r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else have DirecTV in their POD?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone else have DirecTV in their POD?
    Posted: 08 May 2009 at 3:45am
I bought a portable dish and the small receiver to use in the pod.  I don't know why but I have to hook up the cord from the dish directly into the receiver in order for it to work.  I tried using the outlet on the outside of the camper and changing the cables around to bring the power from the dish in through the Winguard outlet inside the camper.  Is this not supposed to work that way?  I don't see how this wouldn't work if you are able to hook up cable through it.

This isn't really that much of a problem except I am trying to avoid wires strewn about the inside of the camper.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
James
Let's hit the road!
rmaco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 12:55pm
I would image there would need to be a switch somewhere to switch from antenna to cable.
tompearce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2009 at 7:30am
Hi.  I think the winegard antenna power switch connects the TV outlet to the external connector when the Winegard antenna power is switched off.  If your dish antenna requires power passthrough from the dish receiver this still might not work if the outside connection does not pass through DC power as well as signal.   Be careful that the outside link does not act as a DC short or it might damage the dish power supply.   It would be a good idea to have an experienced technician check it out.  Good luck! 
Ned View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 2:14pm
You have to go on TV and select air or CATV.  Air is for the antenna and CATV is the terminal near where the electrical connection is located and is for cable.
Ned
Rocket Pod RP-173
Miramichi, NB
2005 Ford Escape
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 5:04pm
Some Pods come set up for cable and a different connector on the outside for satellite. Mine did not, so my husband had to add a cable for the satelllite. That meant drilling a hole in the pod on the outside and running a cable up the wall to the box where the tv is.  Yeah, I know, wire up the wall. Didn't have a choice. But we did get white cable so it doesn't show up too bad. When i want satellite, I unhook the cable  for the CATV on the inside that goes to the tv and put it into the receiver to "out to tv". And the sat cable goes to "in from atenna". From there I just wing it. Is the green light on or off? I never can remember. i just keep playing with it. From the menu, you have to choose "air".  And them do your channel search.  I hope I haven't confused you terribly. Most of the places I go have cable or sometimes even the satellite doesn't work if it's too wooded. I simply experiment. Good Luck!

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 5:08pm
I forgot to say, you do have to have a separate cable. Cable has to go from the dish to the receiver. It can't be the same one already on the outside of the pod. Something about frequency. Don't ask me. Like I said, I just play with it.

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 5:38pm
I have a 2010 172, and my trailer has two cable tv outlets on the outside.   One was labeled satellite and the other was labeled cable.   If you have the powered antenna, the one labeled cable is "supposed" to come up into the cabinet and the powered antenna booster plate.  Switch the booster on connects you to the antenna, turning the booster off connects tv to the "cable" connection.   This connection has a DC block which keeps the receiver from supplying power to the outside antenna. 
The other outside port on the trailer is labeled satellite is "supposed" to be connected directly to the satellite output on the connection plate inside trailer.  (which is the same plate at the antenna booster)
Unfortunalty in mine someone got the cables mixed up so they where reversed, which I fixed just by switching them on the plate inside.  Then was able to get my directtv to work through the existing cable.  And the antenna etc works fine as well. 
The cable inside the rig is actually fairly good quality RG6 cable and not cheap RG58.    When its light out will try to take some pictures of things showing how to check if the wiring is correct and how I have things hooked up.

retired Roxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 8:24pm
I am the crazy lady that will have 3 tvs in her 172. Mine is wired correctly - a friend did it and a professional checked it out for me as he taught me to set up my satelite dish. I hope to have pictures showing the wiring. It works. I had all three operating on satelite. I didn't put in a multiple tv receiver cause I didn't have one. What kind of wiring that would require, I don't have the podiest idea. I haven't hooked up to cable yet. There was a switch box installed to make the switch to cable and yes, I had to have a direct line into my receiver box. The professional installer showed me how to bounce my remote signal off the wall to my receiver and change the channel from my lower bunk bed as my receiver is in the dining area of the 172. co-o-o-o-l   
geneowens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 5:02am
I specifically asked for RG6 cable in my POD when I ordered it but apparently I did not get it - my sat has to be run in directly to the sat receiver. I tried it using the outside TV connection without success.
retired Roxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 6:10am
I have DISH network and I hooked up to the outside SAT plug wire goes into the receiver so that it is a direct line. I know I have splicing there so pics will help. How do we do personal responses? I would give you my phone # so we could talk. Am I the only crazy tv person?
Retired Roxy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic