r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1st Pod Adventure - Canadian Rockies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 1:07am
Originally posted by Jinhe&Me Jinhe&Me wrote:

I do have a WDH.  Although  I noticed on the weekend that the receiver (? the part bolted to the Santa Fe) has a notice on it to NOT USE a WDH as it is a weight carrying hitch.  <sigh> So I need to go back to the dealer on that.  My Santa Fe is all wheel drive.  So far what I have learned is any or all or perhaps none of the below:
- not enough weight on the hitch
- too much weight on the hitch
- WDH tension bars too tight
- WDH tension bars too loose
- TV and Pod need different shocks
- Air bags required
- Think about a longer wheel based vehicle
- Ensure the front of the trailer is at least 1" below the back end (trailers should not be level)
- Trailers must be level - ignore those who tell you otherwise
I am going to talk to both the Hyundai dealership and the R Pod dealer and see if I can get some answers.   I may have to consider a second hand truck if the situation remains.  It is just me, my daughter and our two small dogs and I don't want to put any of us in a dangerous situation.

Thanks for any input.

LOL You are absolutely right but it doesn't help much, does it?  Let me put my 2 cents (cdn) in here:

If you are using a WDH and still have porpoising something just isn't right and you should have it checked out by an expert.

I may have to consider a second hand truck if the situation remains
If you can swing that, that is what I would do.

As you probably know our original TV was a Ford Escape, after a couple short trips I knew that it was doable but I was not really happy with it especially since we were planning long trips for this summer and fall.

We did trade the Escape and got a Dodge Dakota (tow rating 6100 lbs) but I'm still using the WDH and it just works like a charm. Another plus of course is that now I can take stuff in the back of the truck that formerly had to stay home. (Like the generator and extra gas)

We have RVd and camped for over 40 years but it's been a long time that we have pulled a  travel trailer and things are a little different. Gone are the heavy cars with large V8 engines that could tow a 25 foot or larger trailer. At the same time we have seen a number of horrific accidents due to bad hookups and driver inexperience and therefore we like to err on the safe side.

Take care,
Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
Jinhe&Me View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinhe&Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 12:47pm
tdrace - what type/make of hitch receiver is on your Santa Fe? 
Turns out that I have a weight carrying receiver combined with a WDH.  My current receiver clearly states right on it that it is not to be used with a WDH.  The dealer claims the notice was so small 'their guy' couldn't have been expected to notice it.  The dealer now wants to eliminate the spring bars off the WDH and replace with a regular 'platform' and swaybar.  I still don't think this will solve the problem with the loss of steering control because of the weight on the rear axle.  I still think I need the WDH to level the load out to the front axles so believe replacing the receiver is necessary with continued use of the WDH.  The dealer is going on the advice of the hitch shop (where they subcontract the hitch installation) that pulling a trailer under 3500lbs does not require a WDH. 

Note that they originally quoted $1500 for the installation of a hitch and brake controller.  When I brought in the Santa Fe's manual which states that "Use a quality non-equalizing hitch which distributes the tongue load uniformly throughout the chassis", I was charged another $500 for a hitch that meets Hyundai's guidelines. 

And while the battle continues, I can't use the Pod because it is simply too dangerous given the lack of steering control and the bouncing around.  Argh Angry

R-Pod 176
2010 Nissan Pathfinder LE
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 1:19pm
I have the Equalizer E-2 hitch. Couch's Rv put this on for me and I have never had a problem.  They put this on when I bought the r-pod. I drove 14 hours home and have never looked back. I would go to a rv dealer or hitch dealer and they should be able to help. i can drive mine on the interstate at 60-65 with trucks passing, no problem. I had never pulled anything befor and feel very safe.
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 1:22pm
The Equalizer E-2 cost about 400.00 and very easy to use.
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by tdrace tdrace wrote:

The Equalizer E-2 cost about 400.00 and very easy to use.

I agree. I have one, too.

On a previous TT, I had the type that uses chains to put the load on the spring bars and cam action to control sway. Worked great but very noisy. Lots of groaning and popping noise when going slow and turning corners as the steel rubbed on steel. I was not a popular person when pulling out of a campsite early in the morning <g>.

With the e2, there's no noise and no hassle. I've pulled TT's with weight distributing and sway control and I've pulled them without. There's a huge different in how the trailer behaves with one of these installed. As for me, I won't leave home without it.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Jinhe&Me View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinhe&Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 2:44pm
Update - based on your input, I just had a tearful call (Cry - not proud of that, but it worked!) with a business manager at the RV dealership.  She acknowledged that I have the wrong receiver and hitch combo.  And you are all right in your recommendation on an Equalizer. That is what should have been put on in the first place and what I paid for and she can't understand where the communication breakdown occurred.   They will get the whole rig in, change out the hitch set up and road test it themselves until they get it right and safe to operate.  Guess they have had some issues with the RPods and the small tow vehicles getting the right combo.  But they have a combination worked out now and they are committed to making it right.  I feel so much better.  I can see myself upgrading the tow vehicle in the near future and before planning long road trips but it takes the pressure off financially if I don't have to do that this year. 

Such a relief and my faith has been restored in my dealership.  That being said, if I didn't have the knowledge and experience to draw on from this forum, I would not have had a strong and well articulated argument composed.  So thank you all.
R-Pod 176
2010 Nissan Pathfinder LE
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 10:03pm
Let us know how it goes! You are going to be pleased. I wish you the best of luck. Happy Podding!
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 10:06pm
Ratdog How do you keep your Equalizer from making noise? Mine does groan when I turn. Someone suggested I clean the bars with brake dust cleaner.
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 7:56am
Originally posted by tdrace tdrace wrote:

Ratdog How do you keep your Equalizer from making noise? Mine does groan when I turn. Someone suggested I clean the bars with brake dust cleaner.
Tdrace - Do you have the type of spring bars with the flat ends or with the cam set-up? So far I haven't heard any noise from these flat ones. But they're new so maybe the noise will start up. I'll know in a week because we're headed out with the pod.

The spring bars with the cam action I had on my other TT were terribly noisy. On those occasions when we would be leaving a campsite early in the AM, I wouldn't hook up the spring bars until I was out of the campground.

The one thing I do know, for anyone reading this who doesn't know already, you DO NOT put oil or grease on those spring bars to hush the noise. It defeats the purpose of the bars (friction).

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 11:15pm
Redistributing the weight may help.  When it comes to safety, we too believe in WDH/sway control.  We used an Equal-i-zer WDH (http://www.equalizerhitch.com/productinfo/) which is different then the equalizer e2 hitch.  They now carry one for light weight TT's (400/4000).  Do a search on the web for a better price.  Price's range around the $400-500 price range.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic