r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Awning / Screen Room

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awning / Screen Room
    Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 4:40am
My wife and I are still very interested in the 176T.  We also like the idea of the awning and screen room attached to the side of the r-pod.  I have a few questions about the awning /screen room:
1.  What are its dimensions?
2.  Does it have a built in floor? 
3.  Does it keep bugs out?
4.  How long does it take to set up?
5.  How big is it, size and weight wise, when it's folded up for traveling?

Any information on it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

George 
I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
ridney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ridney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:03am
George,

Here are some general answers to your questions- I might be off a little but it's close. 

1.  Roughly 8 feet wide by 12 feet long, I'd estimate.
2.  No, it doesn't but you can buy a relatively inexpensive mat for the floor.  We bought a  9x12 foot mat and it's slighly too wide and needs to get folded to fit but it's fine on length.
3.  Sort of.  It's insect resistant but there are issues with trying to make it insect-proof.  The curtain that goes along the bottom of the trailer is the main culprit as you either have to cut it to fit around the axle and step or it hangs over both.  Even when cut it's not a perfect seal.  It'll keep the majority of the mosquitoes and flies out though.
4.  Maybe 10 minutes once you get the hang of it.
5.  The bag that it goes in is maybe 4 feet long and is about 8 inches in diameter.  It doesn't weigh that much, maybe 15 pounds?

I'd definitely recommend getting it.  It really increases the available floorspace once set up.  Make sure to buy better tent pegs or pins as the ones that come with it are flimsy aluminum.  We've had ours up in all conditions and have only had a problem in high wind as it was really straining in 30 mile an hour winds.  Other than that, we've used it in the summer with the A/C running with the door open and it was noticeably cooler inside the dome.  Others will tell you that this isn't what camping is about but we really like the A/C on a hot day after hiking/biking and don't want to get the small camper all sweaty.

George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:24am
ridney,
Thanks for all the information.  I really appreciate your efforts.Clap

We'll probably put a tarp on the ground and maybe some cheap piece of carpeting on top of it.  Also, we might burn a citranella candle to help keep the bugs down that sneak in.  Thanks again.

George
I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 12:11pm
I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013

Retirement Date? Smile 
Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 1:08pm
Yes sir.  Big smile
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 1:32am
I'm a few months behind you on retirement (1 Apr 2014) Big smile

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 8:50am
I hope the Bird of Retirement will be pooping on my head in the near future too.
With the way things are going the paycheck sure is handy !
I'm considering hanging on longer until we can sell the house and get into a full-time RV.
But I hope to be around the same time zone as you guyz.
wrbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 5:07pm
Ours was easy enough to put up on a 174 but it doesn't quite touch the ground by the sides of the trailer where it is attached, and is fine as it extends out. It seems as though the track is too high on the unit , however it does not appear that it could go any lower.
Has anyone else experienced this problem ??
Rob.
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by wrbrown wrbrown wrote:

Ours was easy enough to put up on a 174 but it doesn't quite touch the ground by the sides of the trailer where it is attached, and is fine as it extends out. It seems as though the track is too high on the unit , however it does not appear that it could go any lower.
Has anyone else experienced this problem ??
Rob.

Do you have axel risers?

We put our dome up for the first time last week. We have axle risers and I was concerned it might not touch the ground in the locations you're talking about. The dome does touch the ground at those points, but just barely. There's certainly nothing extra there. And, like yours, the further out you go, the more material there is on the ground. We haven't tried attaching the screen skirt yet so I don't know if it will touch the ground or not. 

-- Steve 

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 6:47pm
I have a 174 and mine doesn't touch the ground on the trailer side either. Makes it hard to put those stakes in the ground!

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic