r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Direct TV while camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Direct TV while camping?
    Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 4:39pm
We have three tvs in our home and have direct tv, therefore we have three control boxes. I also have a spare satellite dish. Can I take a control box from one of the tvs in my home and use it when I am camping? I have heard you can and have heard you cannot. Is anyone doing this? Thanks JimSmile
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 4:52pm
We have checked into it Jim, and you "can" pull a receiver from home and use it. I'm not sure if there is any further charges to consider.

We went with Direct TVs Sat-Go unit. Its a 17" TV, Dish, & Receiver in one transportable pkg.
Its an additional $5 to add the receiver to our existing account.
We haven't tried it out yet (to dang cold) but will report back once we have used it while camping.

I believe you can check out DirecTV at their web-site.
jim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 4:58pm
Thanks alot pod patrol I'm going to the web site to check it out.Jim
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 6:13pm
TVs.    Nope, let's go ------------------- camping!Wink
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

pick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 8:18pm
yes you can, I do it everytime I go camping.
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 8:46pm
I take one of my direct tv receivers with me and I have one of those wineguard satellite dishes to hook it up with. There is no extra charge for it because it's already on your bill, right? I love it and it's just like being at home. Of course, if a campground already has cable, I'll just use that.

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by sylviablue sylviablue wrote:

TVs.    Nope, let's go ------------------- camping!Wink

I totally understand sylviablue !!!
As Ive stated before, I would much rather look at a campfire and the stars in the sky !!!
We dont use TV for entertainment so to speak, Cindy and I mostly watch sports.
(we really enjoy un-scripted TV).

Also there is the ability of getting weather, news, and add a small DVD player for movies & music, and when my son is with us we may attempt to hook up his game system to it.
My son is Autistic and really enjoys his technology. Im hoping to get him interested in some fishing perhaps.
In the event of alittle rain dampening the camping weekend, this system will help to pass away a few hours.
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 9:14am
Ted, I looked at the Sat-to-Go, but it looked to me that you could only use it outside. Am I wrong?

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 9:15am
Yeah I can see if you have a special need for more tech on your camping trips.  If the weather's bad I read myself or if I get the itch to watch t.v. the little one will suffice.  It's not as nice as a big one or as easy to watch but it keeps my tv time to a minimum.  Don't watch much sports in any case.
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

jim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 6:47pm
Tink
You are right I called Direct tv  and the said you have to use the unit out side.
Hope this helps.  Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic