r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with Pets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traveling with Poodle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traveling with Poodle
    Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 12:24pm
Personally we don't leave our baby alone for any longer than a trip to the bathroom. She would be fine I'm sure for several hours but I have yet to be anywhere that the pet could stay in the camper unattended. Soo our 100 lb baby goes where we go canoeing hiking and for trips to get ice cream. We just make plans not to go places that she can't go too. If you are planning places your dog can't go I would ask at the campground for local kennels. 
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 11:55pm
Texas is VERY hot in the summer and many cities have rules about dogs in cars/trucks, with be fines, but I've not read anything about TT.

Where are you going?  Check with your camp ground about leaving the the poodle inside, if it's ok with them the your set.  You might check into boarding during the day, if your going to stay in area. 

Wendy is small, I have a soft sided kennel for her, on our last trip some of the places we visited along the way let her stay in a storage room or in a guarded area (I think six flags and sea world have free kennels for travelers) so we could take the tour and she wound not be hot (no a/c in the POD, just in a parking lot).

On mild days we have put Wendy in the Pod with windows open and gone in to a restaurant for a meal, the pod stay pretty cool even without a/c.

Also if she is going to be in contact with lots of dogs or in kennels you may check with your vet about the flu shot for dogs.  Wendy gets hers tomorrow.  Also make sure you have your shot records and tags will be much easier if you board her for the day.

One of the reasons I want to hook up a 12 volt connection, is to run a fan when boondocking or just parked.

My two cents
LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 2:28pm
Check the campground rules where you're staying.  Many campgrounds specifically prohibit leaving your dog unattended, even inside the trailer.

That said, our border collie will happily snooze for an hour or two in our r-pod while we're out and about.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Daystarsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daystarsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 12:39pm

We also travel with our four-legged friend!  In the pod we treat her just like at home - same disciplne and same routine.  That includes leaving her alone sometimes.  Since she believes that the pod is hers she is okay with that. 

I usually leave the blinds up a bit so she can see out, water and food as usual, heat or air as needed.  Do the same and I think your baby will be fine. Smile

Becky
PoodlePod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PoodlePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 11:31am
We got a camper so we could travel with our four legged child...and I know alot of you do the same.  So here is what I really want to know, even though we are never to leave them unattended we all must- how do you handle this- especially in the summer? Do you leave them in the pod with the ac running?  We are driving to Texas this SUMMER and Arthur our standard poodle is going too but he will not be able to go everywhere with us so I need suggestions!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic