r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using WD-40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using WD-40
    Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:00pm
I was on another forum and came across this bit of information.  I thought it might be beneficial for those of you who have the rdome and might use it.  This was written by someone who had WD-40 analyzed and his results.

Anyway, the results of WD-40 came back to me quickly, as they had analyzed this
product many times previously. It was a very light weight oil, like an SAE 2 or
so with a gas propellant in the aerosol can. So, be advised NOT to put WD-40 on
anything you would not put oil on such as rubber products as it will deteriorate
the rubber.

Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 11:31am
A friend informed me that he wipes on a coat of WD-40 on the front of his travel trailer before
he hauls it.  He says that it allows him to easily wipe off any bugs that dry on the front.
Has any one else used WD-40 for this use?  Also, if it works, would WD-40 harm the
'silicon?' sealant used on the POD seams?

tsunami
George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 6:33pm
I use WD-40 as a cleaning solvent to clean my bicycle chains and components.  It works great as a solvent on metals but I keep it away from the paint on my bike as I have heard horror stories about WD -40 ruining the paint finish.  I would also keep WD-40 away from nylon which might be the material that the r-dome is made of.  I'm not sure cause I haven't opened the r-dome box yet.
I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 6:59pm
I bought an aerosol can of silicon lubricant for use on the R-DOME tracks and door hinges.  The can states that it is safe for paint, rubber, nylon, etc. I may try it as a coat on the Dome's front and see if
it will help in wiping off bug splatter. 
tsunami
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 7:42pm
love bugs!  anyone live or traveled in florida knows what i mean.  If silicone helps with that i'm spraying!
Shocked
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

Wyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:03am

WD-40 is primarily a water repellent, not a lubricant, and it can damage various materials. It is also great for removing glue residue left from price tags and other adhesive stickers.

I use silicone spray on the track for the R-dome and it allows the dome to slide very easily, in addition, the silicone does not stain or damage the rubber or fabric.  It also should not harm the decals on the trailer.  It is great for taking squeeks out of hinges and lubricating locks.
Wyn & Gail
R-171
Hudson Valley, NY
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:16am
We use to use WD-40 years ago for our bicycle chains until we took them in for a tune up.  The tech there advised us against it and introduced us to silicone spray.  Now that's all we use.  It's great stuff. 
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 11:24am
Anyone who wants to know more about WD40 can read it on Wikipedia. 

I use silicone on the pod track. 
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic