r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R Bed and R dome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Bed and R dome
    Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 6:18pm

We were looking at the Scamp before seeing the Rpod.  We actually had money down on a Scamp.  Then I looked at the Scamp flyer and realized the bed was only 48 inches wide Shocked !! They didn't have the measurement listed but it looked so small I called and asked.  When I saw the R pod I was thrilled with the bed.  When we picked it up however I was not impressed with the mattress.  We have our aches and pains and sleeping on it just wasn't going to make it.  I thought about the "Heavenly bed" Smile at the Westin hotel chain.  First I found a 3 inch Serta memory foam mattress on Overstock.com.  I bought the king size and cut it to fit with a regular scissors.  I put it on top of the existing mattress.  Next I found a fiberfil "featherbed" to put on top of the mattresses.  Not only is it comfortable but it keeps us cool on those hot summer nights because we don't use air conditioning. Then I went around feeling sheets for the softest and ended up with egyptian cotton which feel wonderful under and on top of us.  Finally I topped R bed with a down comfortor in a brushed cotton duvet cover.  Down keeps you warm on crisp fall nights and yet is not too heavy in the summer.  Comfy down and memory foam pillows were the final touch to RBed.  My husband said it is a little heaven here on Earth.  Rolling over for a few extra winks on Saturday morning is the best!  Sleepy !!  No dogs allowed so Gracie's D Bed sits atop the dinette bench. Wink

The Rdome was a little extra expense but well worth the money. Set up is a snap when we work together Handshake. First we slide the screen through the track at the bottom of the trailer over the stair and wheel.  We then use an inverted Coleman polylight cooler as a stepstool.  My husband stands on it right in front of the Rpod wheel.  I slide the Rdome into the track at the top of the trailer and he pulls and pushes it through to the end.  Next we slide the fiberglass pole through the casing.  He puts in the 3 roof poles while I snap the 6 side snaps.  I roll up the outside window  covers while he stakes down the Rdome.  We then roll out a poly carpet and set up our antigravity chairs.  We use the poly cooler as a little coffee table, turn on our Ipod or radio and put Gracie's dog bed down.  We are good to go.  It takes about 10 to 15 minutes total.  We  always park the Rpod so that the best view is facing the largest window of the Rdome and we sit back and listen to music and read.  Often we are lucky enough to look out over a lake or at a beautiful sunset. Definately theraputic after a long week Clap!
RPod 171 Rav 4
Happy Camping, Ted, Linda & our labradorable Gracie
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 8:47pm
I believe, Linda, that you've tapped the essence of r-Pod camping.Thumbs Up

The bed "mods" sound delightful (I'm a big fan of sleeping!) and I hope Cindy reads this post !!!

Thanks for sharing that r-Pod moment with us ..... we hope you'll have plenty more !
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 10:57pm

We ordered the Serta 3 inch memory foam mattress this evening.  I ordered a king and we will cut it to size.  We also have a 2 inch mattress topper if needed...I also bought a zippered mattress protector...It will fit 12 inches of mattress.   The mattress protector is 100% cotton and a 280 thread count. 

I think a couple comforters (one of them down) and we will be all set...

I might need to spring for more pillow..

(damn...this thing is going to cost me a fortune before I am done!)

~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Pie_Pod Pie_Pod wrote:

I think a couple comforters (one of them down) and we will be all set...

I might need to spring for more pillow..

(damn...this thing is going to cost me a fortune before I am done!)

Ah yes...but a good night's sleep is pricelessSleepy
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Linda Faust Linda Faust wrote:

We were looking at the Scamp before seeing the Rpod.  We were too, Linda...then we bought from Marie @ Country Campers after the Milwaukee RV show!

When I saw the R pod I was thrilled with the bed.  When we picked it up however I was not impressed with the mattress.  Thanks for your help here...I can't wait to make up our own "resting nests" for us and the two dogs...using some of your suggestions.  With our health challanges, a good nights sleep is most important.  
The Rdome was a little extra expense but well worth the money. Set up is a snap when we work together Handshake. We debated about the Rdome...didn't get it so far but I'm having second thoughts after reading your post.    Looking forward to meeting you in Ky. 
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
Linda Faust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 11:36am
I also like the mattress cover idea that PiePod had.  I am looking into that for ourselves.  Linda
RPod 171 Rav 4
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 4:22pm
The easiest way to cut foam is with an electric knife....cuts like butter.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Linda Faust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 10:32am
Hi yizit- Hope you guys are doin well this winter.  What a great idea with the knife.  I just used a scissors which worked too but I think the knife would have been easier.  Hope that spring comes around to Wisconsin quickly this year.  This warm wather is such a tease!!!  snow this weekend though!!!  Linda and Ted 
RPod 171 Rav 4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic