r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Added Storage in 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Added Storage in 177
    Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 3:12pm
 Mrs Piper and I drew up a list of modifications we wanted to do to our 177 the first week long trip we took in it. Below are two of the mods we recently completed.  The third is out to have a mirror put in it so I can't show it today but soon.
The fist mod is a galley rail above the refrigerator.  We purchased a standard oak rail at Home Depot, cut it to fit, stained it, varnished it  and fastened it in place.
This is the area before adding the rail.

This is the area after adding the rail.

The second mod is the addition of a drawer to fill the empty space under the refrigerator shown here.

I ordered Blum drawer slides and built a drawer with 1/2" plywood sides, front and back and 1/4" plywood bottom and a 3/4" Maple front stained to "almost" match the refrigerator.
The drawer slides can be seen in the photo above.  I really like the Blum slides even though they are rather expensive.  The only things attached to the drawer are the latches.

Here is the drawer front with a drawer pull I purchased from Forest River to match the ones that came with the R Pod.  Thanks for the help Marla at Forest River !

This is the plywood box.  The holes are for the screws that will attach the front to the box.

These are the latches that hook the drawer to the drawer slides.  The notches, shown at the bottom of the picture fit down over the slides.  There are two holes in the back for small hooks on the slides to fit into.

Here is a shot of the completed drawer.

Here is the opening with the drawer slides pulled out ready to install the drawer.

If you look closely at the picture above you will see small cylinders on each slide.  When the slide closes to a certain point the cylinders are triggered to PULL the drawer shut. 
The drawer is installed and closed.

Here is a shot with the drawer opened.

The knees you see to the left belong to Mrs Piper and she is praying that the thing works.  Me too cause if it doesn't -- well you figure out what will happen. Wink

In order to install the right hand slide I had to custom fit and install a mounting board as shown below.

So that's it for today and if we get the door back from the glass guy I will post pictures of the new cabinet door.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 4:26pm
OMG!  That drawer is awesome!!! It's now top on my honeydo list!  You did a great job!

I have thought about doing the trim above the oven...not a lot of room but it would hold something...

~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 4:40pm
Job well done Carroll ..... your gift for "mods" sure is showing !!!

Thumbs Up

(thanks for the tip on the "white" wire)Wink
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Pie_Pod Pie_Pod wrote:

OMG!  That drawer is awesome!!! It's now top on my honeydo list!  You did a great job!

I have thought about doing the trim above the oven...not a lot of room but it would hold something...

Pie_Pod
I just got an e-mail from Marla at Forest River and she said they have the Galley Rail at Forest River if you are thinking of putting  a rail above the Microwave.  I have her e-mail address if you want it.  She is the go to person if you want parts for your Pod. 
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 6:10pm
Oh yes...send me her email, please! 

~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 8:41pm
Sandpiper that drawer is great!!  Thanks for the pictures. Big smile
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 10:22pm
Great job!!!  Nothing like finding additional storage space sitting there and not being used.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 3:29am
Great job Sandpiper- that really does NOT look easy to get to and have it turn out right!

It is a bit silly that Forest River couldn't have included that as a very obvious place for a drawer. I doubt it would have cost them more than $10 in parts to include from the factory.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 7:27am
Fantastic job, Sandpiper!
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 8:48am
Your carpentry skills are awesome! Everything looks as if it was meant to be there in the first place. I hope you're planning to bring your tools to the roundup!
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic