r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mud Flaps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mud Flaps
    Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 6:28am
According to the Utah Highway Patrol mud flaps are required (in Utah) when the wheels are not inside the body of a trailer. At a minimum, they have to extend below the center of the tire, or below the axle. I might be OK if I didn't have the risers.

These are pieces of a truck mud flap that I cut to size and pop riveted to the fender.
Don

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 8:49am
I was checking that out too Don. Nice job, looks Great !
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 9:45pm
Looks good and good to know about mud flaps are required in certain states.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:43am
Glad someone brought this up as I had modified my trailer last year after receiving a warning.  In Washington state the fenders/flaps have down to the middle of the axle.   After installing the axle risers on my RPOD my trailer was not considered legal in washington state.  (At least according to the state patrol, and the guy I harassed at DOT)  

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.500

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:04am
Up to this point I would have never guessed there would be Mud Flaps in my future.
Isn't Life Interesting ???
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:09am
I wonder if they make mud flaps with the "doodah man" on them?
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 10:21am
If they don't, they should !!
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 10:42am
Hey DON :

what were the measurements you used ?
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 7:45pm
Weirder and weirder.  If your home state doesn't require them do you have to get them anyway?
Pinch
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:05pm
You vehicle is generally considered to be subject to the safety laws for the state your are traveling through.    So if you home state doesn't require them, but you travel through a state that does, you can still receive a citation.    As I own a hot rod, I have unfortunatly received a few citations while driving cross country where a particular state didn't think my vehicle was safe even though it was under my home states laws.
Quite a few laws that that when it comes to safety.    A "few" states have repriocity with other states, where you they agree not to cite you if you are complying with your home states regulations, but its seems to be hit and miss on that.
Its just like how some states post two speed limits, one for cars and one for trucks.   In some states individuals towing a RV trailer have to follow the posted speed limits for trucks while other states you don't. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic