r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp ground review and recommendations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lake Ft. Smith State Park

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamajomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Ft. Smith State Park
    Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 2:54pm

Lake Fort Smith Park is about 25 miles north of I-40 off I-540 in northwestern Arkansas. The park was relocated 3 years ago when the lake's dam was expanded and the lake enlarged to 1,490 acres.  The state spent over $20 million to build this park.  The park has 20 class AAA (full hook-ups) and 10 class B (water and electric) and a one dump station.  The campsites are very nice, all look to be level and are well maintained.  The campsites are located on a loop drive with one side of the loop on higher ground than the other.  Most campsite have a winter lake view.  (I'm not sure how much of the lake you can see with leaves on the trees.)  There is a bath house on each leg of the loop.   The park has a swimming pool and visitor center with exhibits.  The park interpreters provide nature programs, guided hikes, party barge and kayak tours on the lake, weather permitting.  The park's hiking trail is part of the larger Ozark Highland Trail which traverses 165 miles of the Ozarks.  No swimming is allowed in the lake but there is a boat ramp and marina with boat rentals.  The lake has a pair of resident bald eagles and lots of other wildlife. 

One caution, Google maps and Mapquest both still show the old location of park.  The park is 8 miles north of Mountainburg, AR on US 71.  (Mountainburg is exit #29 off I-540.)  Reservations, especially on weekend, is recommended.  Winter rates, various senior (62) and disability discounts are available.  Regular rates for Class AAA: $30/day; Class B: $18/day.  Phone:  479-369-2469.     e-mail:  lakefortsmith@arkansas.com  
Mamajomba
"just poddin along" in a
R-pod 177
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic