r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rdome Brain Storming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:31am
     The should be called the Butterfly procedure after the inventer. Smile    David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 8:27am
Yet another Pod terminology !!! We may have to start submitting these words/expressions to Wikipedia !!!
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 8:44am
When we get settled in at the camp I'll be investigating whether or not a few "ties/Velcro" could be attached near the tab that slides into the guide attached to the Pod, while not interferring with the slot/guide.
It's sort of like the mod where someone had a pull-tab sewn on one end of the insert-tab to help pull it through the guide. Only these would be two pieces (outside/inside) that secure the folded Dome to side of the Pod.
That way nothing has to be modified on the Pod, just the Dome.

Anyone catch my drift ???
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 11:55am
Good idea,   I have some of the heavy duty velrco that has glue on one side.
Probably could glue in place, then tack (sew)down once you get it in the right place.

(used it to put up a mirror on the bathroom door, so far so good it's been on for 3 weeks and on a road trip no movement)

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 12:08pm
I don't have enough room to set up the r-dome, but when I go camping in a couple a weeks I get a picture of this set up.

Ok here is a start to the MOD.  I sewed with machine two patches of denim and put holes in the gray material.  This is the center post receiver,  Have one long (2 yards) the canvas ribbon.   When i fold up the dome i will feed this ribbon around the metal rod where you clip on the other side of the center post.  This will secure the center top part of the dome.

I drilled 6 small holes in the plastic runner ( i didn't want to lose strength in the edge by having a lot of holes stressing that area) hand stitched a think canvas ribbon to each end (about 18 inches).  This will do two things for me.  One will give me some leverage to pull the runner through the rail and secondly will be a securing point  at each end when the dome is folded against the body of the pod.  

In theory I should be easily be able to remove the ceiling poles, thread the center ribbon around the metal rod, and secure both ends (with metal rod) to the r-pod.  (of course the stakes at the outside edges are disconnected.

I'm posting this early because I know a lot of us will be camping soon, so maybe you might have a chance to try something for yourself before you hit the road.  We don't want to many r-domes turning into Kites.  LOL

Safe Travel
LeeClap

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 3:05pm
Great stuff Lee ... looking forward to seeing how it works !!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 12:27am
OK it worked great, and this was a quick job.   Might need to work a little on door clearance but it's workable.  Wind kicked up and while I was gone, but I didn't need to worry.  As I hoped the heavy duty straps on the ends makes it's easier to adjust in while in the rail.

Pull out the top support rods and tie to pod, and when you get back just until and re insert rods.

Have more pictures of SPI, but it's late will complete that thread tomorrow.

Oh before anyone asks I haven't built up the courage to drill in the side of poderfly, I use a couple of elastic cords and attach the ends to the tongue and spare tire. I've tried a couple different suctions cups but the cords work the best with wind.

LeeClap 

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 12:34am
Yes, its developing, BUT, Great Idea so far.... we really enjoy watching it develop Lee !!! Thumbs Up
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 12:37am
 Would command hooks work instead of suction cups to attach the dome to the pod?
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Heidi Heidi wrote:

Would command hooks work instead of suction cups to attach the dome to the pod?

I guess they would. I assume they would have to be for outdoor applications. Perhaps when Dome is not being used they may serve another purpose as well. I guess that depends on placement and/or if you'd like "hooks" on the outside of the Pod.

Suction hooks have been used on Pod when dome is up for hanging jackets and such. Ive seen that posted here somewhere. (Modifications perhaps). I think they are removed when the Dome is taken down.

The Command Hooks are more of a permanent nature.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic