r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Service work when buying out of state

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acoustic5679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Service work when buying out of state
    Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 8:10pm
I am still undecided on whether to buy out at Couches (2k cheaper) or buy locally.  Has anyone had any experience in getting warranty work done when buying out of state at a place where you did not buy it?
Acoustic man

desperately want a 171 or 177
2004 Mitz Endeavor
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 8:18pm
I bought my 173 at Couch's and I have it serviced at Camping World in Savannah Ga. no problem
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
acoustic5679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acoustic5679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 8:23pm
did you buy any kind of extended service other then the 1 year warranty that comes with it?
Acoustic man

desperately want a 171 or 177
2004 Mitz Endeavor
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 10:59pm
Most dealers prioritize those who bought a trailer from them first, then consider accepting work from walk-ins.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 11:04pm
We bought at Couch's...We spent a night in Ohio to test things out.  We had a furnace issue that appeared to be resolved.  However, when we got home, to IL  the furnace did not work.  We called Couch's and they told us to call the service number.   We were referred to a Forrest River seller/sevice place about 10 miles from home...We have had no problems getting waranty work from the local place even though we purchased at Couch's.  If fact, the local place knew all about Couch's and said they were the number one R-Pod sellers in the country....
~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 11:08pm
Forest River has update their web-site with an opening page encouraging perspective buyers to buy local, and the warranty repair issues that may arise when taking to a local dealer you "did not" purchase the FR product from.

Even though several Podders have had success with their local dealer to do warranty work (when/if needed), there is always a chance there may be issues.
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 11:09pm
It depends on the dealer.  In Wisconsin we had 2 dealers, we needed warranty work done (a minor job) and we went to the closet dealer and they told us we had to take it back to the dealer we bought it from.  Too bad for them too, because we would have bought more stuff from them and used them for service work on the Rpod after the warranty ran out. I personally would  stick to a dealer close to home to avoid ANY possible problems.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 11:43pm
When a dealer signs a contract with a manufacturer they usually agree to do warranty service
for any unit regardless of where it was sold.  The service department will be reimbursed by the
manufacturer.  Part of the dealer's profit is usually dedicated to help with warranty costs.
However, don't let a dealer refuse to do the warranty work.  Most States consider a licensed dealer
as contractually bound to do warranty repairs.

A few years ago, Chrysler-Jeep Corp tried to insist that I have warranty work done ONLY at the selling dealer, which was over a thousand miles from my home (after I had moved).  Minnesota's State Attorney's General Office contacted the Head Office and told them that Minnesota would pull ALL of Jeep's State Licenses if they didn't allow ALL dealers do warranty work.
tsunami
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 11:54pm

Forest River Encourages You to Buy Locally

Forest River, Inc. strongly encourages our retail customers to purchase from their local dealership whenever possible due to the following factors:
  • Our Dealers are as a rule, independently owned and operated businesses. Outside of those customers they personally sold products to, they are not contractually obligated to perform warranty service on Forest River products that were purchased elsewhere. There may be an occasion that you would be required to return to the point of purchase to satisfy warranty requirements.
  • Although many dealerships will eventually service products not purchased at their place of business, they will usually take care of their customers and other Forest River customers who are traveling away from their local dealer as they would their own.
  • Local purchases allow a customer to establish a relationship with a dealer close to home. This relationship provides the customer with a convenient location for service and support from a "home town" professional.
  • The opportunity for a thorough PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) and product orientation is an additional benefit of buying from your local dealer. Further providing the opportunity for refresher courses or the ability to get questions answered much more conveniently.
  • For our Canadian customers, there are also requirements which must be met to bring an RV purchased out of the country to their home. Although not insurmountable, these requirements may involve such things as additional inspections and certifications, taxes and fees. Your local Canadian Dealer is a professional at meeting these requirements.

Forest River's goal is for all RV Owners to fully enjoy their RV experience. In light of this goal, and considering the advantages of buying local, we encourage you to be thorough when determining what product to purchase and which dealer to purchase it from as both are key to your ultimate satisfaction and the realization of your dreams.

This is what is posted at the Forest River Web Site (Find Dealer).

In the end, this is what a customer lives or dies by. They have posted it for all to see, and I think as far as fair goes, this is fair. Dealer relationships are fickled things, but business is business.
If they want the business they'll do the work, if they dont, they wont.
We spent money at the local dealer here. Im sure they were happy to accept it.

As stated before, it all depends on the dealer.

Y Guides Lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y Guides Lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 8:19am
My "local" dealer, having lost the sale not on price, (they are actually $37 cheaper), but on annoying financing options, (Couches got me 100% through a bank, local dealer said I'd have to go through a Credit Union which wanted our W2's, 2 latest pay stubs, AND we had to open an account... thus letting money just "rot" for the duration of the loan), has said that I should at least always remember them when it comes to maintenance and repair work.

They actually told me to check the brochure, but said "unlike other dealers we WILL do any repair/warranty work you may need in the future."

I told them that it's good to hear they're a smart business... because, (as I said in another thread), my comment to any such dealer who will NOT do the work:

"So, Mr/Mrs Dealer, you're telling me that because you didn't get the actual sale, that you're willing to lose out on arguably more money over the long term?  You'd rather get NO money from me than quite possibly more than the profit of the R-Pod would have given you?  That's cutting off your nose to spite your face and not very good business practice.  Some money is ALWAYS better than NO money."

Frankly, I wish I could have bought locally given the benefits they offer... but no way was I jumping through those hoops when Couches had me 100% financing through a bank, no W2's or pay stubs needed, no requirment to open an account... just submit my info and boom... 100% deal.

Shame really.

Anyway, I apologize for digressing a bit here.

I highly doubt that if you put it that way they'd turn you down completely.

<shrugs> Tell them to split the difference... drop the price $1K and you'll buy from them and have it serviced by them.

If you're financing $1K is not that big a difference in payment.

Just my 2 cents.

Take care,
Lou

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic