r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lubricating Bearings and Other Bearing Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lubricating Bearings and Other Bearing Information

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MacTx53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacTx53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lubricating Bearings and Other Bearing Information
    Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 10:25pm
If you look real careful at the seam where the cap meets the wheel as shown in the technical drawing supplied by Boldham; there is an ever so slight indent to place the screw driver for the first pry. I found it after I had the cap in my hand and was inspecting the nicks and scratches from my handy work. The 'other' cap popped off easy with no scratches or nicks. 
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 5:50pm
Good Luck Ellis ... U can Do It !!!
Ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 5:33pm
OK never mind. The key to removing the outer-cap (grease) is two use a small screwdriver and remove the cap like a bike tire. Thanks. Big smile
Bob & Linda Ellis
plus Lowie the Westie
2011 R-POD 177 / 2000 Dodge Dakota
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 5:30pm
Its a pull push thingy.... no turning needed. It will have to be encouraged via the excellent instructions supplied here by members.
Ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 5:18pm

Thanks for all the good information. I'm concerned about pulling the first cover. Can someone explain if the outer cap that covers the inter (grease plug) rotates or just pulls out and off.  This looks like I can break pretty easy.Ouch

Bob & Linda Ellis
plus Lowie the Westie
2011 R-POD 177 / 2000 Dodge Dakota
boldham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boldham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 9:38am
Originally posted by George George wrote:

When I did the first original run through when I picked up our R-pod I asked the guy showing us everything to show me how to remove the cap to grease the bearings.  He tried to remove the cap and gave up saying he was afraid he'd break it if he tried harder.  I was in a hurry (stupid! - I know) but I let it go.  Now, I regret not making him show me how to remove the plastic cap.  RATS!Pinch
Don't worry, it is very easy as long as you're trying to remove the right piece! A couple of screwdrivers are handy to pry it off (very similar to removing a hub cap!).
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 9:03am
Thanks to the Sand-man/Outbound, those of us hoping to greese the wheels know what
to do, and what not to do now.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to the Bearings issue.
George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 4:14am
When I did the first original run through when I picked up our R-pod I asked the guy showing us everything to show me how to remove the cap to grease the bearings.  He tried to remove the cap and gave up saying he was afraid he'd break it if he tried harder.  I was in a hurry (stupid! - I know) but I let it go.  Now, I regret not making him show me how to remove the plastic cap.  RATS!Pinch
I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
boldham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boldham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 1:13am

Great info. Thanks!

If you're as thick skulled as me you'll yank on the entire chromed plastic cap for a while before realizing that it is just the end piece that comes off. You'll see the seam between the tubular part and the end piece. See fancy drawing below for clarification. I used a couple of screwdrivers to pry it off.
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 11:06pm
I too carry a 4x and will check that as well. Thanks for the heads-up yakers !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic