r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need the experts to help me out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 12:13pm
OUTBOUND--The micro/conv in my 177 looks good but I can move it with my fingers.  Do you think the dealer failed to properly secure it on the shelf?  The face frame trim is installed however.
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
Mountaineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountaineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 2:35pm
My wife and I elected for no microwave (camped 40 years without one!) but did get a small toaster oven which works perfectly - just don't run the oven and coffe pot at the same time.

As for the Dome, we decided that it seemed to be to big, to bulky and heavy, and to much of a pain to put up and remove EVERY trip out.  We just had a 6' awning made and it works fine, even though we have to put it up and down each trip.  The screws on the r-pod track are not placed very well and protrude into the track making it somewhat difficult to slide anything through the track - so we took a very small sanding wheel and sanded off a portion of the back of rubber slide strip of the awning.  It slides in and off easily, lightweight and takes up essentially no room.  I'm for anything that is easy to set up on a hot and humid day.  Peace!  Jerry
Jerry
YakDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 3:54pm
I agree with you, Jerry, about the microwave. Since camping is the only time my wife gets to sleep late, I set up a small table outside the trailer with my coffee maker and toaster oven. I can get my biscuits and coffee at 0600 without disturbing her.

As for the dome, there are some sites where it IS too big to fit well. I'm having a small awning made for those time. Otherwise, I really love the Dome. Even during the hot, nasty Texas summers it's a great place to hang out. Especially with the commercial fan we carry. It sounds like an airboat even on low, but it does move wind and mosquitoes really well.
YakDriver, Ain't Leo, Chaz and Lil Harry in grrr-Pod

2013 r-Pod 182G Hood River; 2013 Ford F150 STX

YakDriver's Blog
woodrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 4:11pm
Hi we had the misfortune of loosinf our microave it was suppoed to be held so as not to move. the dealer did not tighten it down. I t fell forward and the door andle broke off you could not get in the microave to get anything out(we store bread in there) It was corrected by the dealer but we had to wait till we got home.  I hope this helps
thrasharound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thrasharound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 12:36am

We use a small step stool, buy a can of silicone spray and give the track a good dose before putting it up and it is really easy to pull it thru the track.

Bob & Maureen
2006 Tundra

mdhaem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdhaem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 2:05am

Try furnature polish as a lubricant on the R-Pod tent/awning. It works better then silicone spray. Sandy also used it on the squeaky door hinge. To my surprise we've gone several months with no squeak.

Sandy & Mike
RP175
Mountaineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountaineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 11:21am
While the Dome might be tolerable once one has the knack to put it up, it does pose a storage issue.  We elected to eliminate the Dome and had a 7' canopy made - much easier to slide in the track and super easy to store.  You can google Bear Creek Canvas for their catalog (on-line); they hand make their awnings and you can get one as small as 6'.  Also went without a microwave and bought a small toaster oven which handles all of our needs.  We have camped for 40 years so a toaster oven was more than we ever had before - and I still wonder if that's camping!  Whatever you decide to do, enjoy.  Camping is not really being with or without a Dome or a microwave or an awning but the enjoyment of God's creation.  I'm already looking at dates to do my WV camping.
Jerry
Jestforpun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jestforpun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 5:54pm
Don't sweat the R Dome.  My husband, Left Brain, and I just got our R-Pod 172 in November and are using it for the first time on our trip to Florida (follow lifeinacannedham.blogspot.com for our adventures). We put up it the first time two weeks ago and again yesterday when we moved to a different RV Park.  It wasn't that bad the first time and we timed it the second attempt.  It took less than 20 minutes with two people (5'9" and 5'3") and a small step stool. 
When we heard of all the problems people had, we were almost afraid to try it, but one hint I picked up was to spray the "c" rail with silicone before sliding it into place.  It went up like a snap.  The benefits are worth the 20 minutes!  You have a rain cover and sunshade with screens that can be opened up to allow air (but not bugs) and when closed down it retains some of the warmth and you can be outside longer.
I put up a folding table with adjustable legs that raise it up quite high right over the wheel.  We added a surge protector outlet to make it easier to get to and have a small electric cooler plugged in undernearth it and a toaster oven sitting on top of it.  We like the toaster over for a variety of things.
We opted not to have the large convection/microwave installed and opted for a smaller microwave on a shelf to allow room for the coffee maker and food.  It's working beautifully and we just love it! 
I hope this has helped to rid you of those fears.  Just take a minute to read through the directions on the
dome tent and do it step by step and you can't go wrong.  Here is a photo of the toaster oven that's kept outside.

The Jester Queen, traveling with her husband, Left Brain and their cat, She Devil. Follow their adventures at http://lifeinacannedham.blogspot.com
YakDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 6:04pm
Glad to see others enjoy their R-Dome as much as we do. For any others feeling intimidated, you can go to these links for a Solo Installation and a Duet Installation.
YakDriver, Ain't Leo, Chaz and Lil Harry in grrr-Pod

2013 r-Pod 182G Hood River; 2013 Ford F150 STX

YakDriver's Blog
iamsmonk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamsmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 8:49pm
I agree that the r-dome can seem intimidating.  I was surprised how quickly and easily I got mine up the first time I tried it in our driveway.  I have to admit though, watching the video that YakDriver posted the links to was extremely helpful.  I thought the instructions with the dome were pretty crappy.  But I'm the kind of person who learns more from watching than reading.  I watched the Solo installation and Duet installation and that helped me get mine up in a snap. 
As far as storage:  I didn't care for the bag that came with it.  It's really hard to roll it up again to fit into the bag so I purchased a fairly large Rubbermaid tub.  I keep the dome stored in that along with a few other items.  That way if I have to take it down and it's wet, I can just pack it into the tub and the inside of the camper won't get wet and I can air it out when I get home!
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Tanner & Jay
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177
www.smonk.net

Let's go camping!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic