r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Options
    Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 7:47am
Hello all, my wife and I are looking into the 176-T and two options we are considering, but would first like some input, are the cover and the bike rack.
Can anyone that may have our model or possibly a 'T' model tell us how they use and like the bike rack?  If you have pictures, that would be great, too.
And lastly, if anyone has any thoughts on the cover, that would be great.  We will be storing this outside at a storage facility - so quality and ease of install/removal would be good to know.
Thanks.
jjbescher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjbescher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 8:24am
I have a 173T.  I have taken it out twice so far, once in the snow and once in very mild weather.  Make sure to insulate the windows with Reflectix along with the platform.  I would highly suggest a heated mattress pad for the air mattress.

I have pictures, but have not had time to put them up.
jon
R-Pod 173T towed by a 2003 Honda Pilot
Site # 164 Eastern Roundup
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 11:52am

The cover we have but stoped using it. Puddles and alga were forming on the roof. If you live in a area where their is a lot of rain I would not recomend it. The bike rack we do not have but there has been other posts I believe that favored it. Back to the cover it is not that difficult to put on and take off and has its advantages keeping the trailer clean and mud daubers from building their nests. If you get the camper you will have a great time with it.      David and Danette

SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
Phil H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 6:33pm
The cover is of good quality and was relatively easy to install. The zippered door on the side to access the trailer works great!

The pocket sewn into the top for the ac and antenna is too large. The rest of the cover fits like a glove. I also noticed water collecting there, so thought about what to do to alievate the water collecting. I thought of an overturned bucket, an inflatable mattress, a pylon,... then while walking around my local hardware store, i noticed they had 4 foot diameter exercise balls on for 1/2 price. I bought a few at $7.50 each and filled them up to a soft consistancy (about 2.5 foot diameter) and slipped them under the cover on three sides of the ac unit and voila, the cover sheds water and the load of the cover and any snow is spread out over the soft exercise balls.
2010 R-pod 171 (sold)
2010 Surveyor SV251 towed by a 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 7:28pm
Great Idea Phil !!! Leave it to a pod owner to be strolling the local hardware store, see excercise balls, and a light bulb goes off ....

In your opinion, could someone use bungie chords to take up the "AC/Antenna" pocket slack by placing these bungies chords around the base of the "AC/Antenna" pocket area, or perhaps bungie them seperately ??? Do you think that might work ?
sterud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 7:38pm
Thanks to everyone for the input.  Sounds like the cover is a good thing, but now I'll just need to decide based upon cost of an rpod cover vs. a standard tarp.
Thanks again.

AllGood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 8:36am
I bought a cover from a pod poster and it works great, not too bad to put on by myself, fits like a glove, and the door access zipper great.  Well worth the money.
R-Pod 172 2010
2010 Nissan Pathfinder
penny-podding View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penny-podding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:53am
We, too, have the cover for the 172. Love it. Takes two to three of us to put on, but we have some physical limitations. Our 17 year old daughter is a great help putting it on and taking it off. I feel good about the protection it affords our R-Pod. We have lots of pine trees and the sap gets on the pod. That stuff is really hard to get off! The zipper door access is just right.
The Penny-Pod is on the road!
Penny & Russell
R-Pod 172
2006 Ford Expedition - Darth Vedar!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic