r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need the experts to help me out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbillar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 8:03pm
We put up our rdome without a step ladder.  Once the track is made wide enough and with a little silicon spray, we are able to push it through the track.  I am also able to put the poles in and snap them in from the ground and then extend them.  It's best to have two people but it goes up quickly (in about 15 minutes).  Taking it down entails waiting until the dome drys out and this is the major obstacle as we need to stay a few days to make using it worth while.
Bill
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Maryjo Maryjo wrote:

Hey Tink, I love it! The next time I go out, my Dome is going up. I did not put it up the last 2 trips because it was so windy and I did not want it to get home before I did............LOL
Maryjo,
Our dome almost left Okechobee, Florida without us!LOL  Thanks to some really great neighbors, we still have it. 
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
takeabreath3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takeabreath3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 2:54pm
ok, for all you that can put up your dome with just 2 hands!!  your great!

went to put up my dome for the first time at the dega race!  had the silicone spray, the ladder and lots of faith in myself!  could not push the dome thru the track!!!  apparently my screws are put in crooked all the way around and it took 3 of us to just get it thru the track.  the rest of it was pretty easy and i was able to get it up and loved it!!  it was perfect for sitting under and watching the rain!

i'm going out and checking the track and see if i can straighten up the screws myself, since i'm headed back out first thing monday morning!

peace, judy
Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safe in a pretty well preserved body, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up totally worn out, loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 3:08pm

You will need a thin phillips screw driver (and Ladder).  I think they wiggle out a little or I just had better leveage last week.  Found a couple lose.  Also had my Harbour frieght drummal (i think) and  ground down the edge on a couple that would not go down (just a little off the lip of the screw). 

My hands usually cramp a little because there is nothing to hold to.  I let you know if the fabric additions help after I get back from my next trip.  Theory is everything.. lets see it works.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 4:04pm
Tighten all the screws, then take some sandpaper and knock the edges off the slit in the track. Also use the sandpaper to knock the sharp corners off both ends of the track where the rdome slips in. The track is very soft aluminum, so it won't take much effort.

After that, a little silicone spray in the track and you'll be able to push it through from one end all by yourself, without a ladder.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takeabreath3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 7:33am
i did get most of the screws tightened down and straight in.  will use the sand paper today to get the rest of the edges smoothed out!

you guys are the best at helpling and offering great tips for great trips!

peace, judy
Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safe in a pretty well preserved body, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up totally worn out, loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE
wbillar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbillar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 10:19am

I had the rdome put up during my walk-through last year.  Saw how hard it was to run it through the track so I had the dealer fix it.  Never had a problem since and it goes through easily.

Bill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takeabreath3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 11:56am
i should have been attentive during my walk through to notice it!!  the r dome was already attached when i arrived so they very well knew of the problem, just did a tap dance around it and i fell for it!!  my bad!  but that's also under the heading of "hind sight"!!

i think i have now solved the problem and should have it under control from now on! 

peace, judy
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 10:57am
Glad it all worked our for you takeabreath3.  It usually does with patience and time.  Our dome goes up in ten minutes.  The silicone is a great thing!  My guy is not that tall (5'9") and he can do it without a step stool.   Those of us shorter need a boost.  I stand on the door step. 
p.s. we love the convection/microwave
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 6:48pm
You might want to use a 'square' driver rather than a phillips-type screw driver!
Every fastener I found in my POD (including the R-Dome tracks) had a 'square' hole, which is generally the RV standard fastener.  The square hole supposedly is faster to adjust and had less of a tendency
to strip.  I have had phillips-type screws strip even when only a small amount of torque was applied.
tsunami
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic