r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap Mattress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 11:21am
They are expensive, but I'm definitely considering one come spring.

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
taima View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 8:13pm

I agree with you, Tink,  I think we will be considering one as well, if we can get one in Canada.  We agreed on our last night before winterizing our 171 R-Pod that the mattress had to go.

I wonder, does this mattress, the bedinabox need to be trimmed to fit the bed on the 171 or does it fit the way it comes. 
Thanks for the info. and looking forward to great sleepsSleepy
Cherie & Terry

So happy traveling with our

2011 R-Pod 171

TV-2013 VW Touareg TD1
dragonfly's r-pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonfly's r-pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 9:53pm
No as long as you get the queen short it is a perfect fit.  Tongue
taima View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 8:22pm

dragonfly's r-pod,

Thanks for your quick reply.  All I need to do now is save my pennies!  Big smile

Cherie & Terry

2011 R-Pod 171

TV-2013 VW Touareg TD1
mustangcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustangcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 7:04pm
HI,
Are you still happy with your mattress that you got at bed in a box? I have the 175. Is that the same size queen? I would guess it is. I did visit the site today and they are a bit costly. Is the RV Queen the same size that you got? Is it comparable to a tempurpedic mattress? or a pillow top? Thanks for any info. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I just want to talk someone first. A good night's sleep is worth it to me. Thanks!!!
Mustangcamper
Sharon & Carrie
rpod 175 Slipper-pod
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6
mustangcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustangcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 7:07pm
Did you have a problem getting the new mattress in without too much trouble? I am considering a bed in a box mattress also. I have the 175 with the queen in the back. The rv queen should fit, correct? Thanks for any more info on this mattress.
Mustangcamper
Sharon & Carrie
rpod 175 Slipper-pod
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6
Cityfox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 7:09pm
Nancy and I have a r-pod 151.  The dining table makes up part of the bed and the cushions make up the mattress.  The cushions are not comfortable at all.  We went to a local foam business and ordered a high density foam mattress 4" thick.  I took measurements of the area we needed, ordered the foam mattress with a terry cloth cover/w/zipper.  We use our r-pod for sleeping only so the table top is never removed.  The cost for the foam mattress was approx. $200.00.  The comfort was priceless.  We eat all of our meals in the cabana, which is a great.  I never looked into a rv mattress so I can't comment on its comfort.  Good luckSmileSmile
taima View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 10:36am
Hi Fellow Mattress Seekers!!

We decided on a local company that sells foam for mattresses, cushions, etc.  They specialize in boats; however could offer us a mattress to our measurements.  They had 3 different types of firmness and we went with the middle of the road and 4 inch thickness.  It cost us $300.00, but we think our nights in our R-pod will be restful and isn't that what the R means in R-pod?  
I cut open the old mattress cover and threw out the old one foam and put our new one in.  There was enough room for a soft foam topper, as well. Then I sewed it back up.  It looks just like a regular mattress and feels great.
Putting it into iits spot was a bit of wrestling match, but we won in the end!Big smile

Looking forward to lots of R and R in the R-pod this spring and summer!

Cherie & Terry

2011 R-Pod 171

TV-2013 VW Touareg TD1
david950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 11:54am
In our 176, with the dinette/bed, we noticed pretty quickly (first trip, though the first trip was a loop from LA through TX, NM, CO, WY, SD, NE, MO, and AR) that the cushions that make up our bed weren't going to cut it.  

We solved the problem in two ways:  

Part one, the seat cushions are much firmer than the back cushions.  One half of the bed is all seat while the other half is made up of two seats and two backs.  It's a lot more comfortable if you put the seats under your heavy parts (torso and hips) leaving the backs for your legs and feet.  

The second half of the solution was to top the bed with a couple of Therm-a-Rest mattresses left over from our tent camping days.  These have pushed comfort way into the acceptable level, and I feel like they are helping prolong the life of our dinette cushions in the process.  They also easily store on the bunks when not in use (which is key), though they can be folded/rolled up if needed.  

YMMV, but we are happy as clams after about 10 nights on the Therm-a-Rests.
camping > working
------------------------
2011 176, 2011 Ram 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic