r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lubricating Bearings and Other Bearing Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lubricating Bearings and Other Bearing Information

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 4:08pm
Thank you very much Sandpiper; you have given me a much valued education.
WE-2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WE-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 11:59am
A suggestion. Though this is my 1st TT, I've been pulling boat and other trailers for many years. After much repacking and replacemant of bearings, I learned about Amsoil Synthetic grease. It runs much cooler and lasts much longer. I've also not had to replace bearings in a long time.
 I will top off the POD bearings with this and expect to remain trouble free.

check it out at  www.amsoil.com
Dick & Kyra
2010 174 L'il B'ger
09 Dakota 4.7L       
Hampton, Va.
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 3:47pm
I was taught not to mix brands of grease.  I have no idea if this applies to mixing synth grease or not... but it might not be a bad idea to do some research first.

That said, I love Amsoil products and have used Amsoil in my dirtbikes and sportbikes for years and really noticed a difference in engine wear and engine temperature versus dino.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by WE-2 WE-2 wrote:

A suggestion. Though this is my 1st TT, I've been pulling boat and other trailers for many years. After much repacking and replacemant of bearings, I learned about Amsoil Synthetic grease. It runs much cooler and lasts much longer. I've also not had to replace bearings in a long time.

You are right about syntetic grease running cooler but if you have a seal failure and the grease gets contaminated it needs to be cleaned out and changed just the same.

Topping of with another type of grease is not a good idea, the interaction of the different chemicals could leed to seal failure as well as damage the bearings.

Take care,
Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
capringl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capringl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 1:16am
Awesome post Sandpiper! This is really good stuff!
Craig
R-Pod 172
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Sandpiper Sandpiper wrote:

The center of the silver cover in your first picture is removable. I know it doesn't look like it is but it is.
By gum, you're right.  I stand corrected.

That plastic piece looks very brittle, tho.  Has anyone seen replacements anywhere?  I'm sure to break/crack mine.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 2:34pm
Outbound
I checked with the company that makes the rims and they have an catalog that shows the center covers and the caps.
I'll look up the info later today and post it
OK here is the information on the center caps and rims.
The company is Tredit Tire and their number is 800-795-4437.
There web site for their catalog is
http://www.tredittire.com/Catalog.html
The rim is TO3-45545T  and the center cap is CO319 found on page 13 of the catalog.
I guess you have to call or email them to order parts.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
WE-2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WE-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by photog photog wrote:

Originally posted by WE-2 WE-2 wrote:

You are right about syntetic grease running cooler but if you have a seal failure and the grease gets contaminated it needs to be cleaned out and changed just the same.

Topping of with another type of grease is not a good idea, the interaction of the different chemicals could leed to seal failure as well as damage the bearings.

Take care,
   Actually Amsoil grease is compatible with most greases. So , topping off isn't a problem unless there's an unusual, exotic grease in there.
  I agreee repacking is best if there's a need.  However with good bearings  and good seals, topping off will give you all the protection you need.
  Semper Fi
Dick & Kyra
2010 174 L'il B'ger
09 Dakota 4.7L       
Hampton, Va.
yakers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yakers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 10:15pm
This in not related to the bearing issue, but it has to do with the size of the lug nuts on the wheels and the spare.   I am not sure if they are all this way, but you should check before you hit the road. We have a 2009 174 and the wheel and the spare nuts are not the same size. You will need to be sure to have both sizes if you ever need to change the tire.  On my 174 the lug nuts on the wheels are 13/16 inch nuts and the nuts that hold the spare on the back are 3/4 inch nuts.  Be sure to have both size sockets. 
2009 174
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Trek Tandem Bike
Hobie Tandem Kayak
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 10:52pm
yakers
That is good to know.  I carry a four way lug wrench but will check to make sure it will fit both sizes.  Thanks for posting the information.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic