r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksinclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 1:50am
I will also be new to travel trailering, and my husband and I have been shopping for a TT for months, with the primary view of getting an Rpod.  We've explored many options, including Pop up Tent trailers, the Rpod, we looked at the MPG (ick), and other, larger super light TTs with low GVW.

However, the other day husband came home and said you can't go just by the tow rating number.  The vehicle itself has a maximum weight load.  You have to consider the curb weight, the weight of all the passengers in the vehicle, the gear, the tongue weight, the weight of the TT.

When we crunched through all the numbers, we reached a sad realization that the Nissan Xterra, in spite of being a small SUV with a 5000 tow rating, is really not up to towing the heavier Rpods.  We have two teenagers, so basically four people in the family that are adult weight.  We could get by with a 172, but it's really too small for us.

Tomorrow we're going to go look at some more tent trailers. just thinking that since we're new to the whole trailer thing, it might be best to start off with something we know is WELL within our towing capacities.  A tent trailer will also give us more interior room, and just seems the right "first step."  Then, after the teens (and their weight) have left, we can sell the tent trailer and pick out an Rpod.
postalpanzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote postalpanzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 5:16am
If you have a tow rating of 5000 you should have no problem with an Rpod our tow rating is only 3500 and we did the mistake of putting on a class II hitch package.  Just make sure you have a class III hitch package and the Rpod shouldnt be a problem most of us are pulling with less than an Xterra

pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 10:40am
We spent many years in a tent trailer before purchasing a Pod.  We camped with our kids from age 8.  They are now in their 30s.  If you get a tent trailer, get one with a potty.  You will be much happier. Pop ups tend to feel more spacious due to the many window openings.  There are lots of cons to the popup.  It takes longer to set up. The zipping and unzipping of the windows became a real chore for me.  After a rainy camping trip, you need to raise your popup, at home, in order to dry it out.  If you do not, you will have a smelly camper.  You will not be able to use it during cold weather, although some people do.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Tamms View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 4:50pm
I agree with Pepperpod. I had a popup when my kids were young (when popups were inexpensive). I got to the point though of actually hating camping because of the work involved, the smells, the dampness (no AC), etc. We sold it when the kids were 12 and 14....two years after the last camping trip (kids were 10 and 12 then).

Fast forward to this summer...new husband, no kids camping with us (regularly anyway) and in the market for a camper. We thought we would do a popup but decided we would just keep tenting if that was our only option. We then "discovered" the pods and well, the rest is Nerd history.

BTW: My kids (and hubs' kids in England) range in age from 21 to 27 and most still camp in tents with their friends and all have fond memories of camping when they were younger. So no matter what you choose, you are going to make some great memories.
Tammy, Robert, and Linus the morkie (Two & a Half Nerds)
'10 RP-174 (Nerd Pod)
'07 Dodge Ram 1500 quadcab
Heretic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heretic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 11:15am
We have a tow rating of 5200 lbs (4 l v6) - and after 2 trips (RP 171) I'd say the tow lbs means very little.

I found our Bravada just sucked the fuel - revved high even going up medium grades - just been to Edmonton and the Foothills. 

Speed wise between 90 - 100 km/h and only got 33 l/100 kms! (that's only 7.13 mpg for you US folks).
Fuel economy dropped by over a half!

We want to go to Vancouver Island next summer - that means up and over the Rockies - I am seriously looking at getting a F150 for a tow Vehicle.

2011 171 "R2D2" pulled by a 2010 F-150 Lariat - UPDATE: Traded our Pod for a 2013 Catalina Santara 212BH
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 10:54am
The 150 comes highly recommended !
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 1:46pm

There's a discusion someone on getting a heavy duty f150 and the different types of  f150's.  I think the light weight is no better then a 6 cyl for towing, or that's the impression I got.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
GoTak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoTak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 1:58pm
I towed my 172 with 2003 F150(5.4L V8) whole this summer in Southern Alberta not in Mountain. I got around 18L to 22L / 100km with always 90km/h.
2010 r-pod172
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by GoTak GoTak wrote:

I towed my 172 with 2003 F150(5.4L V8) whole this summer in Southern Alberta not in Mountain. I got around 18L to 22L / 100km with always 90km/h.
No offense Gotak

on page nine of the above discussion there is mention of the differences bewteen the f150's.  You I think have the heavier duty model.  But unless someone pointed it out to me I would have never known.

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
bike45-44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bike45-44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 8:01pm
We have a 2010 Ford Edge and tow a 177 R-Pod (2500 lb). The truck has a factory tow package. I live in Michigan and have towed it to both northern Mich. & the Gulf Coast. No Large mountains like in the west but the Edge pulled up any grades we encountered & some really strong head winds, too. I tow at 60 to 65 mph depending on conditions. I seen motor homes over heat on long upgrades if pushed to hard and they have a truck chassis. The Edge never showed any sign of heating even on hot days in the South. The gas mileage Confused is what really takes a hit. The R-Pod is high and wind can be more of issue than grades because they can go on for extended period time.
Pat & Walt Newman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic