r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Summerizing the Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:46am
Im still wondering why the Cleaning-Flush and re-entering water through the water-heater isnt included in "De-winterizing"....
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 9:17am
I use park water only for showering and flushing and use bottled water for everything else because I know how poor my well water is and simply don't trust unfamiliar water sources.  I'm not arguing for not sanitizing, just sharing what my dealer told me, and I would add that any "bugs" folks pick up are just as likely, if not more so, to come from the untreated park water as from an unsanitized system.  I have a very expensive system of ultraviolet filters to kill the bacteria in my water here, and you're not going to find that anywhere you go camping - who knows what's in that water.

(Podpatrol:  I think that closing the valve in the "H" between the water heater lines keeps antifreeze out of the water heater, so it gets closed for winterizing and then reopened after the lines have been flushed in the spring.  The various tanks don't need antifreeze, only the lines do.)
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 10:20am
Yes, I realize that, what I'm saying is when one gets "De-winterized" the business that performs this doesn't ever seem to flush it out, then re-open the hot water heater. It seems odd to me, but perhaps that's just the way it is.
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:08pm
When winterizing, my dealer removes the anode rod from the water heater as well as the cap to the fresh water tank so they can dry out completely, thus killing any bacteria that might be in either.  That would probably be a good idea between trips, and leaving the taps open would/might allow air to move freely through the lines drying them out as well.

I agree that there is a lot of inconsistency between dealerships, and I know that I was not given some information which would have been helpful, stuff they just take for granted that buyers will somehow know how/what to do.  The user manual is also lacking in detail, so the problem starts at the top.  Good thing we have each other to learn from.
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by tedbear tedbear wrote:

When winterizing, my dealer removes the anode rod from the water heater as well as the cap to the fresh water tank so they can dry out completely, thus killing any bacteria that might be in either.  That would probably be a good idea between trips, and leaving the taps open would/might allow air to move freely through the lines drying them out as well.

How do you keep critters from getting into your fresh water tank?

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:45pm

Good question.  I think I will get some window screen material, form a small piece of it into a cap and use a Velcro strap to keep it in place.  Since I leave the sewer cap off between trips so it can defunkify, I put screen over it - wouldn't want a wasp to find its way up to the toilet Confused!  As far as the water heater goes, I put screen material on the backside of the door, so nothing can get in there - did the same for the frig vents and furnace exhaust, too.

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by tedbear tedbear wrote:

Good question.  I think I will get some window screen material, form a small piece of it into a cap and use a Velcro strap to keep it in place. 

You could also get 2nd water cap and drill some small holes in it.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic