r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power on with battery not connected?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power on with battery not connected?
    Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 11:46am
Will having the battery disconnected, while the Pod's power supply is plugged in, hurt anything?
I have a battery case switch and usually have it turned off when the Pod is at home.  I plug in
the Pod's power, when I am in the Pod. I use a logic-controlled float-type battery charger to charge
the battery when the Pod is in storage. I was told that the RV-installed power supply/charger should not be used to charge the battery, when the Pod is in storage.
tsunami
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by tsunami tsunami wrote:

I was told that the RV-installed power supply/charger should not be used to charge the battery, when the Pod is in storage.

I'm not sure why anyone would tell you to not use your r-pod's converter to charge your battery.  The WFCO 8955 in your rpod has a quality 3-stage smart charger designed specifically for charging and maintaining your battery.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 1:07am
If your battery reads 'full charge', a battery switch can isolate it if you care to do that. The charger in the converter, as Outbound mentioned, keeps the battery in tip-top condition with the '3-stage' smart when connected.
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 10:49pm
Back to my original question...will having the battery disconnected from the converter do any damage?  I generally use the shutoff switch on the battery when the Pod is in storage...and I don't always remember to switch the battery back into the circuit when I am in the stored Pod.
tsunami
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by tsunami tsunami wrote:

Will having the battery disconnected, while the Pod's power supply is plugged in, hurt anything?
I have a battery case switch and usually have it turned off when the Pod is at home.  I plug in
the Pod's power, when I am in the Pod. I use a logic-controlled float-type battery charger to charge
the battery when the Pod is in storage. I was told that the RV-installed power supply/charger should not be used to charge the battery, when the Pod is in storage.

No
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 11:18pm
Generally you should not operate the converter without batteries connected because the RV batteries act as a filter of sorts and provides a more stable voltage to the electronic circuits of modern RV appliances. 

Its not going to blow anything up, but its stated here that it supplies a more stable voltage.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic