r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

backing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 5:34pm
Here is a link graciously supplied by BigBit.

It shows what they call a "Swing-back" tongue jack.
These are installed to the "side" of the tongue as opposed to where the existing one is.
The existing one is in a "fixed" vertical position just behind the ball mount.
The "Swing-back" can be fixed at either the vertical, or horizontal position.
The "Swing-back" offers more clearance area between pavement and tongue.
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by tsunami tsunami wrote:

You can buy a wireless video camera and color LCD screen from Wal-Mart for $99.  The camera is built in to a license frame and can be wired into the license light wiring.  The LCD plugs into the cigarette light.  Just turn on the Pod lights and you can see behind you.  The LCD has a switch which allows you
to reverse the image, so you can turn the Pod correctly, if you get confused about which way you are turning the Pod.
One more suggestion.  My husband and I both have cell phones. We put our phones on speaker.  He steers the TV and I stand at the back to give him directions.  I LOVE TO TELL HIM WHERE TO GO!!! Big smile LOL  Had to say that.  This a tech idea, although rather low tech.  It works especially well when trying to dodge trees and picnic table. Wink

I have a picture in my mind of us trying to push the Pod in our driveway on the wheel,  and all 2300 pounds of it getting away from us.  lol
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 6:37pm
Great Idea Pepper !!! Yes, the cell phones are another "low-cost" solution. (assuming you have cell phones already)

And your 100% right-on about an r-Pod getting away from ya. That could be a very dangerous situation !!! We stressed "Level" driveway .... I hope we stressed that enough !!! Shocked 
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 7:07pm
Honestly, backing up a trailer is not that difficult.  But, it is a learned skill.  And like any skill, it takes patience and practice.  No one started out as a master backer-er-up-er.  We all had to struggle with it.

Take your pod to a parking lot and practice there.  When you get to the campground, don't worry if it takes you 10 minutes to back into your spot.  We've all been there...
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 8:42pm
We have the wheel and have used it at campgrounds too on level ground.  The ground needs to be hard gravel or blacktop.  The pods are very easy to push around.  If you are going to push the pod, put your wheel chocks in front and back of your tires before you disconnect from your TV for safety.  You don't want it to start rolling on you if you are on even a slight incline.  Our drive way had a slight incline, and we would put a 4x4 across the front of our trailer between the tires and wheel.  Removed the back chocks and then pushed it back into its parking space. 

As far as backing up, all I can say is....glad to know someone else has problems backing up.  Seems like once we start getting the hang of it, it's time to park it for the winter, and we start all over again in springConfused
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 11:00pm
Ted is awesome at driving any vehicle...to the truck, to a Class A RV, to towing the R-Pod..

He is great at backing the rpod up and lining up the hitch...I could never do it...(good thing I don't have to)
~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 12:13am
For hitching up the r-pod when I'm alone, I use the Easy Hitch.  It makes things much, much easier.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 1:31pm
Outbound....We use something very similar to that.

Pie_Pod....We'll be arriving on Thursday to the KY roundup, when will Ted be available to back up Rbug?LOL
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by yizit yizit wrote:

Outbound....We use something very similar to that.Pie_Pod....We'll be arriving on Thursday to the KY roundup, when will Ted be available to back up Rbug?LOL

We'll be there late afternoon / early evening Thursday Yizit.
But you know how campers are. They'll be beggin to back it in for ya
as soon as you pull up !!!
Knowing Outbound, he'll make you do it yourself just so he can say
" See ..... I told ya you could do it !!! "
(and he'll be right, again!)

sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 2:44pm
Align quick hitching guides.  Two magnetic, removable, flags to back up straight to your hitch.
$20.  Keepin' it simple.

http://garage-toys.com/alquichitgui.html
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic