r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inflatable mattresses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inflatable mattresses?
    Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 7:01pm
Is anyone using an inflatable bed instead of, or on top of, the existing rpod queen bed?

We were looking at one at Wal-mart today that has the air pump built into the mattress. It's 8" high when inflated. We were thinking of using one of these with maybe a 3" memory foam topper on top of it.

Anyone try this?

Thanks,
-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 7:13pm
We are using memory foam on top of the existing mattress. I don't think the mattress will survive. I predict it will start sinking in the middle, and taking us with it. Air Mattress sounds like a good idea if it fit well. I believe that memory foam needs a flat solid surface to sit on, thus turning a platform of plywood into a good nights sleep. How much foam ? that depends. Some are using inflatable !!
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 7:44pm
Air Mattresses work but it's hard to find a "RV Queen size" Full queen is 80" long, RV Queen is 74-75" long. In the Pod it is 75" long. We ordered the memory foam from bedinabox instead.
Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
Blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 8:14pm
I'm gonna try this.
Currently, we've put a 3 in memory foam topper on top of the el cheapo mattress.
Fits good, but only sleeps "just OK".
I'm going to look into this as well.

Coincidence: My name is also Steve and I have a 9 y/o 2 lb, 6 oz chihuahua named Tia, but a lotta times I refer to her as "The Ratdog" LOL
Wandering life's backroads with my wife, our 2 four legged children; Chloe the odd Pug, and Tia Maria, the smallest Chihuahua I'm aware of.
Life is good.
takeabreath3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takeabreath3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 8:50pm
i have slept on my mattress for 3 straight nights...as guess what...yep you guessed it...it's caving in where my butt goes!  what is even worse, i don't even have that big of a butt!!  so i guess i'm now on the hunt for something..what i don't know yet!  i do have a memory foam topper on my bed at home but i'm afraid that it will just sink in that hole as well!!!
so, i'm thinking about removing the mattress completely and coming back with a 6 to 8" memory foam!!  any thoughts on that idea?

peace out, judy

Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safe in a pretty well preserved body, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up totally worn out, loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 8:54pm
Steve,

Originally posted by Blademaker Blademaker wrote:

I'm gonna try this.
Currently, we've put a 3 in memory foam topper on top of the el cheapo mattress.
Fits good, but only sleeps "just OK".
I'm going to look into this as well.

Coincidence: My name is also Steve and I have a 9 y/o 2 lb, 6 oz chihuahua named Tia, but a lotta times I refer to her as "The Ratdog" LOL

We have a 3" topper on our bed here at home. We're going to take it with us when we travel to Ohio to pick up our 177 in a couple of weeks so we can use the pod bed on the way home. Once we get home, we'll decide what to do for a permanent solution. We have a lot of friends who swear by the inflatable Aerobed but if it's too long for the pod, I guess we'll have to forget about it.

As far as, "Ratdog", my avatar is our Rat Terrier, Paige. She's also 9 years old and she's a veteran camper. Like Tia, Paige is a "pod-sized" canine. However, Paige weighs in at 12 pounds. Tia doesn't sound much bigger than a hamster Tongue.

-- Steve

Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:58am
Currently, we are using the original mattress on the bottom, a 3 inch memory foam mattress on top of that and a 2 inch foam mattress topper on top of that.  I bought a mattress barrier that zips everything all together.  Pod_Patrol doesn't think the mattress on the bottom will survive but I am hoping to get a season out of it.  We'll see.
~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:02pm
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Queen-Sized-Air-Bed/895609?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440390082619#Specifications

Here is a highly rated one that is 74 x 60- perfect size. For under $30 it is likely well worth trying. We both slept on an air mattress for an entire summer while I was a camp nurse 3 years ago. Really not bad at all......

John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:42pm
That Coleman at Walmart looks pretty good. The electric pump is $15 so that's still less than $50.

I see there's a Walmart in Hamilton, OH so we could swing by there after we pick up our pod on our way to Hueston Woods State Park where we'll spend the night.

Thanks!
-- Steve

kotasnana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kotasnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 6:48pm
We put 4 inch memory foam on the existing matress, feels pretty good to me
Chrysler town and country
Eastern roundup site 10
R-pod 175
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic