r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using a Generator with R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlhyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using a Generator with R-Pod
    Posted: 13 May 2009 at 1:59am
I've read on here where some folks have used a generator to run the R-Pod. I just purchased a new 2000 watt generator from Northern tools that is supposed to put out 16.5 amps. I used the power cord that came with the R-Pod and with an adapter can plug into the generator.  Each time I start the generator, the power overload light comes on the generator, with nothing turned on in the R-Pod. Does the master panel in the R-Pod need to be turned off?  Anyone got any ideals what may be wrong.  Thanks    JIm
jim
Joe & Cissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe & Cissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 4:01am
Could be the circuit board on the generator.  Generator is a little undersized, to get 20amps you need 2500w gen.  3600w would be better, it would put out 30a @120v.
Always Welcome at OuR-POD
capringl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capringl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 7:11am
Yeah that sounds like a problem with the generator or your wiring. Can you run it with it unplugged? Do you get the same results? I bought a 2KW Honda Generator and it is definitely not big enough. I can run most of the things in my camper but the AC and the microwave need to be ran separate and sometimes the AC still trips it. My plan is to buy another 2KW GEN and run them in parallel. I like mine because it is small and quiet...weighs about 50lbs so 1 person can carry it. 
Craig
R-Pod 172
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jlhyatt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlhyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 9:11am
I called Northern Tool warranty service about the generator and they couldn't figure out the problem either. I ordered the Honda EU2000ai. Received it today, oiled and gassed it. Started on third pull.  The A/C will operate at 3/4 power, and the Microwave will operate at full power with all lights and radio on.  You can not operate both the Microwave and the A/C at the same time, this will overload the generator.  Thanks for the reply.
Jim
jim
capringl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capringl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2009 at 2:40pm
Yeah I bought the same generator...I think I'm going to buy another one. We like to dry camp and right now I can't watch a movie and and have the A/C on...every time the A/C kicks on it shuts my TV off. But I do love the Honda generator! lightweight and dependable...just like the Rpod.
Craig
R-Pod 172
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Stan and Linda Irvin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan and Linda Irvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 4:22pm
I'm not an electrician but I play one at work but, don't forget our power cords themselves carry more amps than most low end generators can supply. This drop can simulate low amps due to the resistance.
Stan and Linda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic