r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Larry’s 171 Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larry’s 171 Mods
    Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 12:58am

It has been about 6-weeks since I took delivery of my new 171 Pod from Jeff Couch’s RV Dealership, and now have some pictures which I can finally share here with all of you about the mods and accessories that I have completed.  Some of the ideas for these mods and accessories I got from this forum; but I think it is the overall combination of various mods and accessories that makes a pod distinctly suited to its’ owner. Still I appreciate those who have shared their modifications (with pictures) here in this forum and for that reason I now share mine.

Here is a list of my mods and accessories; most are depicted in pictures below:

1.  Axle Risers

2.  Window-in-Door

3.  Sway Control

4.  Duel 12-Volt Batteries

5.  Replaced Breakaway Switch Plug and Cord

6.  LP Bottle Cover

7.  Swivel Wheel on Hitch Jack

8.  Outdoors Shower with Privacy Tent

9.  Water Filter on Sink Faucet

10. Cutting Board over Stove

11. Wire Basket with Paper Towel Holder

12. Hanging Medium Size Wire Basket

13. Two-Tier Counter Top Oval Wire Basket (Not Pictured)

14. NOAA Weather Radio

15. Full-length Mirror on Outside of Bathroom Door

16. Over-the-Door Hook on Bathroom Door

17. Over-the-Door Towel Rack Inside Bathroom Door

18. Four-Tier Bathroom Pole Storage Caddy (Not Pictured)

19. HoMedics Massage Pad

20. Adjustable Shower Curtain Rod/Clothing Hanger Rod

21. Small Removable Shelf on-side at Head of Bed

22. Overhead Storage Shelf at Head of Bed

23. Small TV Shelf at Foot of Bed

24. Honda 2000 Generator and Two Gas Cans

25. Moved Dinette Table Legs so table fits flush against wall, and moved table locking ring to opposite bench. (Not Pictured)

Axle Risers, Sway Control, and Window in the Door were done at a local RV dealer’s service department whiles all of the other remaining mods (20 or more) I did myself. Considering that I also had a do-it-yourself project in my home; remodeling the main bathroom, at the same time I was trying to get all of these mods done before my camping schedule began; I think I accomplished allot, and I am also very pleased with the bathroom remolding which I did on my house as well. Other forthcoming/planned mods for my pod include:

1.  Replace 20 lb LP Tank with a 30 lb LP Tank

2.  Put a Suction Mounted Grab Bar in the shower

3.  Purchase a small blow-up wading pool to use inside the R-Dome

Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 1:06am
10 minutes please I have to resize all of the pictures. Oooops
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 1:12am

Axle Risers showing the left side of the pod.

Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 1:15am

The next four pictures are of the window I had stalled in my pod’s door; two of these pictures show the view from inside of the pod. This window contains privacy glass and while it lets a lot of light into the pod, even with your nose pressed up against the window from the outside looking in nothing can be seen; not the dinette table, stove or sink can be made out from looking through this window from the outside. The view is clearer looking from the inside out than it is from the outside in; so I really don’t need privacy curtains but will probably put a shade up to this window anyways sometime in the near future.

Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 1:16am
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 1:27am

I know how some of you feel about Sway Control; the pros and the cons, but I felt a difference just driving the 50 miles from the dealership where they were installed back to my house. The top picture shows the bar on and the bottom picture shows the bar off.

Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 1:30am

The top picture shows my two 12-volt deep cycle Interstate batteries of the same model and battery boxes, along with a vinyl LP tank cover. I also got a new Breakaway Switch plug and lanyard because the one that came with the pod was tattered and broke before I got the pod back to California. The bottom picture is a vibrator cushion with optional heat; it can be laid out on the bed or placed on the dinette bench as shown

Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 1:32am

Swivel Wheel on Hitch Jack (This makes it a lot easier for me to maneuver my pod by hand once I have unhitched it from the tow vehicle)

Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 1:34am

Outdoors Turbo Shower with Privacy Tent (This is left over from my previous popup tent trailer; it includes a collapsible privacy tent (Shown bagged on right) and a shower head that runs on 4 “D” size batteries. Basically you fill the clear plastic pouch, about three gallons, with water and hang it inside of the privacy tent with the “S” hook shown, and when you push the button on the shower head it gives you a rather decent spray of water. I’m keeping this in the pod for hot summer days when and outdoors shower might be desirable. Of course you can also do this by just turning a hose on yourself. But this portable shower can also come in handy when dry camping with no water hookup; it can be setup in the pod’s shower enclosure and used in place of the pod’s shower.)

Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 1:36am

Water Filter on Sink Faucet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic