r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12V receptacle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ks.Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 1:59pm
Can someone tell me what size wire they are using for the 12V receptacle?
I am glad we have this forum to go when we need info!!!!! I would be lost for sure!!!!   
Thanks all.   
Kevin & Donna
2010 R-Pod 176
2011 Ford F150
Lariat Supercrew
Mikolia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 4:09pm
Not sure what the gauge is exactlly, but I would guess 12g.

I tapped into the antenna jack power (167-T) and basically just wired in a 12v socket that sits on the shelf under the TV now. I plugged in a 3 way power outlet as well.

Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 12:53am
Just to let you know I haven't made the mod yet.  I was at a truck stop last we and was looking through there 12 volt items and found a 12 volt extension and the package said 16 gauge 4 feet long (to hook up to an 12 volt connection.)

So my next trip to Lowes I was going to pickup some 16 gauge and starting working on my mod.  

I maybe wrong, and some please let me know if I assumed something I shouldn't have from the package.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 7:54am
Originally posted by PodPatrol PodPatrol wrote:

So, do you think that your 12V socket is tied in with the TV antenna booster 12V power wiring ??? (just curious)

Yes, I'm positive that its on the same circuit.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 7:57am
Lee,  I hooked up a 12 volt outlet in the outside storage compartment of our 175.  I used 12 ga. wire because I will use this outlet to power my 12vt air compressor if needed.  I also use it to power the auxilliary exhaust fan I added to the fridge compartment (it may run for days at a time non-stop).   I would use at a minimun 14ga. wire on your outlet in case you want to use any hi-amp draw items.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 10:40pm
OK I have 12 gauge wire and an receptacle.  I'd liked to run the wire under the floor.  There's a whole under (and behind) the fuse panel with wires going down, and the same wires come up under the stove.  

This is for my 12 volt coffee pot, and I would like to have the receptacle near stove /sink area.  

Anyway the question is has anyone been able to used that route or should I just go around.

LeeClap
VenturaTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VenturaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 1:15am
Ahh...the question of why FR did not include even a single 12v receptacle inside the Pod...well, beats me what the answer is!

I have been working on a project to bring 12v power to our 177 pod.  Two weeks ago I bought a 60watt solar panel array from Costco....maybe a bit over the top, but the price was too good to pass on.  It is a Sunforce unit.

The unit is assembled and makes electricity.  Then I have built a box to hold the solar charge controller and added into the same box a 12v external receptacle.  I put it all in a box used to mount 110v circuits on your patio or outside.  This is now installed on the hitch, alongside the dual battery setup.

Next will be to add dual 12v outlets at the front end of the dinette area....possible another by the slide out kitchen....maybe one more/or only by the "tv/dvd" cabinet over the bed.

Finally another external 12v near the rear of the Pod, along with a built in inverter (I hope) near/below the shore power 110v outlet on the door side of the 177.  

Why so many?  The outside 12v will be utility or to run an LED set of christmas lights (clear) outside the pod at night in the Dome.  Inside will be primarily for powering various chargers for cell phones, my Dell mini laptop, the mini-TV etc.  I thought about adding USB connects for 5v charging but there are 12v cigarette light adapters that can do that easy.

I hope to finish up soon, then detail pics and outcomes soon.

TJ
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab
Cummins 5.7L Turbo-Diesel
R-Pod 177 Owner

Former VW Camper then Tent/Dirt Camper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 10:02am
I have a 172 and the yellow boxes are holes that go under the floor, (blue line is wire bundles) but when I push the wire though from either direction it seems to stop mid floor.  I'm sure the other wires go though.  I wonder if they lay the wires then block the hole.  Otherwise I'm going to have to run where the red line is and I think I read somewhere your not suppose to go more then 10ft with a 12volt line.  I do believe that the red line would be longer. 

Q1.  Has anyone been able to run a wire under the floor (do I need one of those fishing things the cable and electric guys use)?  Think I'll send a copy to forest river and see what they say.

Q2.  How far is safe to run a 12 volt line (in feet). 

LeeClap

Getting ready for a POD MOD Weekend!!!

sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 10:11am
Now I need to go exploring and see if there is a 12V hiding in the pod!
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 10:17am
Butterfly_Lee
As long as you have sufficiently sized wire you can run 12V as far as you want.  After all there are lights on the back of semi trailers and some of them are 53' long.  Our r pods are 18 feet long.  There are tables of wire size versus maximum length versus load carrying capacity available but off the top of my head I don't have a handy reference.  Maybe I can find one and send you a link.

Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic