r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing with Honda Odyssey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with Honda Odyssey
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 7:18pm
Hello everyone, 
I've been shopping for a trailer or hybrid for some time. 

I have a young family and was looking for something to tow with my Honda Odyssey 2009. After long hours searching, I’m kind of starting to really like the idea of an r-pod. However, I’m wondering if I can safely tow the RP-176T with my Honda. Of course i’m going to get a transmission coolant.

Can I get your views on this. The Towing capacity for the Odyssey is 3,500 lbs. However, i’m figuring with kids and dog, it’s somewhere around 3,200 lbs and the Rp-176T is 2,495 lbs.

Thanks for your help (any is welcomed)!!!

K.
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 8:25pm
IMHO having at least a V6 with a towing rate of at least 5000#'s would be more adequate and a better choice for safety.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:07pm
IMHO I have a '06 Honda Ridgeline (250hp, 5000#s towing, gearing, Trans and Oil cooling, Over sized brakes, etc etc) and an r-Pod 177. There are times I wish I had more humph !!
We get half the normal mpg, and use premium fuel when towing distances. (recommended by Honda).

After towing Astro home to ILL from OH I was wishing that Honda made a small block V8. But they dont.
I LOVE the Ridgeline, best vehicle Ive ever owned. 5yrs and feeling like its fresh off the lot.

Just an opinion, but if you travel light, use an "Electric Brake Controller", never consider going over  55mph, take the most Level route, you should be ok.

Im not sure this is help or not, but we are concerned about you and your families safety !!!
Please be careful when nearing any limits when towing. Thumbs Up
Jinhe&Me View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinhe&Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:10am
Klami - just a note that there is a 176T on the lot at my dealership and the dry weight is 2611.  That is without microwave/convection but with most other features.  Note that Forest River weighs each R-Pod and they generally come in dry at well over the specs posted.  My 176 is 2544 dry in reality compared to the 2342 advertised.  My tow vehicle is rated to 3500lbs and has yet to be tested.  I am going to be packing very light to keep it within the 75-80% maximum.   At this time, going to a bigger TV is not an option but might be a consideration a few years down the road depending on our towing experience.

R-Pod 176
2010 Nissan Pathfinder LE
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:26am
We tow with a Suzuki Xl-7 and do just fine. It's also rated at 3500. I agree that having a vehicle with a higher towing capacity is better. We don't have a cooler, but we also have an AWD and a CVT (which helps a lot). We have axle risers installed which helps in a more level towing, a brake controller, and a sway control bar (which significantly helps in high cross winds).

Also, consider that the tent models may not be allowed in certain national parks. We have a family of 4 and have towed cross country several times (over the Rockies and did just fine).

Keep your speed below 60 and it'll save tons on gas, but then again...who cares about gas if you're towing? If you expect 20 MPG when towing, then you should think again.

Good luck, be safe, and enjoy your future travels.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 11:49am
The 176T loaded and ready for camping for a family of four, with propane and a battery, food, beverages, clothes, sleeping bags, linens, camp chairs, mats, axe, r-dome, accessories like microwave and a/c, 6 gallons of water in the water heater and another 6-10 gallons in the fresh water tank (handy for roadside potty stops, or stopping at a rest area for lunch), and all the other extras will add 800-1000 pounds of additional weight above and beyond the stated 2495 dry weight stated by Forest River in the brochure.

But, towing isn't just about the total weight of the trailer.  Don't forget the tongue weight: the 176T has a dry tongue weight of 288 pounds.  With a propane tank and battery on the tongue, and various camping equipment loaded into the trailer, this will easily top 350 pounds.  This is not an insignificant weight for a family van with soft suspension made for ride comfort and you'll likely need a weight distribution hitch to bring your van to level and tow safely.

Frankly, I suspect that you'll be pushing the limits of your Odyssey.  I'm sure that you can rearrange the numbers to come within the van's specs by shaving a few pounds off here and there.  But, even then, my gut feeling is that you won't enjoy towing with it.  It'll constantly feel like you're straining the engine and transmission.  The back end of the van may bounce a bit too much.  You'll slow down to 40 going up hills.  In short: not good.

But, I do encourage you to look into the numbers and verify for yourself.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 1:00pm
I agree with Outbound. I sometimes forget that an SUV/Crossover have tighter suspension than vans. Have you thought about a 172? Those are lighter and have a bunk as well.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
klami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 5:52pm
TXS all for your comments, I'm now considering the 172 T which may be a little tighter but still, compared to my tent, a lot better.

Anything else I should know before making the big move... so i'll need a class 2 or 3 hitch?, sway bars, weight distribution, brake control... what else?

David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 7:23pm
    Most class 2 hitchs have a maximum tongue weight of 300 lbs., a class 3 with 350 to 400 lb. tongue weight be a better choice. We started with a class 2 and switched later to a class 3 for the extra tongue weight.      David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 7:36pm

I would look at the factory hitch first, which is a class 2. Our class 2 has a 400 lbs tongue weight from the factory, while a normal class 2 would only have a 300-350 lbs tongue weight.

A brake control is a must, since the POD comes with it. All trailers that weigh more than 2990 GVWR has to have brakes. So, since you have it, use it. U-haul will be able to install one for you fairly reasonable.

Sway bars are nice for crosswinds, but if you load your trailer properly (i.e. 10 - 15% of your load on the tongue), then you won’t even need this. You can get a sway control installed on a class 2. You just have to go through a hitch place that has welding capabilities.

Weight distribution hitches require you to have a class 3 or higher hitch. They are fairly pricey, but it does help with towing. For what we have and what we're doing, it was just not a good buy. We would have had to replace the hitch and buy the WD hitch...lots of money we can spend elsewhere.

Again, these are all opinions based on individual’s experience. The facts of hitch weights and stuff will not change, but how people use their vehicles to tow varies from their experience, comfort level, and amount of money they can spend on the system. Take people's advice, read up on the topics and make an informed decision of your own.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic