r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying from US dealer (i'm a CDN)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying from US dealer (i'm a CDN)
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 7:29pm
Hello All... I'm hoping to make a purchase in the near future and was surfing very actively on US sites.

I realized that the US prices are WAY lower than dealerships here in Canada (in Ontario to be a little more precise). Does anyone have comments to provide me in purchasing from a US dealership? I was surfing on this web site (no publicity intended) http://www.couchsrvnation.com/r-pod/inventory.asp and am thinking about making the 12 hour trip since the prices are so different. 

I appreciate all and any of your comments. any similar experiences and things I should watch out for?
TXS!!!

dockguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 7:41pm
Hi,

I live in Canton, NY just an hour south east from Ottawa near the Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge.  I was also going to purchase an R-pod at Couch's but the drive was 12 plus hours.  I purchased my R-pod a Seven O's - RV Way in Cicero, NY.  They have been very good so far and I will pick up my R-pod 171 in a few weeks.  If you bring in a price qoute from Couch's they will give you a comparable price.  By the time I drove to Ohio the price would have been about the same.  Check out Seven O's RV-Way on the web.  I have heard good things about them from other people on this forum also.

I hope that this helps....

Take Care,
Dockguy/ Ordered R-pod 171 w/ 2005 Toyota Tundra
RCP
klami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 7:52pm
This does help. Did you order your model or was it in stock?
sunylove View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunylove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 8:28pm
We we're supposed to buy in USA too (Couchs). Finally, we bought in Quebec, but we dealed the price a lot. We paid 1000$ more, that's it! It was better to us to buy it here for the warranty and to encourage the local dealer. 
Less space, less things, more life!
klami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 8:31pm
Hey SunyLove,

Can I ask where you bought your R-pod in QC? did you just print off the quote from couchs and go to the dealer with that in hand?
dockguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 8:32pm

Hi,

I ordered my model after going to the Syracuse, NY RV Show in early March.  You can check models on the Forest River page,  www.forestriverrv.com. I know that Seven O's has several models on site, you can give them a call to check what's on the lot.  Ours will take approx. 8 weeks to order.  I actually just spoke to them today as I want to purchase the lift kit for the axles as I do not want to bottom out when going on steep inclines of driveways, etc.  Seven O's has been very good so far.  I have had several campers before purchasing this R-pod.  the R-pod appears well built, has alot of options, are light weight, and easy to tow.   I think that the price is right also once you begin shopping around for campers.

Good Luck,
Dockguy
RCP
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:29pm
klami, I bought my 171 in Whitby at Campkins at a very competitive price.  I did very well, taking my transportation costs from a US dealer into account.  I encourage you to talk to your local dealers who sell Forest River products, bring in comparative pricing from US (including your transportation costs) and try to negotiate a price.  I think you'll be surprised at how much the dealers will come down from the MSRP.

That said, Couch's has a great reputation too.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
QcGuY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QcGuY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 5:12am
hi,
I'm from Beloeil south of Montreal. I got two prices for an R-Pod 172 in Quebec: $ 17,700 and $ 19 000.
Rv Nation price is: $ 11,820 incl preparation ..
My wife and I plan to take a week off to buy the 172 at Couch and visit the area at the same time
But I would like to know from SUNYLOVE the place and the name of the dealer to compare.
See you !
Stephan,Genevieve & Edouard(4 yrs) Ousset
Beloeil, Qc, Canada
Phil H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 7:24am
I bought our 171 from Can-Am RV in London Ontario. I was also quoted $19,000 initially but went back with my calculations of what it would cost me to get one from Couch's including travel expenses, importation fee's etc. Can-Am came within a couple hundred bucks. Try it, you have notihing to lose but your time spent driving to Ohio Smile
2010 R-pod 171 (sold)
2010 Surveyor SV251 towed by a 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche
sunylove View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunylove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 7:27am
As I wrote in my private message to you, we bought our 171 at Lussier. We we're ready to give him 1000$ more than if we bought at Couch's. We finaly paid around 16200$ tx inc.
Less space, less things, more life!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic