r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing an r-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gepaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 8:11pm
gmandual,

Thanks for providing the distinction between tongue weight and hitch weight. Makes perfect sense now that you have explained it.

My scenario was a hypothetical one as I have not actually used the bathroom scale method. I got my numbers from weighing at a public scale. My fully loaded trailer weight was 3160 and my tongue weight was 260. So I am at about 8.2%. Not much I can do about this as I don't carry cargo inside the trailer so there is nothing to redistribute.

FYI: I am using a WDH and anti-sway bars, and have had no problem with swaying yet.
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT- Life is not just about gas mileage!
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 11:32pm
I visited the Honda Ridgeline forum and read up on its towing situation. Honda does not recommend the WDH, and as mentioned before, it could be due to the Uni-body construction.
Our "set-up" is very level, and we experienced little to no sway during our return to Illinois from Ohio.
(We hit alot of rain from Indiana to Illinois). In certain situations it did sway alittle, but that was during worse case senerios, such as being passed by two Semis while crossing an over-pass in a rain storm. (wind currents everywhere). Otherwise it handled very well, just under-powered abit for my taste. 

STANDARD TOWING FEATURES:
• Integrated closed-box frame with unit-body construction
• Integrated class III trailer hitch
• 5,000-lb. towing capacity[Premium fuel fuel recommended when towing]
• Trailer harness (RTS and RTL; RT is pre-wired for a trailer harness)
• Pre-wired for trailer brake controller
• Heavy-duty radiator with dual 160-watt fans
• Heavy-duty power-steering fluid cooler
• Heavy-duty automatic transmission fluid cooler
• Power-assisted ventilated front disc/solid rear disc brakes

The Ridgeline has an ultra-rigid unit body that’s reinforced with an integrated closed-boxed frame. This tow-friendly approach gives the Ridgeline extraordinary torsional rigidity.

mustangcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustangcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 8:33pm
I have a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6, towing capacity of 3500. I plan on getting the sway bar also. I am interested in getting the 175. Anybody out there tow with a similar vehicle and have any good info to offer? I do live near mountains and plan to camp there lots. Thanks.

Sharon
AllGood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 10:28am
We have a Nissan Pathfinder with 265 HP and a tow capacity of 6500 it handles our 172 just fine.  I would highly recommend the sway control, I have found it make a huge difference and its a cheap addition, I installed mine by myself in about a half hour, total cost for sway control and hitch adapter about $70.  As for gas mileage we get 22mpg without the trailer and 12mpg with.  As for speed I did about 70mph all the way accross Minnesota and South Dakota with no problem. 
I have found the AC will freeze you out if you have it set below 70 and the heater works so well we had to open the windows while it was snowing outside.

Good luck
R-Pod 172 2010
2010 Nissan Pathfinder
rrpdrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrpdrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 10:30am
We are newbies also.  Is a Blazer with Vortec v6 going to be satisfactory as a tow vehicle?  Don't want to blow the transmission on the first time out.  Please advise.  Dealing on a 177.  Love it, but want to make sure the tow capacity is right on the Blazer.  Thanks for any input!  New   pdrs. 
brownd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 2:06pm

I purchased my R Pod 171 3 weeks ago. Overall I am very happy with everything except the mileage I get towing it. Before the Rpod I had a Jayco popup and got 17-18 mpg. Towing nothing I easily get 22 mpg. Due to the specs of the R.Pod, I figured I would get maybe at the worst 15. Actual mileage on 2 trips in areas of some but not a lot of hills was 11-12 mpg. My vehicle is a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee with trailer tow package and the 3.7 liter six. I did as the car manual said and auto shifted into 4th instead of drive to ensure that the overdrive did not try to kick in. The car stayed in 3rd almost the entire trip, would not shift into 4th except on dead level pavement with no wind or downhill and my RPMs were 2800 at 55 mph.

The Jeep is rated to pull 3500 pounds on a trailer with a frontal area of 40 sq ft. The R.Pod is well under the 3500 pounds with my added gear and options and according to Forest River the frontal area is between 12 and 25 sq ft. I have read all of the miles per gallon posts on this site and the R.Pod user group site and most six cylinder engines are getting about the same as me. The most interesting posts were the ones that seemed to show through computer simulation that there may be quite a vacuum forming behind the Pod that really hurts performance and mileage.

My questions are as follows:

Has anyone actually used air deflectors or foils on their vehicle or on the R.Pod and if so, did they help performance or mileage?

Has anyone successfully tried any other devices or techniques to improve performance or mileage?

Thanks

Dave
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 2:34pm
Slowing down is one proven theory, and weight another.
I have noticed via posts and towing a few thousand mile myself that the 6cyl are getting the widest difference in MPG between towing and not towing. 8cyl have a much smaller difference.
Of course weather/road conditions, and ones driving style will effect mileage too.
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 2:53pm
I have noticed with my set up the biggest factor affecting my gas mileage is my right foot!!  If I drive a steady 65 mph on the interstate, fuel mileage is 10-11, if I ease off to a steady 60 mph, fuel  mileage is 12-13.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

ss76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ss76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 8:16pm
My wife and I have been looking at the 171, 172, and172T. We are planning on pulling with our 2007 Colorado. Anyone tow there unit with a Colorado?
2007 Chevy Colorado
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 9:28pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
  Share Topic