r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

backing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PoodlePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: backing
    Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 3:05pm

we are new to towing and we are flunking backing-  we have to back our pod into our drive when we return home and Cryalthough we can pull in enough to straighten the Ford escape and the rpod once we begin to back it starts curving one way or the other- frustrating- any good tips?Confused

wbillar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbillar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 3:14pm
Put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and watch the back of the trailer in your  outside rear view mirrors.  You need to steer in the direction you want the trailer to go and follow it in that direction.  Watch your angle of the trailer in regard to your tow vehicle.  Too much angle and you won't be able to back it anywhere.  It takes a little while of you backing to notice the trailer begin to move in the direction you want.  It takes practice and patient ice.  It's a problem most of us go thorough.  Go slow and have a good spotter who can also be patient.  You'll get the "feel" after awhile.  It helps to practice at first without an audience.  Hope this helps.
Bill
yakers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yakers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 3:18pm
The best tip I ever got on backing up was from my brother in law Dan.  All you need to do is to put your hand on the bottom of your steering wheel, look in the mirrors and when you back up move your hand in the direction you want to go.  Don't over think it.  It is best to have another person do hand signals and even better to practice in an empty parking lot before you head out on a trip.
2009 174
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Trek Tandem Bike
Hobie Tandem Kayak
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 3:36pm
You can buy a wireless video camera and color LCD screen from Wal-Mart for $99.  The camera is built in to a license frame and can be wired into the license light wiring.  The LCD plugs into the cigarette light.  Just turn on the Pod lights and you can see behind you.  The LCD has a switch which allows you
to reverse the image, so you can turn the Pod correctly, if you get confused about which way you are turning the Pod.
tsunami
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 3:40pm
You mentioned backing into your driveway. If your driveway is flat, then you can get a wheel and just push the POD in your driveway. It's a quick fix and will get you to where you need to without worrying about backing it in.

I always have someone with me when I have to back the trailer. It's safer that way.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Mamajomba View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamajomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 4:20pm
I agree with Yakers.  The easiest backing for me is done by watching the side mirrors.  I learned how to back a boat by looking over your shoulder and such, but my son later taught me it is easier to use your side mirrors.  You can keep the r-pod backing straight by simply turning toward the mirror that you see the r-pod in.  Just make little adjustments frequently, if necessary, and you'll have no problem.  If you need to turn the r-pod you would turn your steering wheel away from the mirror that you want to see the r-pod in.   Confidence, though, is some of the best help.  Practice will help eliminate that  feeling that you'll gonna be in trouble.

Mamajomba
Mamajomba
"just poddin along" in a
R-pod 177
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 4:35pm
Some Great Ideas Here !!!
The intelligence of Podders never ceases to amaze me .....Clap

IMHO:
I believe that if you looking for the "lowest-overhead" procedure it would be to place your hand on the "lower" part of the TV steering wheel and turn the way you need to go.
For Example : while looking in your rear-view mirror if the Pod needs to go 'Left' then turn the steering wheel 'Left'. This method is very simple in theory, but you still need to get use to it.
Cost= $0.00

The next in-line would be (if a flat drive-way is in the mix) the tongue jack wheel !!!
No example necessary with this option. Cost= Price of wheel

The video option is a great "tech" (i luv tech) solution. I imagine there is a slight learning curve, but the idea of seeing things from other than a mirror perspective may help some of us.
Cost= $99.00 (using cost in previous post)

Lots of options .... and we all know that "options" are a campers best friend !!!

I wonder if I can get something to make that "Sound" when a huge truck is backing up.
Now wouldn't that be annoying !!! LOL
PoodlePod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PoodlePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 4:37pm
what do you mean by a wheel?
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by PoodlePod PoodlePod wrote:

what do you mean by a wheel?

Glad you asked !!

Its a multi-directional wheel that fits into the opening at the bottom of the tongue jack.

I believe that in the "Mod" section there have been some Podders go with the collapsable tongue jack, which has a "wheel" inserted into the bottom opening of the tongue jack.

As previously posted, this would allow you to actually position/roll the Pod without using the TV.
In most cases this option is very successful !!!
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 4:50pm
http://www.rpodnation.com/list-your-mods-no-comments-please_topic568_page3.html 

Try this link ... it goes to the page where a good picture of a tongue jack has a wheel inserted in the bottom.

Hope this helps !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic