r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need the experts to help me out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takeabreath3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need the experts to help me out!
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 7:07pm
when i picked up my new puttie pod (177)on friday the r dome was ripped so they had to order me a new one!!  when the guy was talking about putting it up, i pretty much started laughing!  i'll need a six foot ladder just to get the thing on the rail and i have to do this each and everytime i want to put it up and take it down!!  OMG  i'm pretty much freaking out now!  kinda thinking about getting another type of awning! 

also the mico/conv didnt come in so they were going to have to order it!  i just told them never mind!  i'll take the cash back and get my own.  so i was kinda thinking about getting a regular micro and one of the conv toaster ovens seperate!!  of course i realize there is a space issue here!!  boy have i figured that out!  what do you guys think?

i probably ought to mention that i will be pretty much living in mine for the next several months while i'm onsite with my job!!!  as well as traveling for my vacations!!  can't miss my nascar races.

just not sure which way to go!

i should have been on the job today....but since saturday was freezing rain and then sunday it snowed all day i had to spend today moving stuff out of the pop up and into the pod!

EXPERTs i need you help, please!

peace and love, judy
Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safe in a pretty well preserved body, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up totally worn out, loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 7:38pm
Hey Judy,
While I'm by no means an expert, we did put up the r-dome awning for the first time this weekend.  I had loaded a two step foldable step stool.  It was just perfect for me using the bottom step.  I'm 5'10" tall, so you can take that into account.  We really did like the r-dome, and after putting it up the first time it's not to bad to set up.   We do have the micro/convection oven.  For some reason though, we didn't get an instruction manual with it.  The first pan of canned bisquits turned out good, the second pan when from raw to hockey puck in about 2 minutes.  Shocked  The biggest thing we encountered with the oven is step one should be  "remove the battery from the smoke detector," then proceed with cooking.  Confused  Good for you playing hookey today to play with your new tow.  Good Luck.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 8:34pm
A trick to not having the smoke detector go off is to open a window (closest to kitchen) and crank the fan to #3 before you start cooking. Other than that, taking the battery off is also a good solution. I keep the detector open when I take the battery out as a reminder that there's no battery in the detector.

Happy meals!

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 8:43pm
I think if it was me, I would skip the microwave and just get a good toaster oven (or the biggest oven that will fit in that spot).

I only use a microwave for heating things up.  You can always cook something in an oven but you can't always microwave something.

Thats my opinion.  I personally think a grill is the most important kitchen cooking surface.  I probably grill 90-95% of the time...at home or camping.
~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
takeabreath3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takeabreath3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 8:53pm
thanks guys!

r & p...if you have put up a rdome once your more of an expert than me.  i love the idea of the r dome, but was just worried that i wouldn't be able to put it up by myself!  of course i'm going to give it a good country girl try.  if i can do farm work i should be able to do it...just needed a little moral support i guess.  and thanks you for that

pie pod...i have been strongly leaning toward the toaster oven..i have a grill (tiny) that i will grill on as well as the coleman stove with table set up.  i use those when i camp at the races or take the grand kids camping.  the camp ground that i will be at in the arm pit of texas not a lot of choices) for the next couple of months is not one that i would want to leave any of my stuff out side while im at the office.  i will probably end up camping at the property before it's all said and done.

thanks for the advice....and anyone else that has a thought on the subject i would love to hear it!!

peace and love, judy
Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safe in a pretty well preserved body, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up totally worn out, loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:28pm
judy, judy, judy ....(my best Cary Grant)

Being a country girl you'd be able to teach "us" alot, thats for sure !!!
Careful about the toaster oven and the temperatures involved before placing it into/on a shelf.
I believe there are vents for the fridge and Microvection unit. These might serve well for a toaster oven, but not sure. Be careful. In a pinch, IMHO, Id get a regular Microwave then get a seperate camping oven that runs off of LP to use ouside. During the summer Im sure cooking outside will keep the inside of the Pod cooler. Thats what we plan on doing, preparing inside, cooking outside, eating inside or outside. Works for us.
But when its raining we do plan B. Plan B is crossing out the outsides from plan A!

We haven't attempted the nortorius r-Dome yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
It adds so much to the Pod ! We'll let ya know how that goes.

IMHO, I think its do-able for one person, but it takes a few times and a system. Perhaps a step-ladder too. Thumbs Up
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:35pm
Judy,

Don't worry about the r-dome.  You just push it in the track from one end.  You may need a step stool to lock-in the roof rails, but thats about it.

I'll go the opposite way to the other posters concerning the convection/microwave: buy it.  It comes with a kit to securely mount it in the cubby hole, and a trim piece that gives it a clean built-in look.  The micro/oven is a nice unit that works well.  Although its a bit on the pricey side, I think its worth it.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
takeabreath3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takeabreath3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:47pm
thanks pod patrol....i had not considered the heat in the little box!!  something to by all means take into consideration!

i might just go ahead with the micro/conv combo.  especially since i am a huge popcorn eater!!!!  then just learn to cook with the convection!  heck who knows i may become an expert at it!  NOT!
not sure why i'm really fretting about it!  i don't cook at home so what the heck makes me think i'm gonna cook in the puttie pod!!!  lmao

i'll let you guys no when i'm ready to tackle the r dome!  might even make a video.  who knows it might make it onto funniest home videos and i'll win a bunch of money!!!

peace and love, judy
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:54pm
That'a girl .... glass always half full !!!
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:23pm
Judy,

I'm 5'2" and of course shrinking.  I've put my r-dome up several times, by myself.  I do use a two step  stool to extend and tighten the poles and I love it.  I've used it as a warm area, cool area and just a shade area.  I would caution you that if your going to be at a work site all day, you don't want to leave it up un attended for long periods.  Just like an awning it is subject to the elements.  

Personally I love my convention oven, cookies, pizza, biscuits.  It's my daughter and I, so it works out well for me.  After a day of driving or exploring, it's nice just to though something in there to cook while I relax and rejuvenate.

No expert, just IMHO

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic