r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-pod ... A few questions from a new owner!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-pod ... A few questions from a new owner!
    Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 5:28pm
I love the r-pod - I just have a little rant.....

We have had our r-pod 176t for a little over a week and this past weekend was the first time I had the time to do some work to get it ready. I started by following the instructions to sanitize the water system.

To make a long story short, I wound up opening the panels under the sink and in the dinette to look at the pump connections and the hot water heater.

The edges of the cut out openings were rough and splintering and the layout of wires, hoses and cables was a mess! I found a bunch of leftover clip wiring, tons of sawdust and expandable foam all over the place. There are two wires coming in from outside by the furnace that are just sticking there, not hooked to anything. I cleaned out most of the mess, but it would take hours to layout the cables and hoses in an organized manner. If something ever went wrong, it would be like pushing your way through spaghetti to find out whats wrong. I was going to do the mod to put some foam under the pump, but I did not have the time to relocate all of the wiring that went through and around the pump!

In the shower, while testing the pump, i took a good look at the tub floor. There are screws in the base of the tub that hold everything together pointing every which way but straight. I am going to have to remove most of them and re-scew them all in flush. I can see in the future, getting out of the shower and catching my foot across one of those screws!

One other little thing is that one of the screws from the r-dome clips form the outside punctures a small hole in the interior near the top bunk. minor, but annoying.

I am just wondering, is this normal for camp trailer construction?

Also, i have a few questions that I could not seem to find clear answers about:

1. I did not change any valves on anything with the water system. It LOOKS like all the valves for everything are open. I followed the instructions for sanitizing the water system from the forest river book that came with the r-pod. Once the pump had a chance to purge the air in the system, the pressure seems to be really low, like a small stream trickle. Im not expecting a high pressure stream, but I got more pressure from my 77 vw bus sink that what I am getting in the r-pod. The pump is turned on and the tanks are full. Anything I can do to increase pressure or it that what I can expect?

2. I turned on the water heater - the light on the rocker switch comes on for a bit and then turns off. Is that normal? Does the heater stay on or do you have to switch it off and on again?

3. The furnace works great but it is very loud. no question here, just a comment ;)

4. None of the outlets work just off of battery power? really? How and where can I hook up an inverter with outlets for a few small devices - OR - how about a couple of 12v outlets?

5. I think the 19inch tv is fine, i just want to mount it in the entertainment center - I have a tilt mount but the wall seems really thin. Any tips for mounting it? should I just screw a wood board to reinforce the wall?

Thats it for now - I will add some photos too!

Hot Water Heater - Valves Open?Extra Furnace Wires?Rats Nest

Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 6:13pm
Quote I am just wondering, is this normal for camp trailer construction?

Yes it is.  I'd even expect to see this type of construction in $60,000 fifth wheels.  $200,000 class A motorhomes have a better build quality.  Its just the way of the RV industry...

Quote 1. I did not change any valves on anything with the water system. It LOOKS like all the valves for everything are open. I followed the instructions for sanitizing the water system from the forest river book that came with the r-pod. Once the pump had a chance to purge the air in the system, the pressure seems to be really low, like a small stream trickle. Im not expecting a high pressure stream, but I got more pressure from my 77 vw bus sink that what I am getting in the r-pod. The pump is turned on and the tanks are full. Anything I can do to increase pressure or it that what I can expect?

From your picture, the valves at the water heater look fine.  The middle one is closed, the two main ones are open.

It does sound like your water pressure is very low.  'Trickle' is not the word I would use to describe how much water pressure my water pump produces.  Although its not nearly as strong as residential water, there is a significant amount of water flowing.  You may want to take your r-pod back to your dealer and have him check it out.

Quote 2. I turned on the water heater - the light on the rocker switch comes on for a bit and then turns off. Is that normal? Does the heater stay on or do you have to switch it off and on again?

This is normal.  The light will come on/stay on if the burner won't light (i.e. you're out of propane)

Quote 3. The furnace works great but it is very loud. no question here, just a comment ;)

This is normal.  I've heard this same complaint from owners of various TTs - they're all noisy.  I've as yet to see good advice on quieting the furnace. You may want to consider using a ceramic heater when you're camping on a site with electrical hookups.

Quote 4. None of the outlets work just off of battery power? really? How and where can I hook up an inverter with outlets for a few small devices - OR - how about a couple of 12v outlets?

This is normal.  Frankly, an RV battery does not contain enough power to run 120v appliances for very long and installing an inverter and switching electronics really isn't cost effective.  I'll let you hunt around on these forums for more information.

You can install a 12v outlet if you'd like.  Its not hard to add a new circuit to your converter.  You seem to be comfortable pulling out panels: you can determine the most convenient places to install 12v sockets, run wire back to your converter and use a dremel tool to cut holes for the sockets.

Quote 5. I think the 19inc tv is fine, i just want to mount it in the entertainment center - I have a tilt mount but the wall seems really thin. Any tips for mounting it? should I just screw a wood board to reinforce the wall?

I'll leave this for others with a 176T to answer.  I'll just advise that I would try to add a brace from behind.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 6:41pm
Hi Miolia !!!

I too started looking around once we got our r-Pod home in October. I too noticed the saw dust and small clippings of wire and the unorganized runs of wire, not seeming to be very diligent as to the length or the path they run. As mentioned the RV industry isnt as regulated as the Auto industry is.
These things I noticed were more of a neatness bug-a-boo I have when it comes to such things.
But I understand what your saying !
Our furnace exhaust is lined up alittle to close to the wall via the hole through the wall. That concerns me cause the exhuast gets "hot". I plan on looking into that.
We have 2 holes in our "Emergency" window frame where no screws are present. Just the holes in the flange.
I haven't noticed any holes inside from ourside scews yet.

On the water lines, if the knob is turned such as the top one in your picture then it is open.
The handle is parrallel with the line 'usually' indicates "OPEN".
If the handle runs counter to the water line such as the "middle knob" in your picture (the one not circled), then it is "Closed".
Your top line and your bottom line are open, the line connecting these two lines is "Closed", or that is the way it appears to me. Please get some more opinions before any action.

Your "house" outlets in the r-Pod are only available (I believe) when you are "plugged-in" to AC.
I got a three prong circuit tester and plugged it in to all of "these" outlets when I had AC "unplugged", and got no indication of power present.
My "guess" is you have to wire an inverter to the electrical center of the Pod since there are no 12V sockets in the Pod. They may not be safe for an inverter anyway, but I'm just guessing here.
Please get more infoe from some of our "expert" residents here.

If the water-heater light comes on, then turns off, I believe that means a successful lighting.(?)
Be sure to have water in the Water Heater when you turn on its LP (model 117 by entry way), or the electric switch ( outside panel access), on.

Yes, the furnace is rather loud, but works very well.

There are many TV mods here, please check them out and read the procedures other Podders have used.
Try doing some searches with "key" words pertaining to your inquiries. There are many talented people here with some great ideas, or just the facts.

Great pics ... thanks for sharing, and pictures really do get the point across when words seem to just skim the issue.

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 6:55pm
[QUOTE=Miolia]I love the r-pod - I just have a little rant.....
The edges of the cut out openings were rough and splintering and the layout of wires, hoses and cables was a mess! I found a bunch of leftover clip wiring, tons of sawdust and expandable foam all over the place. There are two wires coming in from outside by the furnace that are just sticking there, not hooked to anything. QUOTE]

The R-Pod will be our 3rd RV trailer. All 3 were made by different manufacturers. Our experience has been that what you're seeing is very typical. That just seems to be the way it's done in the RV industry.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Mikolia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 7:51pm
Outbound, Podpatrol and Ratdog... Thank you!

yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 12:34am
We owned 3 pop-ups and 2 TT....they ALL had the same mess.  I blame it on the men working on the lines...it's like sweeping the dirt under the rugLOL....just kidding..
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 7:42am
In terms of the seeming lack of pressure when you turn on the water, try removing the screen at the end of the faucet.  Then turn on the water - - - It wouldn't be a surprise if the screen and line had a bunch of shavings and debris that accumulated during construction.  Try this before you hook up and go back to a dealer.  Joe  Smile
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 8:00am
Wall mounted flat-screen TV: you may wish to look at Sandpiper's visit to the FR factory, in the Miscellaneous Section. He has a series of photos showing the aluminum wall framing. Using the photos in conjunction with a 'stud finder', you could put the TV mount on a secure part of a wall.
tsunami
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 1:20pm
Have new 171 and there appears no way to remove a screen from the kitchen faucet to check for sawdust. Am I missing something? Thanks for listening?
2010 R-POD 171
2003 FORD F-150
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 1:41pm
I had to un-screw the end of the faucet to get to the screen within it.
Ours was filled with sawdust and a rather large chunk of wood.
This was causing water to spray out sideways where the end connected.
I unscrewed it, took it off and attempted to remove as much as I could.
It is still spraying alittle, but the water flow improved greatly.
We are hoping to resolve this by replacing the washer that comes off
when you unscrew the end.
We have a 177, so please check with an owner of the same model as you
before trying to remove anything, or consult your dealer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic