DW take the truck back to the ford dealer next time it goes in for service.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

0327wanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0327wanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:25pm
I pull my R-Pod with a Ford Escape and as long as I don't have to go thru the mountains I'm comfortable with pulling it. I have sway bars and an equilizer hitch hooked up and no worries except I can't do 110kms on the highway. (Canada). I'm thinking of trading the Escape for a 1/2 ton truck.
0327wanda
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by 0327wanda 0327wanda wrote:

I pull my R-Pod with a Ford Escape...
Have you tried the auto park feature with the POD attached? I was wondering how well this would work.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
0327wanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0327wanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 10:27am
Sorry Kenn I'm not sure what you mean by auto park. I do have grade assist which means the Escape uses lower gears when towing but I can't go over 90kms without the RPM's going sky high(over 3000). It just doesn't have the power I would like and saying that I knew it would be that way when I bought the Escape.  My sister has a 3/4 ton and I'll use it for any long hauls just need a drop hitch. Here's a question, I've read on here that you can lift the trailer? It is very low to the ground and I worry about the stuff underneath when you pull into a campsite with uneven ground.
0327wanda
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 11:39am
We pull our 171 with a Nissan Frontier, V6.  I've said it before, it's my story and I'm sticking to it.
A dynamite truck and tows without strain.  It was a great choice for us.

Thumbs Up
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

pmjensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 1:02pm

Sorry Kenn I'm not sure what you mean by auto park. I do have grade assist which means the Escape uses lower gears when towing but I can't go over 90kms without the RPM's going sky high(over 3000). It just doesn't have the power I would like and saying that I knew it would be that way when I bought the Escape.  My sister has a 3/4 ton and I'll use it for any long hauls just need a drop hitch. Here's a question, I've read on here that you can lift the trailer? It is very low to the ground and I worry about the stuff underneath when you pull into a campsite with uneven ground.

There is a lift kit for the Pods.  We have it on our 176.  It raises it 3-4 inched.  Really makes a difference when use some dump sites and you don't have to worry about scraping anything.

Happy Podding
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2011 Frontier SV
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 7:26pm

Sorry Kenn I'm not sure what you mean by auto park. 

The new Escapes have a park assist feature. The Escape will take over the steering and it'll parallel park for you automatically. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BDY7RSLHxo&feature=related

0327wanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0327wanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 10:21am
Right Kenn I got ya but mine's an 09' and I passed parallel parking when I took my drivers test lol. Reply to Magee Beach Park, Port Aransas: Can you give me a ball park figure on the cost of raising the R-Pod? Keep in mind that I live in Alberta, Canada and stuff like that may not be available. And yes I do get out of my vehicle and look at the ground before pulling into a campsite. I've pulled 5 wheels etc with racehorses on so I've been down that road a time or two. Thanks so much everyone for your input, I love this site!
0327wanda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic