r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rdome Brain Storming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rdome Brain Storming
    Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 11:20am
We all have pretty much agreed that we can not leave the RDome up unattended and it is a hassle to take up and down eveytime you leave the campsite.

So lets Brain Storm some Rdome mods.

Here is a Dome/Awning with ribs, I can only image that it could be folded up and secured.

Here is a somewhat drawing of the rdome and r-pod frame.LOL

So if you modify the rdome with maybe grommet holes at several locations (red circles).  The when you leave the campsite, you remove the 3 roof poles (leaving the long bending rod in place and accordion the rdome and secure it to the r-pod with ties.  Top ties to the fabric and runner then bottom to frame (or body or whatever). 

The dome would be safe from winds, because of weight i would zipper out the front door and storage seperately.

Upon return to campsite untie and replace roof poles.

I'll be camping this weekend and I'll take a more physcial look. 

WHAT DO YOU THINKQuestion 
Food for Thought

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 1:23pm
I believe your on to something. As long as the procedure isn't as lengthy and time consuming
as tearing down & putting it back up. At least this would avoid attaching the Dome to the Pod
again, especially for the "shorter" Podders.
Good idea !!!
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 2:24pm
     It does sound like a good idea. It has been a while since we have had our awning up. It would make since to be able to secure it to the Pod with out taking it completely down.      David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 4:30pm

On my last camping trip, which was the first time I put up my r-dome, I left my campsite with the r-dome up unattended. Some campgrounds are more secure then others and generally I find that RV’ers look out for each other. I feel confident that other RV’ers in the park would have intervened if someone was attempting to steal anything from my campsite and I would do the same for them. This is the advantage of introducing yourself to others who are camping around you. I used to camp in a popup tent trailer, which had no security whatsoever, and I had my laptop, TV, etc. inside when I was away from the campground. Tent trailers are easy to break into and I camped in one for more than 5-years; and then again it may be that I was just lucky.

That said I have thought about permanently attaching my r-dome to the pod simply so I don’t have to keep putting it on the track and taking it off. On my previous pop-up tent trailer I permanently attached my awning to the trailer; it did not come that way but like the r-pod you had to put it up and down thru a track. So I put it on the track and permanently attached it; rolling it up when it was not in use.

My initial perspective on modifying the dome is to put screws along the dome into the pod where it connects with the track and then roll it up in the bag which it came in and somehow secure it to the top of the pod; maybe secure it to the bathroom vent opening or someplace else. This is what I did to my popup awning and that awning was much heavier than the r-dome. There were no problems when towing the trailer with the awning rolled up and secured; like I said I did it for more than 5-years. If I do this mod to my pod I’ll post some pictures to let others see what I did.

takeabreath3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takeabreath3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 9:19pm
one of the pictures the service guy was showing me in the r dome instructions shows the r dome zipped up in a bag attached to the r pod, just like on our pop ups!  we both just looked at each other and then started talking that it may be something that they will be doing in the future!!  like duh, why is it not already like that!

i think the mod ideas are along the right track and would love to see the ideas we come up with to make this all possible.

again and againl....you guys rock with all the great advice and knowledge you have and share with us rookies!

peace out, judy
Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safe in a pretty well preserved body, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up totally worn out, loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 10:24pm

V-e-e-e-e-r-r-y clever, Ms. Butterfly!

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 8:02am
""""  like duh, why is it not already like that! """"" Judy

I agree totally !!!!
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 9:59pm
OK, did a little test on folding back the rdome.  I think it will work easily.  If I get a chance before my next trip I will I'm going to sew some cloth ties on the curve to tie up the roof of the dome, probably where the roof poles attach and one on each side to hold the front legs. 

Little more work then a crack up awning, but just as easy.

LeeClap   

From this configuration, take out three roof poles, leave the strap along the bottom to keep front legs bent, walk back to the rpod and tie off.  (used a couple of bungees for the test).  Forgot to take a picture.  Sorry.   
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 10:42pm
For times when leaving the Pod for a few to several hours, the idea is Great !!!

We'll certainly give it some thought as well ! Way better than tearing it down and putting it back up.

Great picture !

Thumbs Up
takeabreath3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takeabreath3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 10:53pm
i was thinking about looking to see if there was a way to add ties to fold it back and forth!!  thanks for giving it a try and proving it out!!

of course, first i have to get my r dome, the one that was tore and the dealer was going to ship me a new one!!  i'm beginning to get pretty PO'ed since i have not received it, nor can i get him to give me a straight answer!!  but that is a whole nother story!!

i was also thinking about checking with a marine uphostery shop to see if they could sew me up a bag that i could permantly attach to the pod!!!

be safe all, judy
Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safe in a pretty well preserved body, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up totally worn out, loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic