r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flag Pole on Pod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flag Pole on Pod
    Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 11:26am
Has anyone added a flag pole to thier pod?
I was thinking of doing this before the spring podding season.
Anyone have any photos of this mod that they could share?Tongue
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
2001 Ford Expedition-Tow Vehicle
2010 Model 172 R-Pod
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 12:04pm

I added a flag pole to the front of my 171 but I don’t have a picture to show you just yet because my pod is at a dealership for mods until February 27th; at which time I’ll post a couple of dozen pictures here showing all of my mods and accessories.

Basically I glued (Gorilla Glue) a flag pole holder to the front upper curve of my pod, right over the battery box, so that I can stick a flag pole in there. I remove the flag when I’m towing; it’s just for when I’m camping. As a military veteran I also had a flag pole holder attached to my previous camper, but the flag pole holder can also be used for balloons, wind gizmos, etc.

JeepPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 8:12am
Thanks,  Larry!
Hadn't thought of the Gorilla Glue idea!
Would love to see photos of your other mods too when you get the pod back!
Lisa
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
2010 Model 172 R-Pod
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 1:23pm

Sandpiper sent me a message which I think deserves public attention regarding attaching a flag pole holder to the hull of your pod. The force of a good wind can tear at the pod’s hull when a flag is attached and damage your pod.

I am re-thinking where else I might attach a flag pole holder so as not to cause any potential damage. Sandpiper suggested the tongue. I would think that the back bumper might also be more preferable. Although these sites might require buying a vertical holder or a flag with a longer staff (pole).

Just thought I’d mention this; thanks to Sandpiper, because it is a valid point to consider when attaching a flag to your pod.

JeepPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:03pm
I have seen a few on web sites that fit underneath your pod tires and also one that fits in your tow hitch.  They are really neat, but sort of pricey - unless you can weld!
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
2010 Model 172 R-Pod
WE-2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WE-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:35pm
I have seen them made from a piece of PVC drilled for a U bolt the size of the tongue tubing.
Dick & Kyra
2010 174 L'il B'ger
09 Dakota 4.7L       
Hampton, Va.
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:33pm

Another idea is using duct tape to tape a flag pole with attached flag to the extended hand-rail located at the pod’s door. Taping it to the hand-rail would allow you to remove it when towing and also when you wanted to use your R-Dome. I don’t think I’ll be attaching my flag anywhere on the hull of the pod as earlier explained. I will either anchor my flag to the hand-raile or tongue.

Mrs. 'Piper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs. 'Piper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 9:39pm
Found this for $24.95 that mount on your trailer tongue frame.......no welding or drilling required.
http://www.toyboxcovers.com/frame-mount-16-foot-c-669-p-2-pr-218.html

And one that mounts to a 4" bumper.
http://www.toyboxcovers.com/bumper-mount-16-foot-c-669-p-1-pr-219.html

They both are for this company's 16 ft. pole (1.63" opening) but they both have options for a 22 ft. pole (1.88" opening)

Sorry, I can never remember how to make it so you can click on this and go right to the link.
Mrs. 'Piper (Anne)
Sandpiper (Carroll)
RPOD 177
Site #196 2011 Eastern Roundup
Stan and Linda Irvin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan and Linda Irvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 11:45am
www.polesandholders.com is a very good resource for a flag geek. Lights, poles, flags and all assc. Wink

I used a 12' telescopic paint pole, 1" pvc pipe and a 6" beam clamp (square muffler clamp will do also). I fastened them to our frame next to the propane tank. Add a small pulley to the tip, some rope and you have a cheap flag pole.Clap
Stan and Linda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic