r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pod Fire Scare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penny-podding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pod Fire Scare
    Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 1:33pm
All's well that ends well, but the process was quite frightening! Confused

I was packing up our R-Pod 172 for a long weekend trip to Crooked River State Park, GA. Russell (husband) had left to take the pups to the doggy hotel with our 17 y/o. While in the camper stocking the fridge and piddling around, I noticed smoke outside the door. I stepped outside to see smoke coming from under the camper. When I walked around front, I saw fire "dripping" from the underside of the towing frame. WOE! Shocked I ran into the house, turned around twice, then called 911. Since we live in a very small town, the entire fire crew and two police cars came in about 3 minutes. Sirens and all!! After calling 911, I grabbed our fire extinguisher thinking I might spray it on the fire. Then I chickened out for fear of an explosion. Instead, I called Russell and told him what had just occurred so he would not panic when he saw all the emergency vehicles (he has a heart condition!!). The policeman used their extinguisher and unhooked the battery cables. Whew. Fire and ca-blooie avoided. Ermm

We called the dealer and took the Pod right in. They put away their lunch and looked at it. At first glance, the mechanic said the red battery wire had rubbed against the "transition box" and gotten hot. This melted the outer casing which melted and caused the "dripping fire" I saw. This happened to the wire prior to the box that would have shut it all down. The mechanic cut the burned wire off and the end that connects to the battery itself so no one would try to reconnect it. We went on our trip, 4 hours delayed, but safe using only the plug-in electricity. We have an appointment to get this properly repaired next week. The Pod is still under the year warranty so that's great. Embarrassed

I love my little R-Pod and don't want anything to happen to it. But more importantly, I don't want anything to happen to anyone in my family. Or yours! Have someone check the battery wires for wear and heat. Exclamation
The Penny-Pod is on the road!
Penny & Russell
R-Pod 172
2006 Ford Expedition - Darth Vedar!
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 2:07pm
Wow! Glad you and pod are ok! Have not had my 171 on the road yet, but will surely be watchful for any battery wire rubbing. Thanks so much for the warning. Love the way podders look out for each other.
2010 R-POD 171
2003 FORD F-150
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 6:48pm
I'm glad you're ok, and hope that there wasn't too much damage to your r-pod.

"transition box?"  I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand.  Do you mean the junction box under the trailer itself?
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Brin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Outbound Outbound wrote:

"transition box?"  I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand.  Do you mean the junction box under the trailer itself?
Craig was wondering the same thing about the junction box. 
Terri and Craig and Panzer
R-pod 175, 2009
2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab, Diesel
Brin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 7:51pm
Penny-podding---I am so glad that everything is ok.  Thank you for the heads up.  I immediately showed my husband your post and will make sure ours is checked out tomorrow for wear.  I hope your trip will be uneventful (at least for the scarey events).
Terri and Craig and Panzer
R-pod 175, 2009
2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab, Diesel
penny-podding View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penny-podding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Outbound Outbound wrote:

Well I think it was the junction box. I got that wrong. No damage to the camper itself. But the wire was fried.
Penny & Russell
R-Pod 172
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 10:21pm
So Glad your ok Penny !!! & the Pod survived as well. Good for you for being observant, and reacting correctly.

Ive seen your "topic" has almost 100 views as I write this, so you posting this has heightened our awareness to always be alert, and now we can put "give a look underneath" on our "check" list.
Thanks for the wake up call Penny !!! And we all are "so" glad you are ok, and managed to fit in some camping too !!

Thumbs Up
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 10:33pm
Fire is sure scarey!  I'm so glad you are ok. (the Pod too!) 

~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penny-podding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 10:33pm
My biggest concerned, after the smokin', was, "when can we get on the road?"
Penny & Russell
R-Pod 172
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penny-podding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 10:35pm
I'll add to this information when we get it worked over by the mechanics. Then maybe we'll have a better idea of the cause. Keep checking back.
Penny & Russell
R-Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic