r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Door with Mirror for Cabinet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Door with Mirror for Cabinet
    Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 5:34pm
The cabinet over the bed in the 177 had no door on it so we decided to build a door and put a mirror in it since there was no mirror in the R Pod. 
As you can see from the picture below the opening to the cabinet is stark.

Her is a picture of the completed and installed door.

Here is a picture showing the back of the door and the hinges I used.  A little over kill but I like this type of hinge and they are three way adjustable if you goof up. 

So there you have it and now I have to clean up all the saw dust and wood chips.Big smile
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 6:17pm
That looks great too!!

We are so behind on mods.Cry
~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 10:32pm
Great job again!!!  It doesn't seem right that owners can see what needs improvement and FR doesn't.  Window in door, door/mirror on cabinet, wasted storage compartments, etc.  The few bucks it would cost for them to do, I don't think would lose a sale.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 11:10am
Thanks for the compliment. I enjoyed making the door and it was something of a learnin experience.
In fairness to Forest River or any other manufacturer, what does or does not end up in/on an RV or any product for that matter is always a trade off.   We as consumers see it one way and the manufacturer sees it another so somewhere there needs to be a happy middle ground. 
I agree with you that to us some of the modifications seem obvious but by the same token I didn't want to spend huge sums of money to get a super duper, deluxe camper. 
Most of the modifications I have done required mostly time which I have a lot of but for Forest River costs money which they would have to pass on to us.
Over all I feel Forest River made reasonable choices and found a happy medium that satisfies the majority of our desires for a reasonable price while at the same time gave us a pretty good product for what we paid.  I think that and the uniqueness of the R Pod is what has made it so popular.
No, I don't have any stock in Forest River but I do feel we should give credit where credit is due and at the same time point out where we feel improvements can be made.
My two cents worth and now back to making saw dust and looking for spring. Clap

Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 11:24am
Another Great job Sandpiper !!! This mod is a great addition to the cabinet !!
We are removing this cabinet soon, and plan on transferring the access to the
connectors and plugs elsewhere. There was a mod here that transferred them
to a more "flat" panel and I think that's the way we may go too.
None the less, Great Job on the Door !!!!
Brin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 7:41pm
We love the mirror door that you made.  Was this made from scratch or did you use a picture frame?   Did you have a mirror cut to size or did you find a premade mirror that you built around?  I have asked Craig to build this for me and he wants to know what you did. 
Thanks so much.
Terri and Craig and Panzer
R-pod 175, 2009
2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab, Diesel
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Brin Brin wrote:

We love the mirror door that you made.  Was this made from scratch or did you use a picture frame?   Did you have a mirror cut to size or did you find a premade mirror that you built around?  I have asked Craig to build this for me and he wants to know what you did. 
Thanks so much.

Brin
The door is made from scratch.  It is red oak with the joints and pocket for the mirror routed in the rails and stiles, stained with a cherry stain and  finish coats of polyurethane.  The handle is one from Forrest River to match the ones in the pod and the hinges are hidden European style hinges. The mirror was custom cut to fit the finished door by a local glass supplier.  I'll PM you more info.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic