r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2" lift kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2" lift kit
    Posted: 13 May 2010 at 3:23pm
Hi all!  We've had our R-POD 171 a year now and have fitted it out pretty comfortably.  There is still one problem we haven't solved.  We've experienced inadequate ground clearance in the back and have finally ripped one of the rear stabiliser jacks off trying to negotiate a ramp to access a campsite.   I know there is a 4" lift kit available through Forest River, but that is too high to work with our Jeep Liberty.  (the rear mounted spare tire doesn't allow using a high lift hitch).  A 2" lift kit would work perfectly.  Has anyone seen a 2" lift kit that would work with the R-POD?  Thanks.
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 5:03pm

Off hand I don't know of a commercial one.   With the axles torsion axles a lift kit is basically a properly fabricated lift block.   I would think that a reputable trailer fabrication company could be able to frabricated and install them for you.    Doesn't look like it would be that complicated for them to build.  Just bring trailer in along with some pictures of what the 4inch lift block looks like (I bet someone here could supply pictures) and I would bet they could make some.  Cost might be a bit high though, could run easily around  $700 installed.  

Some other ways to gain a few inches at the back.  The other route to go, which I have seen folks do on the airstreams, is get larger rims and tires but you usually will only pick up an inch or so there.  I carry a lower drop hitch that is 2 inches lower then my normal tow one.  For those situations where I know the back will bottom out.   Its handy when you get into a jam with out stripping bottom back of trailer.

tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 4:13pm
Have you measured the 'level' height of your Pod versus the receiver on your Jeep Liberty? I installed the risers myself and before they were installed the Pod sat slightly below the receiver.
I pull my 'risered' Pod with a Jeep Liberty Renegade,  with the Tow Option.  I also have a
weight distributing hitch installed.  The hitch fits the receiver below the spare tire without
any contact even when cornering.  I wonder if Jeep height varies by year/model/tires?

tsunami
Bill & Greg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill & Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 4:29am
We have a problem with the height in back of the trailer too.  Backing up our driveway.  I installed wheels, which are hanging down 4 ", they are right next to the jacks.  Now when we back up, the wheels hit and bring the trailer up some.   I didn't want to rise the trailer up any higher, it up high enough and takes enough gas to pull it already..
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 1:55pm
Purchase the 4" lift and have a fabricator cut off 2" of the flat/bottom side of each one.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 3:45pm
That definitely will not work unless you weld a flat plate back on and drill holes in the proper place because that is where the axle bolts to the riser.  I just finished installing mine yesterday.  Another potential problem is that the vertical pieces have slotted holes and removing 2" would be right in  the slots.  Not a good idea.  Besides the risers are only 3 1/2" out to out ( I measured them) so 2" off would only leave a 1 1/2" riser and the socket to turn the 5/8" HHCScr is 1 1/4" diameter.  In my estimation not worth the trouble.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 6:18pm
If the only problem you are having clearance is getting in and out of a driveway, the easiest way to deal with that is to get a drop hitch that has an additional 2-4" drop on it.    Most folks have clearance problems on the back of their trailer as they are backing into their driveways but have enough clearance at the front.   By removing your "towing" hitch and putting in a lower drop hitch, the nose of trailer is angled more down, raising the rear of your trailer so you can get in and out of your driveway.
Most machine shops would rather build an entire new bracket then modify one you brought in.   As when modifying the bracket they are unsure of quality of steel in original bracket, and its integrity.   So for safetly reasons they usually will want to make the thing from scatch.  
Ks.Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ks.Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Sandpiper Sandpiper wrote:

That definitely will not work unless you weld a flat plate back on and drill holes in the proper place because that is where the axle bolts to the riser.  I just finished installing mine yesterday.  Another potential problem is that the vertical pieces have slotted holes and removing 2" would be right in  the slots.  Not a good idea.  Besides the risers are only 3 1/2" out to out ( I measured them) so 2" off would only leave a 1 1/2" riser and the socket to turn the 5/8" HHCScr is 1 1/4" diameter.  In my estimation not worth the trouble.

Sandpiper- (or anybody who knows) Was it very difficult to install the risers?
I have read that a air impact wrench is needed, which I have. And I see you have just installed yours so.............
I just need to get some tips on performing this job and not messing up my "PRIDE & JOY"!!!! I have seen other posts about podders putting them on, but no details. For example, do I put a jackstand under the frame close to the axle and after I remove the bolts, does the axle "drop" down @ this time or do I "pull" it down and slip in the riser?   Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
Kevin & Donna
2010 R-Pod 176
2011 Ford F150
Lariat Supercrew
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 9:44pm
If you own an air impact wrench and know how to use it , you shouldn't have any trouble installing the risers.  The risers come with instructions on how to install them.  I didn't have an impact wrench so the job was a little tougher.  To torque the bolts I had to use a 2 foot cheater and lots of umph.
One recommendation I would make if you are going to install them and that is purchase four new 5/8"-18 UNF x 1.5" Grade 5 hex bolts and nuts.  Throw away the ones installed on the Pod.  Mine were over torqued and had the threads deformed.  I replaced them with grade 8 bolts because here in PoDunk PA I couldn't find grade 5.
Follow the instructions and you can do the job if you are mechanically inclined.

Yes use jack stands but not close to the axle because you need to work there.  Yes put a floor jack under the axle before removing the existing bolts because it will come down when the bolts are removed.  Actually, without the jack under the axle the bolts will not come out because of the weight of the axle.
Follow the instructions that come with the risers and by all means work safely.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Ks.Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ks.Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 10:16pm
Will do on working safely!!!
Thanks Sandpiper!
Kevin & Donna
2010 R-Pod 176
2011 Ford F150
Lariat Supercrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic